Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Has anyone here with a XT 1 and a XE 2 like know how they compare with c-AF pls

Anyone noticed the 35mm 1.4 focuses alot faster with face detection enabled, while focusing on people ? Especially in dim lit conditions, using X-E2

Anyone noticed the 35mm 1.4 focuses alot faster with face detection enabled, while focusing on people ? Especially in dim lit conditions, using X-E2

That might be something I like to hear. Can face detection be turned on in Aperture mode or??

Can you comment on C-AF ? Pls

I struggle to focus on people with such a shallow depth of field, especially when I'm trying to focus on the eyes for example, the face detection takes that effort, and missed focusing out of the equation

Does the face detection do a good job

I've only used the 35mm on the e2, I did have an x-a1, but focus was very difficult in poor light. I also have an x10, a sony rx100 and Canon 5D mk1.

I'll do more subjective testing if you like ? I'm very pleased with the lens, I photograph mostly people, purely recreational.

I've only used the 35mm on the e2, I did have an x-a1, but focus was very difficult in poor light. I also have an x10, a sony rx100 and Canon 5D mk1.

I'll do more subjective testing if you like ? I'm very pleased with the lens, I photograph mostly people, purely recreational.
Yes pls try do test I am hoping come home with a new toy tmr

How close can the 35mm focus

A bit of food photography with the X-E2 and a roll of home made pancetta - and that tail of string on the left is bugging me but I didn't spot it until I'd packed everything away..

Had a play with a XE 2 today nice and light and small. Sale guy wasn't helpful so had try figure things myself.

Does this not have modes like

M
Tv
Av
Auto

Also I couldn't get it into expanded ISO

Had a play with a XE 2 today nice and light and small. Sale guy wasn't helpful so had try figure things myself.

Does this not have modes like

M
Tv
Av
Auto

Also I couldn't get it into expanded ISO

Expanded ISOs 12,800 and 25,600 are only available in JPG mode.

If you're using Fuji X lenses then you'll notice they have an aperture setting, 'A'. Also, notice the shutter speed dial has an 'A'.

The 'A' on the aperture ring and shutter speed dial means 'Automatic'.

Lens set to A, shutter speed dial set to A gives you Auto.
Lens set to A, shutter speed dial NOT set to A gives you Tv.
Lens NOT set to A, shutter speed dial set to A gives you Av.
Lens NOT set to A, shutter speed dial NOT set to A gives you Manual.

You might find it useful to have a look at the user manual - http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/pdf/index/x/fujifilm_xe2_manual_en.pdf

Expanded ISOs 12,800 and 25,600 are only available in JPG mode.

If you're using Fuji X lenses then you'll notice they have an aperture setting, 'A'. Also, notice the shutter speed dial has an 'A'.

The 'A' on the aperture ring and shutter speed dial means 'Automatic'.

Lens set to A, shutter speed dial set to A gives you Auto.
Lens set to A, shutter speed dial NOT set to A gives you Tv.
Lens NOT set to A, shutter speed dial set to A gives you Av.
Lens NOT set to A, shutter speed dial NOT set to A gives you Manual.

You might find it useful to have a look at the user manual - http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/manuals/pdf/index/x/fujifilm_xe2_manual_en.pdf

What he said :)

Am I just getting the fundamentals of photography wrong?

Tonight I took some shots of a mate indoors with the xe2 and 56mm lens. I used it in shutter priority and although it was quite dim lighting i set the shutter speed to 100th of a second to try and minimise blur. The photos were all underexposed.

I then set the camera to full auto and the pictures turned out the same.

I was expecting the camera to up the iso accordingly and properly expose the photos.

I have always used a speedlight indoors with my canon gear and the photos were spot on.

Is there anything I can do to brighten up the photos with the xe2 to give me the same look as the speedlight or do I need to stop being an idiot and buy a speedlight for the fuji?

Am I just getting the fundamentals of photography wrong?

Tonight I took some shots of a mate indoors with the xe2 and 56mm lens. I used it in shutter priority and although it was quite dim lighting i set the shutter speed to 100th of a second to try and minimise blur. The photos were all underexposed.

I then set the camera to full auto and the pictures turned out the same.

I was expecting the camera to up the iso accordingly and properly expose the photos.

I have always used a speedlight indoors with my canon gear and the photos were spot on.

Is there anything I can do to brighten up the photos with the xe2 to give me the same look as the speedlight or do I need to stop being an idiot and buy a speedlight for the fuji?
Could you upload an example with full EXIF intact?

Consistent underexposure.. the first culprit to be eliminated is always the easily knocked exposure compensation dial..

What ISO were the shots taken at? The camera won't use any settings above ISO 6400 in auto ISO mode. If you've selected a fastish shutter speed and the ISO is maxed out, you'll get underexposure. Apologies if I've missed anything and teaching you to suck eggs! :D

Put the speedlight on the x-e2, I put my Canon 430EX on my X-E2 and it appeared to work fine, used it in manual settings.

(But I take no responsibility for any issues you may have!!!) but look at these links for assurance https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sour...spv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=canon speed light and fuji x

What ISO were the shots taken at? The camera won't use any settings above ISO 6400 in auto ISO mode. If you've selected a fastish shutter speed and the ISO is maxed out, you'll get underexposure. Apologies if I've missed anything and teaching you to suck eggs! :D
Most of the time it was set to auto and it was selecting roughly 800-1000 iso.

The exposure compensation dial was at zero the whole time. I was actually thinking about dialling in some compensation to see if that would help.

Unfortunately I don't have the speedlight any longer as I sold all my canon gear.

I'll try to upload a picture later. Football is on though so no promises !!!

The stutter speed never went above 100th of a second.

Good god don't tell me it hard to use this camera with flash as that a reason I been looking into one these

Good god don't tell me it hard to use this camera with flash as that a reason I been looking into one these

No harder than any other camera, unless you are looking for wireless off camera TTL. I use manual yongnuo flashes & triggers with all my fuji's.

OK, I'm starting to get this X-E2 pimped! So far I've added a thumb rest (good addition), Foot Print strap (mmm leather!) and a silver soft release. The soft release is excellent, giving me a 50% success rate when shooting the 18/2 at 1/8th second hand held, a stop better than without it. Quite a surprise!

View attachment 31153

That looking good

I'm having such a hard time deciding between the x-e2 and the sony a6000! I loved my x-e1 but I needed video capabilities for my uni work so swapped to the a6000 and also to take advantage of the cheaper lenses. But now that I don't need to video any more I'm thinking of going to the x-e2 for the faster focussing over the X-E1. I like to take landscapes as well as wildlife photographs so I was thinking something like the 50-230mm for the wildlife and either the 18-55mm or just the 18mm f2 prime for everything else.

The focus speeds on the a6000 are lightning fast so I'm just worried that the 50-230mm + X-E2 may let down when it comes to taking pictures of moving animals etc. I do enjoying using the fuji cameras more because of the manual controls though. Anyone got any input?

Last edited:
In all honestly how does this camera perform AF wise and in low light?? Also C-AF has anyone here had a OMD to compare

I think you need to try one. AF is very quick in decent light and it's OK in low light, better than the Sony a7 I had. Tracking is not great, no-where near DSLR performance.

I tested the X-E1 and 35/1.4 against the Olympus E-PL5 and 20/1.7 and they were basically the same AF wise in low light.

Back