Fuji X-E1/X-E2/X-E2S/X-E3 Owners Thread

Thanks will have to check them out, just read LR5 has it as a setting somewhere? Is this right?
Only available to files created using bodies that have CC available as an in-camera option. The problem is that CC has been created for the later sensor found in the X-E2/-T1 and not the previous sensor found in the X-E1/-Pro1. There are differences in the files produced by these sensors (greater bit depth in the later sensor).

But Lightroom opens up a lot more in the way of film simulations and processing options. They range from free ones you can download from blogs all the way to quite pricey options such as the VSCO packs.

I've shot off 100 or so frames today with the X-E2 and...I'm going to send it back. Great camera and stuff, but the X-E1 does 90% of what the X-E2 does (for my needs). Will pick up a 2nd X-E1 instead and use the difference to buy another lens :)

I did the same. The XE1 is still my go-to camera even though I have the XPro1 and XT1. I'm a slow, methodical, bright light, RAW shooter and about the only thing the XE1 misses for me is the +/- 3 stop range on the exposure compensation dial

With regards to Classic Chrome on an X-E1.

Just wondered if it's possible to change the EXIF Detail in post to the X-E2, the same as folk have apparently been doing with the X-100T to give Classic Chrome settings in LR on the X-100S.

I've not tried it but just wondered if it's possible ?

George.

Just wondered if it's possible to change the EXIF Detail in post to the X-E2, the same as folk have apparently been doing with the X-100T to give Classic Chrome settings in LR on the X-100S.

It works, but you're applying it to a different type of file - so all bets are off on the result you'll get compared to the result of applying it to the correct file type. There's been some experimentation on Fujix with synchronising development options between an X-E2 file with CC and an X-E1/-Pro1 file - there's a definite effect, but it's not quite CC.

It works, but you're applying it to a different type of file - so all bets are off on the result you'll get compared to the result of applying it to the correct file type. There's been some experimentation on Fujix with synchronising development options between an X-E2 file with CC and an X-E1/-Pro1 file - there's a definite effect, but it's not quite CC.

Many thanks for that Alastair, It was just a thought to try and help others out.

George.

So what do you guys use for bags? I like the look of the Retrospective 7... but I don't have the funds to back one. Anything similar/cheaper out there people know of?

Retro 7.. if you don't need the pinestone color the price drops. I bought mine in slate, which is just as elegant and usually around 20% cheaper.

That's a nice shot Jeff, I like the composition and the expression on the young lady's face. The B&W PP work is good with still a little bit of shadow detail yet still some detail in the bright area outside the window. Just begining to get a bit gritty which is really nice for this sort of subject. Makes it look as if it could have been shot on something like Tri-X film. I like this shot very much.(y)

George.

That's a nice shot Jeff, I like the composition and the expression on the young lady's face. The B&W PP work is good with still a little bit of shadow detail yet still some detail in the bright area outside the window. Just begining to get a bit gritty which is really nice for this sort of subject. Makes it look as if it could have been shot on something like Tri-X film. I like this shot very much.(y)

George.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

The RAW files was processed in Adobe Camera Raw to create a JPG which was then converted to mono using Silver Efex Pro 2

Thanks for taking the time to comment.

The RAW files was processed in Adobe Camera Raw to create a JPG which was then converted to mono using Silver Efex Pro 2

I'll tell you what matey that "Silver Efex Pro" is helping you produce stuff that is pretty darned close to the real thing. I obviously had no idea what the process was until after you replied to my first first post to you. But I work with a whole lotta film nearly every day so obviously have a pretty good idea of what it looks like printed up and that's as good a process as I've seen yet to the real thing.(y)

George.

Pretty much in love with my camera now, just the weather is pants up here so not really getting to play :(

So it's my 30th in a few weeks = a few £££s are going to be spare :D so what are people's opinions on the 35mm and 56mm? Like the look of both, like the 1.2 of the 56 ns like the cheapness of the 35.

What would you go with? Remembering I ont have the 23mm

Have both in the house but not used the 35mm as I can't afford to keep both. I'll let you know how I rate the 56mm over the next few days when I test it out. It's s***ty weather here too so might be over the weekend. It's portraits I bought it for and when it's not as horrible I'll get my son outside for a wee shoot as right now he just wants me to make him snowballs !!!

Good man! That would be great! Portraits and just to have something with a longer length for me, it's just such a price hike from the 35 to the 56. I know there is the 60 but its a bit slow for a prime I feel

Pretty much in love with my camera now, just the weather is pants up here so not really getting to play :(

So it's my 30th in a few weeks = a few £££s are going to be spare :D so what are people's opinions on the 35mm and 56mm? Like the look of both, like the 1.2 of the 56 ns like the cheapness of the 35.

What would you go with? Remembering I ont have the 23mm
See if this helps you any. Personally, I'd go with the 35mm if I could only choose one lens. It's a brilliant all rounder and great for portraits too. For me, the 56mm is just too big a lens for the X cameras. I'm not sure if you're saying you're going to have the 23mm or not, but if you are then the 56mm might be a better choice for you alongside it.

Yeah I still haven't got around to sending back the X-E2 yet. I'm up to 233 shots now which I think is the point where I need to think about keeping it :D

Interestingly I've found the RAW files softer than that of the X-E1, yet they can take more sharpening in Lightroom before showing artifacts.

See if this helps you any. Personally, I'd go with the 35mm if I could only choose one lens. It's a brilliant all rounder and great for portraits too. For me, the 56mm is just too big a lens for the X cameras. I'm not sure if you're saying you're going to have the 23mm or not, but if you are then the 56mm might be a better choice for you alongside it.

