Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

I've owned the 18-55 for a couple of months now and I literally don't think I've used it. The X100 covers my wider needs and everything else is taken with the 55-200.

Touring around South West USA in a few weeks time (parks, canyons, Vegas, San Francisco), debating whether to ditch the 18-55 and get the 14mm, or a combo of the 35mm 1.4 and Samyang 8mm Fisheye. I'm guessing I would want a nice wide focal length for Grand Canyon, Bryce, Zion, Monument Valley etc.

Anyhow, the 55-200 continues to impress...

RIAT 2013 by Harry_S, on Flickr

Thanks Asa, here's one with a little more DOF.
Trouble with the Hypericum calycinum or 'Rose Of Sharon' is that it becomes overly busy the more DOF you add :D

Ahh yes I see what you mean, another lovely shot though!

On the subject of DOF I spent an hour or so with my X-E1 and a canon FD lens + teleconverter attached pointed at my bird feeder.

You lose quite a lot of light through the teleconverter so I had to put the ISO up to 800 to get the aperture up to f11-16ish.

The FD lenses are obviously nowhere near as sharp as the fuji lenses but I can't afford the 55-200mm lens so I'm trying to make do with what I've got. I would love to have the fuji 55-200mm though as I'm having a lot of fun taking wildlife pictures.

Hi Asa,

did you have a hood on the FD lens? It looks like you are losing some contrast to general flare in the lens. A this would wash out some of the finer details, it'll also make the lens look a bit softer. An alternative would be to see if you can move your shooting position to reduce the strong backlight from the sky. Nice shots all the same - it's good to see old glass getting a new lease of life!

Hi Asa,

did you have a hood on the FD lens? It looks like you are losing some contrast to general flare in the lens. A this would wash out some of the finer details, it'll also make the lens look a bit softer. An alternative would be to see if you can move your shooting position to reduce the strong backlight from the sky. Nice shots all the same - it's good to see old glass getting a new lease of life!

Hey,

No I didn't have a hood (I don't own any for my FD lenses) but it was definitely due to strong backlighting as it has been a very bright but overcast day today. I tried to get as much of the trees in the background as possible to try and darken the surroundings but I was very limited in where I could shoot from.

Thanks for the helpful suggestions :)

Hi all.

After a big debate with myself on which system to go with and reading far too many internet reviews, this morning I ordered my X-E1(in silver).
I am hoping to use this as a walkaround body as well as taking it places I really dont want to be lugging the 5D3 around.

I have also ordered a M42 adaptor so that I can use some of the MF lenses I have.

All being well it should be here tomorrow (or this morning now).

Last edited:
Hi all.

After a big debate with myself on which system to go with and reading far too many internet reviews, this morning I ordered my X-E1(in silver).
I am hoping to use this as a walkaround body as well as taking it places I really dont want to be lugging the 5D3 around.

I have also ordered a M42 adaptor so that I can use some of the MF lenses I have.

All being well it should be here tomorrow (or this morning now).

If you have been reading fujirumors.com , you will realize that you are not the only one ditching a high end DSLR for Fuji :)

Firmware update version 2.0 is now available on the Fuji site for improved auto focus speed and accuracy in low light, focus peeking has also been added.
Each lens will also require an update.
I'm hopeful of a minimum shutter speed in auto iso but we'll see!

Just updated my body and 18-55 lens. Very impressed.
Focus peaking works for legacy glass too (Woo!) and the focusing on the 18-55 seems very very quick now.

Looking forward to getting out and trying both properly.

Just updated my body and 18-55 lens. Very impressed.
Focus peaking works for legacy glass too (Woo!) and the focusing on the 18-55 seems very very quick now.

Looking forward to getting out and trying both properly.

My thoughts exactly! Indoors 18-55 focus has gone from good to near excellent, my K-5 and 16-50 DA* feels positively lethargic in comparison. Really so happy with Fuji and their recent couple of firmware updates.

Bring on the 10-24 pretty pretty please!!!

Well mine came this morning.

I managed to get the battery charged and firmware updated but did not
get time to go out and try the camera.

Out of interest, what bags are you all using?

I'm using a Lowepro 100 Event Messenger. Nice little bag, enough room for the x-e1 with the 18-55mm attached plus one other lens. (I carry a canon FD 35-105 + adapter as a second lens) There is a small pocket on the front for SD cards, lenspen, a filter or two etc. They do two other sizes too if you want to carry more kit. Would highly recommend it.

