The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Also the new electronic shutter is NOT on the firmware update and requires a new XT1? Have I got that right?

Yes it will be added to the black.

From Fuji's X-T1 graphite press release

• This functionality will be installed on the X-T1 Graphite Silver Edition from its launch. A firmware update planned for December, 2014 will install these features on the X-T1 Black.
  • ** The Electronic Shutter may not be suitable for fast-moving objects. Flash can not be used.

Just got an email from Wex about the new Fuji's. Free battery grip with the graphite XT1. Wouldn't be enough to tempt me to pay £240 more than the black :eek:

Had same email.

For me, I am managing fine with the original and Xpro spare battery and have no use for the grip. I can see this being the case for 99.9% of buyers unless they want the newest design. Not worth the £240 in extra cash for me.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Twist,

Just watched the video, I though they could have spent a little more time explaining the new shutter and other new features. Perhaps there should have been two videos, one for camera and one for lens. Also, would have been nice to have had some photos samples taken at high speed setting.

The 50-140 lens seems to be a bit of a beast, similiar to the old Tokina 50-135mm f2.8 which used to be available for Nikon and Canon etc... This range appeals to me, but I think the price is going to be a little juicy when I am saving for the supertele, be interesting to see what aperture that will be.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link Twist,

Just watched the video, I though they could have spent a little more time explaining the new shutter and other new features. Perhaps there should have been two videos, one for camera and one for lens. Also, would have been nice to have had some photos samples taken at high speed setting.

The 50-140 lens seems to be a bit of a beast, similiar to the old Tokina 50-135mm f2.8 which used to be available for Nikon and Canon etc... This range appeals to me, but I think the price is going to be a little juicy when I am saving for the supertele, be interesting to see what aperture that will be.

NP, watch this….. it explains it, I think its implemented very well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UU9CifUFEqSpuF9tTGpKxC4g&v=1oattpsCCmQ

1/32000 here

http://www.the-owl.co.uk/reviews/fuji-x100t-review.html

Will be the same as X-T1.

Last edited:
Thanks Twist,

Much better and Kevin Mullins review is well worth a read, I found his advice when reviewing the Xpro-1 to be excellent, in particular, best camera settings.

Ditto even in the 80s the black FM2 and F3 were more Gucci than the silver ones for me ! ( not that they did an F3 in silver!)

They did an F3T which was in silver,but like you always brought in black if i could :)

I had forgotten that completely I do recall now they were very expensive and most people went for black ones. I don't think I have ever seen one on the 2nd hand market.

According to WEX HERE the lens will be sold for £1249. I was hoping for a £1000 figure. The lens is slightly larger and slightly heavier than the Nikon 70-200mm F4 lens which I used to own after replacing the heavy Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 VR2.

I am looking forward to seeing photos taken with this lens and the fact that it does not extend when zooming out is a big bonus for me.

According to WEX HERE the lens will be sold for £1249. I was hoping for a £1000 figure. The lens is slightly larger and slightly heavier than the Nikon 70-200mm F4 lens which I used to own after replacing the heavy Nikon 70-200mm F2.8 VR2.

I am looking forward to seeing photos taken with this lens and the fact that it does not extend when zooming out is a big bonus for me.

:eek: to much,luckily not on my want list :)

Also the new electronic shutter is NOT on the firmware update and requires a new XT1? Have I got that right?

No. As I understand it the FW update in December will include it.

Edit...oops, late to the party..

Last edited:
What would you do with a £2k budget.

Replacing:
7d,17-55 2.8,50 1.8, 85 1.8 and 70-200 f4?

If you went the grey route (Panamoz) paying by BACS, you could have the body with 18-55 kit lens (£960) 55-200mm zoom (£413) and the 56mm f1.2 prime (£636). Giving a grand total of £2009, nine quid over budget. Thats one nice kit to start you off.

