Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Damn, the refurb price of the xe2 is really tempting!!!

Anyone using theirs with legacy glass?
Yes.. almost exclusively.. ;)

(and it's a refurb -E2)

www.flickr.com/photos/saltgeorge - check the album/set name for the lens if it's not given in the description. There are a few Fuji lens shots in there too.

I'm really thinking about buying a 50d body for college and just keeping my xe2 and 56mm too. I would lose roughly £100 on what i paid so could just use that and stick £100 on top and buy the 50d.

Ahh ffs... You have the three lenses i have so that hasn't helped at all...

:LOL:
That's not all my legacy lenses represented there.. :D

What have you got and what are you looking for? If I had to pick favourites to recommend they'd be:
  • Minolta 55/1.4
  • CZ Planar 50/1.4 HFT
  • CZ Teletessar 135/4 HFT
  • Rolleinar MC 80-200/4
  • Rolleinar MC 28/2.8
  • Rolleinar MC 85/2.8

Yup.. got all three of those ;)

If I was starting again with legacy glass I would look at the Rokkors, they have a really nice colour to the images they produce that's supposed to be consistent between lenses. But having said that, the QBM lenses are great and there aren't so many people using them so the prices are keener. I'm incredibly impressed by the Rolleinar MC 80-200/4 which only cost me £30 an has fantastic sharpness, colour and a lot of the "pop" you'd normally only expect from a Zeiss lens.

This is just me trying to justify getting one now... I can't afford a XF lens to go with it for a few weeks but i can use my m42 lenses (well, just the 35mm and perhaps the 135) with an adapter so i can get some use out of it.

I'm looking for a not very expensive legacy 24/28mm for my X-E1. Any recommendations?

I'm looking for a not very expensive legacy 24/28mm for my X-E1. Any recommendations?
I like the Rolleinar MC 28/2.8

I also have the Rokkor 28/3.5 which is ok but nothing special, I believe the Rokkor 28/2.8 is far better.

But is "inexpensive" £50, £100 or £300? - and which (if any) adapters do you already have?

I'm looking for something in the 50-70£ range, maximum. The idea is to have something lighter than the 18-55.
(I don't have any adapters).

Thanks!

Try the 27mm 2.8 pancake, around £180 used, but a great lens :)
I wouldn't mind one, but I just got the X-E1 + 18-55 + 50-230 so the finances don't allow that now :p
I was thinking about getting one cheap legacy lens now, and then start climbing from there. I was planning on selling that and buying the 27mm, and latter, selling the 27mm and getting either the 23mm, or the X100(S).

Btw, nice shot @kennysarmy !

I wouldn't mind one, but I just got the X-E1 + 18-55 + 50-230 so the finances don't allow that now :p
I was thinking about getting one cheap legacy lens now, and then start climbing from there. I was planning on selling that and buying the 27mm, and latter, selling the 27mm and getting either the 23mm, or the X100(S).

Btw, nice shot @kennysarmy !

Cheers

The 23mm lens is FANTASTIC btw

Took delivery of the 35mm and it is great in terms of sharpness and IQ. My Xe2 seems to hunt for focus quite a lot with the 35mm but light wasn't the best I suppose on the test shots. That's the biggest difference I've found since switching from DSLR. Focus doesn't seem to compare on all but completely stationary objects.

Took delivery of the 35mm and it is great in terms of sharpness and IQ. My Xe2 seems to hunt for focus quite a lot with the 35mm but light wasn't the best I suppose on the test shots. That's the biggest difference I've found since switching from DSLR. Focus doesn't seem to compare on all but completely stationary objects.

I'm not sure stationary or not makes a difference but it's definitely an art trying to get focus in lower light....but with practice and understanding what it focus locks on to will help....

I'm not sure stationary or not makes a difference but it's definitely an art trying to get focus in lower light....but with practice and understanding what it focus locks on to will help....

I think your right. No doubt I will adjust and get used to it. I was just playing around trying to shoot my son in the conservatory who was playing with his toys. I was up at 3200 at f1.4 so light wasn't great at all but it seemed to be hunting and missing focus more often than not.

In low light and with a moving subject remember to switch on high performance mode in the menu. It's off by default and it ups the battery drain when it's on, but it is supposed to make a difference to low light focussing.

In low light and with a moving subject remember to switch on high performance mode in the menu. It's off by default and it ups the battery drain when it's on, but it is supposed to make a difference to low light focussing.