Well mine came this morning.

I managed to get the battery charged and firmware updated but did not
get time to go out and try the camera.

Out of interest, what bags are you all using?

Congratulations on the X-E1 aquisition :D

I use the thinktank Retrospective 5, it holds the X-E1 plus grip, 18-55, 14 and 60 comfortably, nice low key quality bag.

My thoughts exactly! Indoors 18-55 focus has gone from good to near excellent, my K-5 and 16-50 DA* feels positively lethargic in comparison. Really so happy with Fuji and their recent couple of firmware updates.

Bring on the 10-24 pretty pretty please!!!

10-24 is on the way and should arrive in Dec according to fujirumors. Preorder pricing is 779 pounds for it!

10-24 is on the way and should arrive in Dec according to fujirumors. Preorder pricing is 779 pounds for it!

The price will settle to something more realistic but whatever if it ends up being of similar caliber to the 18-55 then am buying it

The price will settle to something more realistic but whatever if it ends up being of similar caliber to the 18-55 then am buying it

Its fuji! im sure they have high expectiations to meet.

Really pleased with the new update, AF speed is really quick now :)

This is great news ;
... Indoors 18-55 focus has gone from good to near excellent, ...
I think I'll ring my local camera shop tomorrow and see if they're even aware of the firmware update : if they can get their demo cams updated it'll be interesting.

I am look forward to the 10-24, I tend to use the 17-40 a LOT on my 5D.
Went into a well know large electrical store yesterday and got myself a cheap sandstorm bag to hold the camera and then managed to get out with it for the first time yesterday evening.

All SOOC with only a resize and border applied.

First Fuji X-E1 Shots 1 by Mark Illsley, on Flickr

First Fuji X-E1 Shots 2 by Mark Illsley, on Flickr

First Fuji X-E1 Shots 3 by Mark Illsley, on Flickr

First Fuji X-E1 Shots 4 by Mark Illsley, on Flickr

I must admit first impressions are good, I need to up the sharpening slightly when using jpegs but so far so good.

Does it possible to have the commander dial set to change shutter speed?

998195_10151816085765817_1713474553_n.jpg

Focus peaking makes manual focus so much easier :)

XE-1 with Nikon 105 F2.5 AIS

Yesterday evening's Moon, always a mesmerizing sight in the sky for me.

with the X-E1, Tokina 300 f/2.8 and stacked x1.4 and x2.0 teleconverters.

What happened to the 55-200, Harry? Nice shots, BTW...

What happened to the 55-200, Harry? Nice shots, BTW...

All of a sudden it stopped retracting fully, stopping at different points (on a few occasions it wouldn't retract at all), then all photos over 100mm are a shimmery out-of-focus mess.

All of a sudden it stopped retracting fully, stopping at different points (on a few occasions it wouldn't retract at all), then all photos over 100mm are a shimmery out-of-focus mess.

Did you happen to have macro mode on? This would limit the focus range

Did you happen to have macro mode on? This would limit the focus range

No I've checked all the settings, I still get the green focus confirmation box, but in reality it's way off.

There has been some lovely shots in the past few days!

Here's a few from my walk today...

14mm 2.8 on the way via Fuji Refurb, looking forward to it! Any good galleries (i.e. on Flickr) of it in action? Never really played around a great deal of wide angle stuff before, but Grand Canyon/Zion/Monument Valley etc is only 3 weeks away.

One from today:

Gylly Rocks by AESamuel, on Flickr

I'm thinking of swapping the 18-55 for the 27mm pancake when it comes out. Kind of scary being stuck to one focal length though as I've never had a prime before! :eek:

Last edited:
I'm thinking of swapping the 18-55 for the 27mm pancake when it comes out. Kind of scary being stuck to one focal length though as I've never had a prime before! :eek:

If you want to test the water first you could buy a legacy lens and a cheap adapter off ebay. That way if you don't like the prime experience you've spent next to nothing and if you do like it you can buy the AF prime with confidence.

Got my xe-1 to add to my x100. So far liking it a lot using the 18-55mm. Got an adapter on order to try my Nikon glass on it too. Will keep you updated.

Fuji have really got it right with these cameras.

How many shots do you get out of it? If you get anything like 300-350 don't expect much more than that.

Switch off the Quick Start Up, reduce the LCD brightness and don't review pictures for too long or too often. Buy a couple of extra third party batteries and have them fully charged with you. That is 1000 pictures there plenty for most non-pro purposes.

Back