Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

I think I'm going to be buying an X-E1 to upgrade from my X10 very soon. I'll be buying it refurbished from the fuji site and will also be getting an adapter to use my canon FD lenses on it.

Its a lot of money for someone on my budget but I'm hoping it will be worth the extra money going up from the X10. Anybody fancy helping convince me that this is a good idea? :LOL:

I think I'm going to be buying an X-E1 to upgrade from my X10 very soon. I'll be buying it refurbished from the fuji site and will also be getting an adapter to use my canon FD lenses on it.

Its a lot of money for someone on my budget but I'm hoping it will be worth the extra money going up from the X10. Anybody fancy helping convince me that this is a good idea? :LOL:

Hi, The X10 is a fine camera as I'm sure you already know. The X20 is even better than the X10 in many ways. Then we get to the X-E1 which is in a different league altogether both in versatility and image quality. The Fuji lenses are optically superb as is the build quality of both the camera & lenses.

I presume you are aware that with an adaptor for your Canon lenses you will only be able to use them in manual focus. I'm not familiar with the Canon lenses but to use them on a X-E1 they must have an aperture ring as you will have to stop them down manually. You will also only be able to use Aperture Priority & Manual exposure modes. When you purchase an adaptor make sure it's one that allows you to get infinity focus with your Canon lenses as some adaptors do not allow you to focus at infinity.

I use my X-E1 with an adaptor for my Nikon maual focus lenses and they perform very well indeed. Hope this helps.

After my second day with the X-E1 I noticed that the battery drains really fast (comparing to 5D2/5D3). Would like to add few knock off batteries, but I can't find any that would match on 7dayshop site. Any recommendations?

FD lenses should be fine as they have the apeture marks. I am using my Tokina 11-16 with the xe-1 and adaptor. Pleased with the results, but I still can't wait for the 10-24 to be out and compare the image quality between the two of them, and see if it beats the 11-16 as the best wide angle lens for DX cameras in the market.

Personally I have never used the x10 before, but it should just be a little bigger in terms of the body and slightly heavier depending on the lenses you want to carry. But with a bigger sensor with your FD lenses, it should be awesome! with more dof at larger apetures. Can't wait to get home (Singapore) where my FD 135 F2 is waiting for me in the dry cabinet :)

After my second day with the X-E1 I noticed that the battery drains really fast (comparing to 5D2/5D3). Would like to add few knock off batteries, but I can't find any that would match on 7dayshop site. Any recommendations?

I use maxima batteries off amazon in my xp1. They seem to last as long as fuji own brands. Hahnel are good too but not cheap

Hi, The X10 is a fine camera as I'm sure you already know. The X20 is even better than the X10 in many ways. Then we get to the X-E1 which is in a different league altogether both in versatility and image quality. The Fuji lenses are optically superb as is the build quality of both the camera & lenses.

I presume you are aware that with an adaptor for your Canon lenses you will only be able to use them in manual focus. I'm not familiar with the Canon lenses but to use them on a X-E1 they must have an aperture ring as you will have to stop them down manually. You will also only be able to use Aperture Priority & Manual exposure modes. When you purchase an adaptor make sure it's one that allows you to get infinity focus with your Canon lenses as some adaptors do not allow you to focus at infinity.

I use my X-E1 with an adaptor for my Nikon maual focus lenses and they perform very well indeed. Hope this helps.

The FD range are all manual focus lenses from the film SLR era, but thanks for the heads up anyway :)

FD lenses should be fine as they have the apeture marks. I am using my Tokina 11-16 with the xe-1 and adaptor. Pleased with the results, but I still can't wait for the 10-24 to be out and compare the image quality between the two of them, and see if it beats the 11-16 as the best wide angle lens for DX cameras in the market.

Personally I have never used the x10 before, but it should just be a little bigger in terms of the body and slightly heavier depending on the lenses you want to carry. But with a bigger sensor with your FD lenses, it should be awesome! with more dof at larger apetures. Can't wait to get home (Singapore) where my FD 135 F2 is waiting for me in the dry cabinet :)

I have a 24mm f2.8, 50mm f1.8, 100mm f2.8 and a 35-105mm f3.5 all FD lenses. Very excited about using the 24mm and the 35-105mm zoom! I put together a reverse-lens macro system for use with the 50mm on my canon AE-1P film SLR, the results were amazing so hopefully I can get similar results on the X-E1.