Thanks for the advice. I was not aware of that but had wondered what that option did.

I can third for the 23mm, it's the only lens I have! Could have gone for the 18 + 60 or 35 + 60 or a mix of either but thought I would got for the 23 on its own as all I heard were great things about it!

Will maybe stump up for the 60 down the line for a bit more range/portrait lens.

Here's one from today, another one from the Rolleinar MC 80-200/4

X-E2, Rolleinar MC 80-200/4, VSCO Portra 160++

Damn, the refurb price of the xe2 is really tempting!!!

Not sure what the cameras were for these (XE1 or XP1 most likely) but both taken with an old Russian Jupiter 11 135mm f4:

12697753593_07d8c27a6e_b.jpg

11750052876_5e08324093_b.jpg

Were you shooting wide open? As I say, it's sharp enough open but stopped down a little it really resolves a lot of detail.
Looking back on some of my images taken it was at various fstops, I think I just had a poor copy

I'm looking for something in the 50-70£ range, maximum. The idea is to have something lighter than the 18-55.
(I don't have any adapters).

Thanks!
I loved the Oly OM 28mm f2.8 should get one in your price range. Sold mine when I bought the fuji 35mm wish I'd kept it now :(

Here's one from today, another one from the Rolleinar MC 80-200/4

X-E2, Rolleinar MC 80-200/4, VSCO Portra 160++

Your getting some really good quality images with the legacy Minolta lenses, I am looking at getting a couple of primes to go on my X-E1 any you would recommend. Just have the Fuji 35mm at present so one to go either side would be good say 28 and 55ish poss 135 also.

Your getting some really good quality images with the legacy Minolta lenses, I am looking at getting a couple of primes to go on my X-E1 any you would recommend. Just have the Fuji 35mm at present so one to go either side would be good say 28 and 55ish poss 135 also.
The recent ones haven't been taken with Minolta lenses, I've got a mish-mash of lenses for different mounts but I'm tending to drift towards rationalising down to just Rollei QBM and the Minoltas.

28mm - I have both the Rolleinar 28/2.8 and the Minolta Rokkor 28/3.5 (it was cheap..). The Rolleinar is a Mamiya designed and built lens and has a pretty decent reputation and my results tend to agree with that. The Minolta is the cheaper of their 28mms, and by all accounts the Minolta Rokkor 28/2.8 is a far superior lens. If you're going for a 28mm get a decent one - which will usually be f/2.8 or faster.

55mm-ish - I'd unreservedly recommend the Minolta Rokkor 58/1.4. It's a really nice lens. Typical of fast lenses of the era it's got a bit of a glow wide-open but sharpens up very quickly if you close it up a stop. Slightly wider the Zeiss Planar 50/1.4 is very nice and available in either the Rollei QBM or Contax/Yashica mount - allegedly m42 versions exist but are rarely encountered. I hear good things about the Rolleinar 55/1.4 but haven't owned or used an example.

135mm - lots of good lenses. My preference is the Zeiss Teletessar 135/4 (in Rollei QBM mount) which is often over-looked as being a bit slow but it's sharp from wide-openand has very good colour and contrast. The CZJ S 135/3.5 (m42 mount) is easily found for a good price and is a good lens. I've got a few searches running for one of the 4/4 design Minolta Rokkor 135/2.8 with the diamond aperture/focus indicator - I just missed one for £16 a couple of weeks ago. This particular variant of the Minolta lens is one of the Minolta/Leitz collaborative designs - so it's essentially a Leica lens with Minolta coatings, i.e. the best of combinations.

A quick note on Minolta and Leitz.. Minolta lenses have an appeal of their own that's borne of the combination of fantastic quality combined with a unique approach to design that emphasised consistent colour across every lens they produced. This was more important with film than it is with digital (but it's very desirable for grading digital video) and is unique to Minolta - no other manufacturer did this. They also establishes a working relationship with Leitz which saw resulted in several identical lenses appearing under both brands. Some versions of the Rokkor 135/2.8 are in this category, as is the Rokkor 35-70/3.5 zoom.

Part of the trick with vintage lenses is spotting the bargains - the Minolta/Leitz lenses are one group to watch for (there must be more than just the two I've mentioned above but I've not found a definitive list), others include the Pentax PK 28/2 which is a Pentax version of the legendary Zeiss Distagon 28/2 "Hollywood lens" - see article (http://www.eoshd.com/2013/07/60-pen...s-by-designer-of-stanley-kubricks-nasa-glass/).

Back