To complete your kit you can get the 35mm later which can be had for around £250 on here or £340 new from Panamoz. Only thing missing would be a macro lens but I assume you haven't one in your current kit. If needed you can even get a legacy lens for this as it's normally manual focus and they can be had for around £100.00 or about £50 if you bought a 50mm lens with tubes and Fuji adapter, this is what I have got.

Last edited:
To add too above, the Fuji kit lenses (zooms) are of excellent IQ quality and are not to be compared with standard kit lenses. They will be on par or better with what you have allready got, zoom wise.

Heading to Goodwood Revival tomorrow. Never photographed cars before so not sure which lenses to take. I have the 10-24mm, 14mm, 35mm, 56mm and 55-200mm. Would be grateful for any advice and tips :)

If keeping the weight down, the two zooms I would thought would cover it, the 10-24 for the close ups and the 55-200 for the track, also, chuck the 35mm in just in-case???

Reactions: Nod
So for all of you who think the fuji JPEGS are so amazing, I'm wondering what simulation modes you use?

Really like the look of classic chrome when it comes out.

So for all of you who think the fuji JPEGS are so amazing, I'm wondering what simulation modes you use?

Standard. Vivid is far to bright for me. I will enhance in LR if need be. The JPEGs are very good though, all I ever really do is just crop or straiten.

If you went the grey route (Panamoz) paying by BACS, you could have the body with 18-55 kit lens (£960) 55-200mm zoom (£413) and the 56mm f1.2 prime (£636). Giving a grand total of £2009, nine quid over budget. Thats one nice kit to start you off.

To complete your kit you can get the 35mm later which can be had for around £250 on here or £340 new from Panamoz. Only thing missing would be a macro lens but I assume you haven't one in your current kit. If needed you can even get a legacy lens for this as it's normally manual focus and they can be had for around £100.00 or about £50 if you bought a 50mm lens with tubes and Fuji adapter, this is what I have got.

That makes a lot of sense. I'd want the 10-24 in time as well. The 56mm looks awesome!

For macro I use a Raynox DCR250.

Maybe time has come to ditch the SLR and move to something smaller that will come out of the cupboard more often!

I still don't know what to do with my Fuji setup. I just took a weeks worth of "days out" pictures into LR, and they're okay but nothing makes me think "nice". On one hand I knew a crop format wasn't going to match my FF DSLR, but on the other the only plus point is size and I don't know now that is enough for me now taking into account performance and IQ deficits. I don't find the 18-55 even close to the Canon 17-55 at all, even the 25-105 I prefer if I'm honest.

I just got hold of the 56mm and whilst IQ is nice, the performance sucks. In low light (where I'd use f1.2 a lot) it really struggles quite badly. Even in good light it's not that quick, I'm used to the Canon f1.8 which is quite fast I guess.

On paper the system is great, but in use it does frustrate me at times :(

I still don't know what to do with my Fuji setup. I just took a weeks worth of "days out" pictures into LR, and they're okay but nothing makes me think "nice". On one hand I knew a crop format wasn't going to match my FF DSLR, but on the other the only plus point is size and I don't know now that is enough for me now taking into account performance and IQ deficits. I don't find the 18-55 even close to the Canon 17-55 at all, even the 25-105 I prefer if I'm honest.

I just got hold of the 56mm and whilst IQ is nice, the performance sucks. In low light (where I'd use f1.2 a lot) it really struggles quite badly. Even in good light it's not that quick, I'm used to the Canon f1.8 which is quite fast I guess.

On paper the system is great, but in use it does frustrate me at times :(

I may be a broken record on this but IMVHO "FF" only shows an image quality advantage over MFT and APS-C in a few very specific areas when really pushing the limit of what the cameras are capable of. Specifically...

- At the very highest ISO's.
- When printing very large and viewing very closely.
- When pixel peeping at extreme magnification.

Personally I was happy with the image quality my 5D provided and more so with that of my A7 but in normal use and other than in the three circumstances above I think that my Panny GX7 produces images that are easily lost amongst 5D or A7 images and so does even my old G1 at low to mid ISO settings. There are other arguments for DSLR's such as the VF v EFV argument and focus tracking but for actual day to day normal image quality I'm quite happy with MFT and from what I've read the Fuji system should be even closer to FF DSLR image quality.

