Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Really enjoying the X-E1 as a carry everywhere cam :) Here's some snaps with the 16-50/3.5-5.6 OIS kit lens (last one was with the 35/1.4):

New hat by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

A bit of a mess by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

High street by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Ying yang? by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Cactus rainbow by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

Are those first couple of pics in PDC just up from the Petrol Station / Bio Shopping centre?

Been to Lanzarote about 20 times and have friends who have an apartment up that way, although I haven't been for a few years due to illness.

Are those first couple of pics in PDC just up from the Petrol Station / Bio Shopping centre?

Been to Lanzarote about 20 times and have friends who have an apartment up that way, although I haven't been for a few years due to illness.

Yup, 2 and 3 certainly are :)

Last edited:
If it helps at all...

I use Minolta Rokkor lenses on my Sony A7 and Panasonic G1 and they work very well and I'm sure they'll work well on a Fuji. You may have to enable an option in the camera menu to be able you to shoot without a lens attached (the camera can't see old manual lenses) and you may be limited to Manual and Aperture modes (if Fuji have those?) but IMVHO these manual lenses are a joy on CSC's. :D

Yes, you need to enable "shoot without lens" in the menu and there's no need to select M or Av modes because Fuji settings are more intuitive than most - if the camera can't communicate aperture information with the lens you're only going to get what is effectively manual or aperture priority mode anyway. There is no PASM dial.

There are also menu options for focus peaking that help with manual focus, setting this to LOW is more accurate than the HIGH option. You can also set and select the focal length that will be recorded in the exif, but this has no effect on how the lens shoots - and I always forget to change it when changing lenses.

Nice RB67 lurking in the background ;)

It's a 645j but thank you.
I found another one for around £24 that's says 'allows infinite focusing' does this mean that the cheaper one does not allow it?

I've not heard of any problems when using old SLR lenses on modern CSC as the registration distance is much shorter than that of the SLR's these old lenses were originally used on and all you usually need is a mount adapter that also acts as a spacer restoring the original registration distance.

There shouldn't be a problem with infinity focus with any adapter for the Fuji system - the register distance isn't cutting it fine for adapting to most other mounts. But I would always choose an adapter that stated it that infinity focus was fine rather than one that ignored it in the description.

One pet peeve I have with adapters is how the focus scale lines up once the lens is mounted - look to see how the red dots align if you can. I have two QBM-FX adapters (the second just arrived this morning) and one is buitin such a way that the focus scale is about 40 degrees off to the side, whilst the second has the focus scale roughly where it ought to be on the top of the lens when mounted. It's an annoyance having to rotate the camera to visually check the aperture dial/focus scale on the lens.

So I sold some of my Canon stuff and bought an X-E1 and the 18-55 yesterday, ideally I want the 35mm but I can't afford it yet.
/QUOTE]

Currys are selling the 35mm for £359.10 with the 10% discount code and with Fuji £100 cash back makes the lens only £259.10.

a couple with my cheapy adaptor and Nikon 105mm Macro. Bucket loads of noise on the screen so not the easiest setup to focus! But they came out ok. Used Silver FX Pro and Colour FX Pro for processing after Lightroom had a go at them.

Got a 35mm today and underwhelmed would be a good description, AF is noisy and none too speedy either. Going back tomorrow, prefer the 18-55mm, stabilisation is more important to me than a couple of extra stops.
Stupid hood too with its rubber cap that falls off, know its a lot cheaper, but not in the same class as the 14mm

There shouldn't be a problem with infinity focus with any adapter for the Fuji system - the register distance isn't cutting it fine for adapting to most other mounts. But I would always choose an adapter that stated it that infinity focus was fine rather than one that ignored it in the description.

One pet peeve I have with adapters is how the focus scale lines up once the lens is mounted - look to see how the red dots align if you can. I have two QBM-FX adapters (the second just arrived this morning) and one is buitin such a way that the focus scale is about 40 degrees off to the side, whilst the second has the focus scale roughly where it ought to be on the top of the lens when mounted. It's an annoyance having to rotate the camera to visually check the aperture dial/focus scale on the lens.

Have you got grub screws on the adapter?

On my M42 adapter I had to loosen the grub screws for the lens to line up. Align lens and red dot on camera side of adapter and retighten grub screws. My FD adapter has the red dot markings and is smack on, when lens is tightened to adapter with it's twist lock.