The Maxsima ones on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007P2E9LW/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) work as well as the OEM ones in my opinion, I have two and never notice the difference between those and the Fuji ones. I'm usually not a fan of third party batteries, but Fuji don't appear to partially block them like some do, so you get battery life indication.

I use maxima batteries off amazon in my xp1. They seem to last as long as fuji own brands. Hahnel are good too but not cheap

The Maxsima ones on Amazon (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007P2E9LW/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) work as well as the OEM ones in my opinion, I have two and never notice the difference between those and the Fuji ones. I'm usually not a fan of third party batteries, but Fuji don't appear to partially block them like some do, so you get battery life indication.

So Maxima it is, will get two as the X-E1 really chews through the battery quickly.

I got 450 shots out of a battery before it started flashing red today, OIS was on for roughly 50% of the time so not too bad. At £10 a pop it's worth having a bunch of spares.

A couple of favourites from today, the 55-200 literally hasn't left my X-E1 since it arrived a few weeks back...

Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb by Harry_S, on Flickr

Gurston Down Speed Hillclimb by Harry_S, on Flickr

I know the x-e1 has a panorama function but I'm wondering how similar it is to the X10s. Can you do 120, 180 and 360 degree panoramas? Is there a continuous 360 panorama option? Once I get my hands on one I won't need to ask these sorts of questions but I hope you guys don't mind in the mean time :D

Another random question, anyone using Eye-fi card?

I got 450 shots out of a battery before it started flashing red today, OIS was on for roughly 50% of the time so not too bad. At £10 a pop it's worth having a bunch of spares.

Not bad, but 450 is still not a lot when you can get ~800-900 from Canon on single battery. :) But I guess the EVF and back screen drains quite a lot of power.

A couple of favourites from today, the 55-200 literally hasn't left my X-E1 since it arrived a few weeks back...

Think 55-200 is added to my wish list. :)

I know the x-e1 has a panorama function but I'm wondering how similar it is to the X10s. Can you do 120, 180 and 360 degree panoramas? Is there a continuous 360 panorama option? Once I get my hands on one I won't need to ask these sorts of questions but I hope you guys don't mind in the mean time :D

I don't know how X10 works, but x-e1 is just burst shooting that stitches the frames together, bit like iPhone panorama.

Luckily had a chance to get out and try out the camera today and I'm loving it! I really like the manual controls and its nice to be using a VF again.

Just some shots of foxgloves I found on my walk:

9154379282_6933e95309_c.jpg

9152163243_375355a47c_c.jpg

9152141285_d7eb869370_c.jpg

Can't wait for another opportunity to get out and take more.

I aim be posting plenty of images to this thread in the future.

Today I went down to Pendennis point and tried out a piece of welding glass to create this 15 second exposure. I could've made it into a 30 second exposure but I forgot my filter thread adapter. It was edited using silver efex but now its oploaded I can see some haloing around the rocks, something for me to take into account next time :)

point-1 by AESamuel, on Flickr

Last edited:
Any chance of a head&shoulders portrait at 55mm F4? It seems a very versatile lens and does appear to have a brighter aperture than the numbers indicate, in terms of blurry background.

Haha, I'll see if I can convince my girlfriend to let me take one. :LOL: You're right though, 55mm at f4 does look very nice.

Traded an Nikon lens i just wasnt using for an XE-1 with the zoom lens,really nice camera to use,also had a look at the 35mm F1.4 but the focusing wasn't so quick as the zoom lens,the firmware is updated anybody else found this :)

The 35mm is known for being slower than the kit lens yet Fuji are releasing a new firmware late July to speed up the AF on there current lenses so it might be faster paced at the AF then :D

The 35mm is known for being slower than the kit lens yet Fuji are releasing a new firmware late July to speed up the AF on there current lenses so it might be faster paced at the AF then :D

It seemed to hunt its full focus range before it locked on

Last edited:
From a walk today:

Cow Parsley by AESamuel, on Flickr

Strangely, I updated my X-E1 to the latest 1.06 firmware which is great. I also updated my lens to the 1.01 firmware and the lens now makes a whirring noise when the OIS is on - this wirmware is supposed to get rid of that and I don't remember it making the noise before!