I'm quite surprised regarding the size and weight of the 56mm. I don't think it's that big at all. I had a feeling it was going to be bigger. I'm quite happy with the size i just haven't got round to testing it yet apart from one or two shots at f1.2 which i really can't see me using too often. It's crazy when you have a small toy dog with its nose in focus and it's eyes completely out of focus. It'll take some getting used to anyway.

I'm quite surprised regarding the size and weight of the 56mm. I don't think it's that big at all. I had a feeling it was going to be bigger. I'm quite happy with the size i just haven't got round to testing it yet apart from one or two shots at f1.2 which i really can't see me using too often. It's crazy when you have a small toy dog with its nose in focus and it's eyes completely out of focus. It'll take some getting used to anyway.
It's not that I consider the 56mm huge, it just doesn't fit into how I want to use the X system. Once bigger lenses and grips etc are added then it kinda takes things in the wrong direction for me.

Thanks for the insight guys.

Yea I had read that before getting the x-e1 and yes I have the 23mm as my only lens just now. So will have a good think over the next week or two and see where I feel then. The 35mm does look great to!

It's not that I consider the 56mm huge, it just doesn't fit into how I want to use the X system. Once bigger lenses and grips etc are added then it kinda takes things in the wrong direction for me.

True. I think the fuji x system for all that it's smaller than dslr's is certainly just too big to fit into the pocketable category. The reason I never went for the 55-200 was because it's huge on the camera's.

Am I correct in thinking that the a mode on the xe2 somehow covers the aperture priority, shutter speed and full auto modes?

What is mean is do I just turn the knob on the camera to a and also the lens to a then I can adjust the shutter speed and the camera will change the settings to suit my shutter speed and likewise if I choose an aperture it will adjust my shutter speed and iso accordingly?

Having a wee mess about with the camera and when I leave it on a for both it keeps selecting 1/60 second indoors at f1.2 and exposure is spot on but shots are slightly soft due to shutter speed. When I increase the shutter speed and bit the shots are underexposed.

Time for the manual handling think or get it onto fully manual.

Hi, assuming you have ISO on auto, then the following will be the case;

Put aperture ring on A and you're in shutter priority.

Vice versa.

Both on A and your fully auto.

:)

Am I correct in thinking that the a mode on the xe2 somehow covers the aperture priority, shutter speed and full auto modes?

What is mean is do I just turn the knob on the camera to a and also the lens to a then I can adjust the shutter speed and the camera will change the settings to suit my shutter speed and likewise if I choose an aperture it will adjust my shutter speed and iso accordingly?

Having a wee mess about with the camera and when I leave it on a for both it keeps selecting 1/60 second indoors at f1.2 and exposure is spot on but shots are slightly soft due to shutter speed. When I increase the shutter speed and bit the shots are underexposed.

Time for the manual handling think or get it onto fully manual.
Yes. The A represents Automatic i.e. leave it to the camera to decide your aperture, shutter speed or both.

I got out for a wee play after work last night :)

20 second exposure at the harbour opening at Arnish with the town of Stornoway lit up in the background.
Arnish Lighthouse by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

A wee selfie while out last night, camera on a Gorrilla-pod hanging off the fence. Reduced saturation slightly and contrast to give it the gritty look. I love the noise that this camera give off, it's actually nice! Compared to the horrid Canon stuff...
The Break In by M+M Morrison, on Flickr

Thanks for the insight guys.

Yea I had read that before getting the x-e1 and yes I have the 23mm as my only lens just now. So will have a good think over the next week or two and see where I feel then. The 35mm does look great to!

If you only have the 23mm my advice would be to get the 60mm (Second hand / refurbished).

This will give you a feel for how much you will use that focal length, with the added benefit you have a macro lens and have n't shelled out that much £'s...
You could then upgrade to the 56mm if needed and sell the 60mm for little loss

I have the 14, 23, 35, 60 and 55-200

If I had to part with one lens it would probably be the 35mm.

But horses for course...

I think the 35mm is like the nifty fifty for canon users, lots buy it for it's size,weight,speed and cost....but then many also realize it's not the focal length for them....

Thanks for that, good call on the trying it out. At the second hand prices I guess I could 'try out' both the 60 and 35 for near the price of the 56 alone. Will again have a wee think about it as I'm in no rush to jump into anything quite yet (probably the first time I haven't!) :D

I think the 35mm is like the nifty fifty for canon users, lots buy it for it's size,weight,speed and cost....but then many also realize it's not the focal length for them....

Absolutely agree, its the one lens that almost never finds its way into my bag when I go out. Just back from a quick overseas trip, took, X-E1 and X-E2, Samyang 8mm, 14mm, 18-55mm, 27mm (didn't use) and 50-230mm (used very little), the 35mm had a nice little holiday on it's own in the UK!!!!

Most used lenses 18-55mm and Samyang 8mm. Used the 14mm when I had some time and a tripod to hand

Absolutely agree, its the one lens that almost never finds its way into my bag when I go out. Just back from a quick overseas trip, took, X-E1 and X-E2, Samyang 8mm, 14mm, 18-55mm, 27mm (didn't use) and 50-230mm (used very little), the 35mm had a nice little holiday on it's own in the UK!!!!

Most used lenses 18-55mm and Samyang 8mm. Used the 14mm when I had some time and a tripod to hand

For me the 35mm is the most used lens :), you just need to work a bit harder to get the composition right. I also have the 16-50, 27mm and 50-230mm, I like the 16-50, but there's something about the 35mm I love more than any other lens ! :)

The 35mm is the only Fuji lens I have left after selling the 18-55mm and 56mm. It's brilliant and complements my X100S perfectly.

For me, that is.

Back