Does anyone know if you can use a Canon 430EXII flash as a slave triggered from the XE2's on board flash? I can see in the flash setting there is a commander mode but cannot seem to get the two things to work together?

Does anyone know if you can use a Canon 430EXII flash as a slave triggered from the XE2's on board flash? I can see in the flash setting there is a commander mode but cannot seem to get the two things to work together?

The Canon 430EXII doesn't have optical slave as far as I remember and can only be triggered from a Canon "master" e.g. 580exII or STE2

You'd need to add an optical slave adapter to the shoe of the 430EXii, but if you're doing that you might as well go for a set of radio triggers.

If you've got an old set of Yongnuo CTR-301P receivers kicking around in a drawer, I'm pretty sure these have a dumb optical trigger mode (for example).

You'd need to add an optical slave adapter to the shoe of the 430EXii, but if you're doing that you might as well go for a set of radio triggers.

If you've got an old set of Yongnuo CTR-301P receivers kicking around in a drawer, I'm pretty sure these have a dumb optical trigger mode (for example).

Nah don't have any. Think I'll sell the 430. Anyone got a recommendation for a good fuji compatible flash?

I'm sure I used to trigger it off camera from my 600d on board flash.

The 600D acts as the master flash in that scenario, although it used flash pulses to trigger the 430 it's not a "normal" optical slave mode.

Yes the Yongnuo CTR-301P definitely has the optical trigger (got one in a cupboard here) but as you said radio triggers would be a better investment if you don't already have one of those already.

Nah don't have any. Think I'll sell the 430. Anyone got a recommendation for a good fuji compatible flash?

If you are happy with manual flash then have a look at the Yongnuo YN560 Mk3 and the Yongnuo YN560-TX.
The flash has a radio receiver built in and the 560-TX allows full control of the flash remotely. You could probably get a 2 flash set up along with teh remote for the price of your Canon 430.

If you want TTL then you really have to go with Fuji at the moment or pre order a Nissin i40

The flashes and trigger are just a single pin connection for firing. Not sure if there are different versions? Shouldn't need to be.

Ah ok, it's either this or the Neewer setup with Li-on battery.

I bought one of the neewer flashes before yongnuo brought out the 560tx. The big advantage is obviously the long battery life and fast recycle times. Disadvantage is a slightly higher cost. I sold mine and stuck with the yongnuos as they give me more than enough capacity from aa nimh batteries. One advantage they do have is being able to control flash zoom from the controller.

Have you got grub screws on the adapter?

On my M42 adapter I had to loosen the grub screws for the lens to line up. Align lens and red dot on camera side of adapter and retighten grub screws. My FD adapter has the red dot markings and is smack on, when lens is tightened to adapter with it's twist lock.

I had to do the same on a M42 to X adapter, the red line on lens wasn't at the top (as it should be), so had to loosen off the grub screws and rotate the lens, all lined up perfectly now :).

m42 adapters generally have the grub screw, the one QBM adapter that bugs me doesn't. But I've now got a second adapter that lines up near-perfectly.

(m42 adapters tend to have a threaded insert, bayonet adapters are more likely to be machined in one piece - I prefer bayonet adapters because even a slightly stiff focus ring usually ends up with me screwing the lens off the adapter in use. I'll be ditching my m42 lenses shortly)

Further updates on QBM-FX adapters..

I've received a new Rolleinar 28mm f/2.8 MC through the post today. Popping it on the "good" adapter (red dots align and focus scale is on the top of the lens when mounted) and the discovered that that the aperture repeater pin on the QBM IV mount fouls the adapter and restricts the aperture range from f/2.8 to about f/7. A quick check with my Rolleinar 85mm f/2.8 which is also a QBM IV and it does the same thing, but the available range is f/2.8 to f/11 (probably why I didn't notice it before, I wouldn't usually stop-down below f/11). The "bad" adapter that places the focus scale rotated around to the side of the lens has no such problems. I guess that what I thought was a design problem was actually the result of better design!

Last edited:
Recieved my black xe2 today with 16-50 50-230 and 35mm can't wait to take it on a test tomorrow I have a x100 and the autofocus in this seems loads and loads quicker

Back