Could there be an issue with processing images? This may be on interest...

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?fo...www.fujivsfuji.com/best-xtrans-raw-converter/

Negative Film, Medium soft shadow, medium soft highlight. Basically what I'd do in LR already done. I also have the WB grid setup at X+2 and Y-2 which gets the auto usually spot on. LR ignores this grid though, so don't use it unless you want to have to correct the white balance at capture and again at editing!

I may be a broken record on this but IMVHO "FF" only shows an image quality advantage over MFT and APS-C in a few very specific areas when really pushing the limit of what the cameras are capable of. Specifically...

- At the very highest ISO's.
- When printing very large and viewing very closely.
- When pixel peeping at extreme magnification.

Personally I was happy with the image quality my 5D provided and more so with that of my A7 but in normal use and other than in the three circumstances above I think that my Panny GX7 produces images that are easily lost amongst 5D or A7 images and so does even my old G1 at low to mid ISO settings. There are other arguments for DSLR's such as the VF v EFV argument and focus tracking but for actual day to day normal image quality I'm quite happy with MFT and from what I've read the Fuji system should be even closer to FF DSLR image quality.

Could there be an issue with processing images? This may be on interest...

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_jsonp_14104737335458&key=92032646c408dc8acd4a4810d5488130&libId=2e66f058-fc08-40e6-9980-92027e6c852f&loc=http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/fuji-x-e1-x-e2.433415/page-38&v=1&out=http://www.fujivsfuji.com/best-xtrans-raw-converter/&ref=http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/talk-equipment.14/&title=Fuji X-E1/X-E2 | Page 38 | Talk Photography&txt=http://www.fujivsfuji.com/best-xtrans-raw-converter/

I don't pixel peep, and my FF camera is a 1Ds2 so high ISO isn't where it's at :D

I use Lightroom primarily so X-Trans doesn't shine that's for sure. I also use photo Ninja, and that is better and I use that for prints. Lightroom workflow is great though and it's fine for web. I need to do very little to my 1Ds2 shots in PP, from the Fuji they need more attention. For detail resolution the X-T1 also falls short of the 1Ds2 and I am struggling with that.

Edit: I really want my Fuji setup to work, over the past months I've picked up an X-E1, X-T1, 23mm, 35mm, 56mm, 60mm, 18-55 and 50-230mm. The slight deficiencies in IQ I could live with if it was much closer in performance to DSLR. I don't shoot static subjects and I've never been more frustrated using a camera than I have with a Fuji when it comes to capturing the moment!

Last edited:
I think that the first steps in photography should be deciding exactly what you want to achieve and how to achieve it. If what you want includes a high degree of detail resolution then you're going to have to select kit capable of delivering. Personally, even a Panasonic G1 is capable of delivering the detail I want but maybe I'm not too demanding :D

Maybe you could have a think about exactly what the problem is and if your aim can't be achieved with a 16mp (or whatever it is) APS-C camera (even a very good one) then something else may be a better option.

I think that the first steps in photography should be deciding exactly what you want to achieve and how to achieve it. If what you want includes a high degree of detail resolution then you're going to have to select kit capable of delivering. Personally, even a Panasonic G1 is capable of delivering the detail I want but maybe I'm not too demanding :D

Maybe you could have a think about exactly what the problem is and if your aim can't be achieved with a 16mp (or whatever it is) APS-C camera (even a very good one) then something else may be a better option.

Oh I don't disagree. I bought an X-E1 to dip my toe in so to speak, and I thought I could live with the results. I was looking to the future with enhanced AF performance and higher res (maybe not even X-Trans) being available in the years to come. This is sort of based on my current usage of old DSLR cameras in a 1Ds2 and 7D, but I am struggling with where the Fuji performance is at the moment. IQ wise I can live with it, but with AF and other handling performance being much further behind I'm finding that it's much harder to accept than I anticipated.

Last edited:
Back