Fuji S3 Pro - Thoughts Please

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm looking at an S3 Pro, currently a Nikon D50 owner, so thinknig I can use my Nikon lenses on the S3 if I were to get one and keep the D50 as backup and for a quick-shoot camera if my Tele lens is in use on the second body.

Can anybody give me their thoughts on the S3? Been reading some reviews and it sounds to be good. I shall be using it for Motorsport Photography, so do you think it would handle well at that?

Also, I have a Sigma 70-300mm for my D50, would this fit onto the S3 without any problems? I'm guessing so as it's a Nikon F mount, but worth asking anyway.

Any info you could give would be appreciated, I like to hear peoples views following article reviews you see ;)

Thanks in advance :)

Dan

I had an S5 for a while and it is a fantastic portrait camera and anything upto say 12ft, after that the AF was a bit unreliable and slow.

I think the lenses you mention will fit.

****...so even if I did have a day in the forests Rallying I'll need a boa load of batteries lol?

I like the price of used S3's on eBay, but I'm beginning to think the speed might be an inssue with Rally cars and 300mm on the Sigma might be porr AF :(

Sharpness is the problem, colour is fantastic.

Bummer, shame that is.

I'm trying to find shots of motorsport from an S3 but not havin much look lol

Mind you, I could keep the D50 to house the 70-300mm and just use the 18-70mm on the S3 for wide shots :D

Have had my s3 for over 4 years and has never let me down,having said that i dont think it is the camera for motorsports as the buffer can be a bit slow if you are using raw and shooting on continuous, its much better suited to the studio, as for batteries i tend to get around 300 out of a set of 2800 ni-mh and carry several sets with me at all times.

Bummer, shame that is.

I'm trying to find shots of motorsport from an S3 but not havin much look lol

Mind you, I could keep the D50 to house the 70-300mm and just use the 18-70mm on the S3 for wide shots :D

Yes that would work, the Fuji camera needs good glass, do a search on the forum re the S5 and glass. Also per the last post the buffer is very slow, again is no going to be very helpful with rally cars!

I had the S3 and its a cracking camera but the buffer is quite slow and I shot aircraft. As for batteries I thought it did very well,never needed to change them rthat often unlike the s2 (now that did eat batteries)

Thanks for all the replies.

Right, I'm going for th S3 lol, ging to keep my D50 for my Motorsport as it's never failed me and I always like the images it gets me, and so will us the S3 Pro for my Landscape photography and for when I'm doing still car shoots.

Can someone just confirm to me that the S3 Pro will be ok with my Nikon 18-70mm, Nikon 50mm f1.8 and Sigma 70-300mm until I can get better glass?

I'm excited now, looking forward to having a new toy and something which is a bit more than what I already have.

Thanks, appreciate your help guys and gals ;)

Dan

djaphoto, I had a looked at the S3 and the S5*–*both on the reccomendation from folks on here and a few pros I know*–*but I opted for the D200 instead for the faster AF and fast fps. The S3 in particular is a good buy these days at the fleabay prices they're sleling for.

Why not look at a D200 instead if you shooting faster stuff? You can get them for sub-£450 now and it's a hell of a camera. Of course the D300 is much more modern technology-wise, but the 200 is still a great buy.

Thanks for all the replies.

Right, I'm going for th S3 lol, ging to keep my D50 for my Motorsport as it's never failed me and I always like the images it gets me, and so will us the S3 Pro for my Landscape photography and for when I'm doing still car shoots.

Can someone just confirm to me that the S3 Pro will be ok with my Nikon 18-70mm, Nikon 50mm f1.8 and Sigma 70-300mm until I can get better glass?

I'm excited now, looking forward to having a new toy and something which is a bit more than what I already have.

Thanks, appreciate your help guys and gals ;)

Dan

Yes all those lenses will work. I think you will find the S3 will be superb for portrait shots. Have a read of this

http://www.bythom.com/fujis3review.htm

You could sell your D50 and just buy a D300 think you would be impressed and you could get one off here for £750. Given your glass this might be a better option.

I would stick with the D50, excellent bit of kit, and put the money towards a decent lens. I've had the D50 and S5Pro, Finepix is great for colours, but not so hot on speed.

From the D50, I went to D200, but the D50 is really a cracking camera.

Youll love the Fuji colours, the D200 isnt as good *** the 300 and 700 onward have upped the game.

Nothing to do with the S3 but i have to say djaphoto, thats the best Avatar on here (y) (y) (y) :D

Thanks for all the replies guys, much appreciated.

I've taken the advice on board and checked out the links, very usefull.

I've bought an S3 :D

Just paid £298 off eBay, looks to be in very good conditon, everything is there that is meant to be, and seems good. For that price I couldn't resist having a play with one purely for the rich colours and dynamic range for my Landscape photography...the D50 will stick to doing a good job that it does on the Rallying ;)

Will be posting some pics in the near future so look ou for them

TG Up The Villa!!!!! ;)

I am a S3 pro for two years. It is a great camera indeed. Nice tone and always good image contrast. I used Nikon D70 before I got S3 pro. The white balance of D70 is always not accurate, but S3 pro makes it well.

Power is not a big issue. I used Sanyo Enloop rechargeable battery. Each set allow for more than 400 pics. However, I do not support your idea because you will find it a nightmare for quick shooting.

S3 pro is so slow. It takes around 2 secs to save and write in a photo. It would be a problem for wedding photography or other static occasion, but not for sport.

However, since you bought it, just enjoy it. It could not be wrong for most times.

It is a pitty that Fuji stopped their S Pro series DSLR.

Thanks for the reply Ogre...

Appreciate and agree with your info but I'm actually keepng the D50 for Motorsports (not the S3) and using the S3 for landscapes/portaits of my niece an non-motorsport photography basically, so hoping it should do a good job ;)

Back