Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Wonder when we'll start seeing these refurbished on the Fuji site. :D

Also, with the free lens on the XPRO1 atm, it complicates the choice a bit...

Wonder when we'll start seeing these refurbished on the Fuji site. :D

Also, with the free lens on the XPRO1 atm, it complicates the choice a bit...

Price on the X-Pro 1 just dropped $300 in the US....

Very interesting write up Jonathan. More informative than 10 ordinary reviews. Many thanks.

Thanks Paul - like I said I find I learn more in a couple of hours of real shooting than days of testing.

I'm reading conflicting views, but does the XE1 have face detection?

How's the AF in low light?

Sounds like the X100 then.

Maybe Fujifilm should teach us their thinking, when they came up with the system.

Sounds like the X100 then.

Maybe Fujifilm should teach us their thinking, when they came up with the system.

In some situations the X100 is faster in my opinion. The XE-1 is just a smaller cheaper version of the XP1, any hyped performance advantages are absent in my experience. I took it out again yesterday and I remain a little frustrated by it, even in fairly basic scenarios. I still feel like I've got a beta camera in my hands. The niggles I'm experiencing just should not be there. A few more thoughts here:

http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/fujifilm-xe-1-and-olympus-omd-em-5-at-hampton-court-palace/

In some situations the X100 is faster in my opinion. The XE-1 is just a smaller cheaper version of the XP1, any hyped performance advantages are absent in my experience. I took it out again yesterday and I remain a little frustrated by it, even in fairly basic scenarios. I still feel like I've got a beta camera in my hands. The niggles I'm experiencing just should not be there. A few more thoughts here:

http://lindsaydobsonphotography.com/blog/fujifilm-xe-1-and-olympus-omd-em-5-at-hampton-court-palace/

Interesting stuff - and some pretty pictures :D.

I keep hearing good things about the OM-D. But I have enough cameras.....

I wish there was a decent eye cup for the X-E1 - like the X-Pro 1 if you have it in eye start and the light is coming over your right shoulder you can pretty much forget being able to frame the image.

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like i'll be trying my best to get the most out the X100 then.

Interesting indeed.

A few weeks ago I started a business thread discussing the potential of the X-E1, and the Fuji X-Series in general as professional wedding cameras. Since then Ryan has posted his experiences, and some lovely images.

I think at this point I'd have no hesitation from a quality standpoint, the X-Series are clearly well suited to high ISO work. The focus speed still worries me and the current lack of lens options.

The OM-D has also caught my interest but I struggle to get my head around the prospect of using a MicroFourThirds sensor for wedding photography. Although I accept it's possibly just me being closed minded.

Although. Thinking out loud here. Wouldn't I be able to to use the MicroFourThirds sensor to my advantage? By that I mean shoot all day long at f1.4/f1.8, allowing more light in and still getting the depth of field I need to make the images useable. This should help keep ISO down.

Last edited:
The OM-D has also caught my interest but I struggle to get my head around the prospect of using a MicroFourThirds sensor for wedding photography. Although I accept it's possibly just me being closed minded.

Wouldn't I be able to to use the MicroFourThirds sensor to my advantage? By that I mean shoot all day long at f1.4/f1.8, allowing more light in and still getting the depth of field I need to make the images useable. This should help keep ISO down.

John, I suspect you've been put off by previous Micro 4/3 incarnations. The OMD is something else entirely. Try and find one to have a play with even if it's just at your local camera store. However the camera does require customisation in order to create output to suit, and therefore out of the box settings can be ignored.

I do know a couple of professional wedding photographers who use the XP1, but with caveats and with a particular shooting style in mind, and always alongside a DSLR. I also know professionals who use OMDs as their sole cameras, and I can understand why. The lenses alone are a joy.

Yes, Micro 4/3 can offer some advantages at times, exactly as you say. At the end of the day it's a personal decision as much as anything - handling can be a dealbreaker for a start and if you have large hands the OMD might feel rather small and a bit fiddly.

Hadn't given this much thought when I first saw it but after having to get rid of my A77 kit a couple of months back I'm looking again.

Planning to get a CSC / Compact and then a DSLR just for motorsport next season (Used D300 likely).

Was tempted by another X100 or the Sony RX100 but I loved the X-Pro 1 and while I can't afford another this looks really really good.

Well I've been an idiot and ordered one with 18-55 lens. Trouble is I don't want the zoom lens, so will need to sell it on and find the 35mm for a good price. Camera price buster still best place for prices?

Well I've been an idiot and ordered one with 18-55 lens. Trouble is I don't want the zoom lens, so will need to sell it on and find the 35mm for a good price. Camera price buster still best place for prices?

Zoom lens is meant to be a cracker, camera price buster probably still the best price site.

Yer, I keep reading that, but I'm trying to keep the camera as pocketable as possible and the 35 is the perfect focal length for me....plus it's fast! :D

Still considering another X100? ;)

Last edited:
It's nighttime. It's dark. It's cold. You're in a foreign country. But the Fuji X-E1 still does a pretty nice job of B&W.

(Resized only - this is my standard B&W mix. ISO 3,200)

DSCF5652.jpg

Well my happiness in receiving the XE1 was cut short when I realised I'd lost my Abrahamsson red soft mini release! :(

Never-the-less, come a few weeks from now when I get my cashback from TCB and I've sold the 18-55mm lens, the camera and 35mm won't have cost me far shy of £800...bargain.

Hardly had a chance to play, but as I struggled to find any pictures of a silver with 35mm, I thought I should do the honours and fire a couple up. :)

Untitled by drb5, on Flickr

Last edited:
It does a bit doesn't it? I still prefer the X100 mind you. It has a more vintage look about it, which i like and the XE1 appears more sleek, due to no VF.

Good news too....i found my Abrahamsson!!!! :D:D:D

Well my happiness in receiving the XE1 was cut short when I realised I'd lost my Abrahamsson red soft mini release! :(

Never-the-less, come a few weeks from now when I get my cashback from TCB and I've sold the 18-55mm lens, the camera and 35mm won't have cost me far shy of £700...bargain.

By all accounts I've heard the 'kit lens' is rather good, not tempted to keep it?

I am very much so, but the basis has always been size and with the zoom, it's larger than with the 35mm. Ok it's still not pocketable and is larger than the X100, which I'm a bit disappointed about, but for the money I'm happy.

Just to add, I love the one camera and one lens thing. 50mm is my perfect FL and with f/1.4 it gives me the bokeh I want. :)

I'd agree to a certain point. DoF is minimal, so it needs viewed large to recognise that imo. Besides, i'd expect at 25600, it SHOULD soften it a bit?

Last edited:

Never-the-less, come a few weeks from now when I get my cashback from TCB and I've sold the 18-55mm lens, the camera and 35mm won't have cost me far shy of £800...bargain.

Hardly had a chance to play, but as I struggled to find any pictures of a silver with 35mm, I thought I should do the honours and fire a couple up. :)

How did you get it at that price?

Which company did you by with to get cashback?

You know it's the right thing to do Chris.

I see Currys have the 10.1% cashback again... :p

Been checking Currys daily and it's been out of stock for ages but advertising at £999 which is a bit naughty!

Sod's law!

After selling the 18-55, I've been asked to photograph my sister in laws wedding! :rolleyes:

Back