A quick hello, I've just taken the plunge with an X-E1 18-55, 14 and 60 mm. Very impressed so far it has that 'pick me me up and take photos' feel to it.
Quite different in character to my OM-D, which is also excellent of course :D

Last edited:
having sold my XE-1 on here ive just bought another since finding out about the focus peaking update

mainly want to play with manual focus vintage glass

this quick shot takent to test my £10 200mm lens

shot through glass

Untitled by duncindevon, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great pictures! I was wondering if it was possible to reverse mount FD lenses, as the aperture on my FD lenses doesn't change if you don't attach it to the camera

Just been giving mine a good test today.

Things i like good solid feel to the camera,be able to change aperture on the ring around the lens.

Some things that got to me, a bit slow in autofocus.
The exposure compensation ring need a lock to easy to get knock on.
Battery life is poor would like to see at least 500 shots per charge.

I like using the camera but i do think they need to work on its autofocus,and battery life :)

Great pictures! I was wondering if it was possible to reverse mount FD lenses, as the aperture on my FD lenses doesn't change if you don't attach it to the camera

Yes, its a little fiddly trying to get the aperture to work properly but the DOF is so shallow on these types of macro it is well worth it.

My solution was to take a lens cap and cut a hole in it and sand down the little tab which stops the cap going on. This way the lens things its mounted to a camera body. The second bit was to keep the aperture lever in place with which I used a bit of chopped up plastic taken from a camera film tub top. Sometimes you can't slot it in and have to use a match or something and jam it in between the lever and the raised bump. Works like a charm!

On the other hand, you could try using another FD adapter which allows you change the aperture and simply put that on the back of the lens and then reverse it - but nowhere near as much fun as making your own :LOL:

Hi, Just taken delivery of the "55-200mm", Managed to get it from "Seymour Harrison" in Folkestone and at a slightly discounted price.:)

Can't wait to try it, Unfortunately I'll not get a chance until later this week.

Hi, Decided to take the afternoon off and give this new lens a work out. It's an amazing piece of glass. Extremely sharp with really good contrast and snaps into focus very quickly. I am very very pleased with this lens.

First impressions I would say it's every bit as good as any bit of pro Nikon glass that I have used on my D800.:)

Ah...... what a DIY genius you are. should try it with my fungus grown canon FD 70-210mm and see how does it work out

Yes, its a little fiddly trying to get the aperture to work properly but the DOF is so shallow on these types of macro it is well worth it.

My solution was to take a lens cap and cut a hole in it and sand down the little tab which stops the cap going on. This way the lens things its mounted to a camera body. The second bit was to keep the aperture lever in place with which I used a bit of chopped up plastic taken from a camera film tub top. Sometimes you can't slot it in and have to use a match or something and jam it in between the lever and the raised bump. Works like a charm!

On the other hand, you could try using another FD adapter which allows you change the aperture and simply put that on the back of the lens and then reverse it - but nowhere near as much fun as making your own :LOL:

Hi, Decided to take the afternoon off and give this new lens a work out. It's an amazing piece of glass. Extremely sharp with really good contrast and snaps into focus very quickly. I am very very pleased with this lens.

First impressions I would say it's every bit as good as any bit of pro Nikon glass that I have used on my D800.:)

Thanks for the feedback, I intend to get the 55-200 at some point.

Another B&W from me:

Gyllyngvase long exposure by AESamuel, on Flickr

On a side note, my lens feels a little loose on the body - you can turn it one way or the other a bit less than 1mm. It doesn't come away from the body though, only rotates. is it the same on others or not? I'm just a bit concerned because its a refurb.

Another B&W from me:

On a side note, my lens feels a little loose on the body - you can turn it one way or the other a bit less than 1mm. It doesn't come away from the body though, only rotates. is it the same on others or not? I'm just a bit concerned because its a refurb.

I wouldn't worry too much, just had quick check of mine and there is a very slight rotational movement of the lens on the mount (with the 18-55 fitted).

Nice beachscape by the way :)

I wouldn't worry too much, just had quick check of mine and there is a very slight rotational movement of the lens on the mount (with the 18-55 fitted).

Nice beachscape by the way :)

Thanks and thanks!

:D

Love the second shot! First one could have done with a bit more DOF IMO.

Thanks Asa, here's one with a little more DOF.
Trouble with the Hypericum calycinum or 'Rose Of Sharon' is that it becomes overly busy the more DOF you add :D

Back