The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

So the mysterious "super telephoto" has been confirmed as 150-400mm f/4-5.6, with a mockup on display.

Last edited:
So the mysterious "super telephoto" has been confirmed as 150-400mm f/4-5.6, with a mockup on display.

Really? I never seen that.

Like the look of the 16-55. Doesn't look much bigger than the 10-24 in size.

What about the firmware update people have been talking about around here. Is this coming out soon? (sorry if that as already be mentioned and I've just missed it).

I think the 55-200 is a bit short for most wildlife purpose? Don't think I'll ever have the money to justify the "big zoom". Any possibility that other manufacture such as sigma and tamron start doing lens for the xt-1?

I saw there's a saymyang 300 mm out and very tcheap but it's a mirror lens, so no af, no image stabilisation, constant aperture. Is this a pointless lens? I guess manual focusing and no image stabilisation is pretty hard at 300mm?

No OIS for the 16-55, that's me and my shaky hands out then. When you think how long Canon users have been wanting a 24-70 with IS I think this may be a mistake from Fuji

Looks like the firmware update is going to be November

16mm looks nice, all the others are a bit too big/heavy for my liking. Might just as well stick to a regular size body if the lenses are of an equivalent size, defeats the whole object of the exercise for me

Last edited:
No OIS for the 16-55, that's me and my shaky hands out then. When you think how long Canon users have been wanting a 24-70 with IS I think this may be a mistake from Fuji

Looks like the firmware update is going to be November

16mm looks nice, all the others are a bit too big/heavy for my liking. Might just as well stick to a regular size body if the lenses are of an equivalent size, defeats the whole object of the exercise for me

That's a shame,but will still get it :)

B and W version is only 28 quid, must be hand printing the colour version on an inkjet to want an extra £78 for it

Glad my Canon printer uses the relatively inexpensive unicorn semen and fairy blood!

Just got around to printing my holiday snaps, including the high ISO test shots I took with the X-T1. At A4, ISO6400 is useable - won't win any awards for quietness but it does allow a shot to be taken in extremely low light without a tripod (dawn, 1/28, f/22). Had I been more awake, I could (and should!) have knocked the aperture a bit wider but I wasn't (and was maybe still slightly pished from the evening before!)

The 18-135 did all I wanted it to do and although I took the 10-24 as well, it stayed in the bag. By the end of the holiday I was just taking the camera around my neck and leaving the bag in the room. Took the little dedicated flash as well but again, didn't use it. The only 2 shots I did use a flash for were taken with the baby nephew - the XF-1.

How do you find the camera / 18-135mm weight, it does look quite a beefy lens.

I'm still pondering which lenses to go for, I want it to be light as it will be going up many hills but useful. I'm thinking the 18-55mm to begin with but I do like the look of the 18mm, tiny and almost weightless.

Aaargh... confused.

I'm still pondering which lenses to go for, I want it to be light as it will be going up many hills but useful. I'm thinking the 18-55mm to begin with but I do like the look of the 18mm, tiny and almost weightless.

Aaargh... confused.

In terms of 'usefulness' you can't beat a zoom. You're not just covered at the widest angle. The 18-55 is hardly big or heavy.

In terms of 'usefulness' you can't beat a zoom. You're not just covered at the widest angle. The 18-55 is hardly big or heavy.

True, but I do have feet (or the bipedal zoom as its known) :D I often go out with my D7100 and just a 24mm lens to keep weight down but I do prefer a zoom, just makes life easier.
I'm off to Manchestah this afternoon to go and test cameras and lenses in Jessops so I should have a better idea of where I'm going with this later today.
I have to say that seeing the images on this thread and on flirkr I'm very, very impressed with the IQ.

True, but I do have feet (or the bipedal zoom as its known) :D I often go out with my D7100 and just a 24mm lens to keep weight down but I do prefer a zoom, just makes life easier.
I'm off to Manchestah this afternoon to go and test cameras and lenses in Jessops so I should have a better idea of where I'm going with this later today.
I have to say that seeing the images on this thread and on flirkr I'm very, very impressed with the IQ.

It is a very impressive camera, good luck with the testing.

Oh, don't forget to turn on high performance in settings, it makes quite a large difference to operation and AF speed.

Oh, don't forget to turn on high performance in settings, it makes quite a large difference to operation and AF speed

Don't forget a spare battery either especially with high performance on

Depending what you take photos of, but the 14mm is a nice lens too and a length not covered by any of the zooms (current or future) Stated my view on the 18-135mm and other large lenses to the point of boredom, but just too big for me and defeats the whole object of the smaller set up.

Don't forget a spare battery either especially with high performance on

Depending what you take photos of, but the 14mm is a nice lens too and a length not covered by any of the zooms (current or future) Stated my view on the 18-135mm and other large lenses to the point of boredom, but just too big for me and defeats the whole object of the smaller set up.

I find I easily get 400+ images with HP and Ill rarely take more than that in one 'session'. He's only going to test anyway so I doubt he needs to worry about that.

He's only going to test anyway so I doubt he needs to worry about that.

Good point, reckon I average about 300 on a full battery, daresay the wi-fi would hammer it even more. Wish the low battery warning was a bit more forgiving, only manage about two more shots once it shows up before the big red battery symbol appears and that's your lot.

Percentage or shots left would be a nice firmware change, didn't see it mentioned though

Last edited:
Good point, reckon I average about 300 on a full battery, daresay the wi-fi would hammer it even more. Wish the low battery warning was a bit more forgiving, only manage about two more shots once it shows up before the big red battery symbol appears and that's your lot.

Percentage or shots left left would be a nice firmware change, didn't see it mentioned though

Good point re battery percentage. That should be a must on any electrical device nowadays

Aaargh... confused.

Compared to what it took the place of, it's a featherweight! BUT, I used to carry a D800 with a 24-70 f/2.8... The 18-55 is marginally sharper but I doubt you'd notice on normal sized prints and the extra length is handy sometimes. One of the attractions of the 18-135 is that it's one of the weather sealed lenses so a great match for the X-T1, especially out on the hills.

Footzoom is good but not always possible. Modern zooms also (in general) outperform old primes and are far better than zooms used to be. The only way that primes win is in the width of aperture stakes and even then, only when you're after the ultra shallow DoF that can give. AF these days can cope with low light and high ISOs deal with that side of things very well too.

Aaargh... confused.

Not to bad,took it down to London for a trip a few weeks ago and wasn't as knacker out as when i took an DSLR kit with me :)

That went well. I went to Jessops first and had a play but the cameras are all attached to the shelves with dangling bits everywhere so I also went to Calumet. Met a very helpful and knowledgeable young man who got the X-T1, X-E2 and X-Pro1 out along with a selection of lenses and I had a good old go with all of them.
I like all the cameras but the X-T1 is just perfect, everything I want in a camera, also love the lenses, very well made but small and light. So, basically I just need to sell some kit/body parts so I can afford one.

Andy

Back