Fuji x100

I use a ThankTank modular pouch for when I just carry my X100 or X10 on their own
To carry them together, with batteries, cards, sunglasses, wallet, etc, I use a Domke F803. It fits the two cameras perfectly. I use a hard compact camera case to carry batteries and stuff in and that leaves the two front pouches empty for whatever you want. Its light and feels comfortable.
I have the ruggedwear one
Allan

Hello,
I couldn't wait for this camera as the reviews are over the moon.
Most probably I'll be fine shooting static subjects but at the moment I struggle taking pictures of my daughter ?!
She's 20 months old and most of the pics I took were blurred as she moves all the time.
Any advice on what settings should I go for, please?
Thank you very much indeed in advance.

Two IR shots, only had it a couple of days so still getting used to it. Haven't gone down the false colour route (yet!)

7839249532_47d2860bb0_b.jpg
[/url] IR Tree - Roath Park by /Cud, on Flickr[/IMG]

IR Macro by /Cud, on Flickr

Hello,
I couldn't wait for this camera as the reviews are over the moon.
Most probably I'll be fine shooting static subjects but at the moment I struggle taking pictures of my daughter ?!
She's 20 months old and most of the pics I took were blurred as she moves all the time.
Any advice on what settings should I go for, please?
Thank you very much indeed in advance.

I only shoot more or less static stuff with my x100 but I'd try the following to get sharper shots of moving kids:

1. Is it camera shake or subject movement causing the blurring? Make sure your shutter speeds are high enough. So many times I take blurry pics indoors, to find I am trying to handhold at 1/10th sec.
2. If it is subject movement then you could experiment with focussing methods. I cannot manually focus at all but I am sure it is possible for others. I don't use the AF-C setting on the x100 either but it might help. My AF approach would be to prefocus on a point and wait for the subject to get there.
3. Probably the easiest approach is to close down the aperture to get a deeper depth of field. With a wide angle lens like the x100's it doesn't take much to give you several feet of acceptable sharpness, especially if you are not too close to the subject. If it is dark, boost your ISO as noise is handled well on this camera and a slow shutter speed will give you subject blur. And don't pixel-peep - look at the shots full screen/at print size. Shots can looked blurred at 100% but are fine when viewed as intended.
4. Last thought is that the camera is so light I worry I cause camera shake when I take pictures. I understand a soft shutter release can help but I only managed about a dozen shots with mine before it fell off and I lost it. Make sure you are not the cause of the blurring though by shooting some static subjects and getting those sharp.

ianmarsh said:
I only shoot more or less static stuff with my x100 but I'd try the following to get sharper shots of moving kids:

1. Is it camera shake or subject movement causing the blurring? Make sure your shutter speeds are high enough. So many times I take blurry pics indoors, to find I am trying to handhold at 1/10th sec.
2. If it is subject movement then you could experiment with focussing methods. I cannot manually focus at all but I am sure it is possible for others. I don't use the AF-C setting on the x100 either but it might help. My AF approach would be to prefocus on a point and wait for the subject to get there.
3. Probably the easiest approach is to close down the aperture to get a deeper depth of field. With a wide angle lens like the x100's it doesn't take much to give you several feet of acceptable sharpness, especially if you are not too close to the subject. If it is dark, boost your ISO as noise is handled well on this camera and a slow shutter speed will give you subject blur. And don't pixel-peep - look at the shots full screen/at print size. Shots can looked blurred at 100% but are fine when viewed as intended.
4. Last thought is that the camera is so light I worry I cause camera shake when I take pictures. I understand a soft shutter release can help but I only managed about a dozen shots with mine before it fell off and I lost it. Make sure you are not the cause of the blurring though by shooting some static subjects and getting those sharp.

Excellent advice. The truth is, the autofocus isn't as good as a DSLR and with children it can be difficult even with a DSLR to get a sharp shot indoors because they move so quickly out of the field of focus and with indoor shots it tends to be a large aperture which decreases the depth of field further.

With relatively slow focus This makes it even harder.

In low light, consider using the flash to allow for a faster shutter speed with a smaller aperture so that the depth of field is increased but you get enough light.

Phall82 said:
Excellent advice. The truth is, the autofocus isn't as good as a DSLR and with children it can be difficult even with a DSLR to get a sharp shot indoors because they move so quickly out of the field of focus and with indoor shots it tends to be a large aperture which decreases the depth of field further.

With relatively slow focus This makes it even harder.

In low light, consider using the flash to allow for a faster shutter speed with a smaller aperture so that the depth of field is increased but you get enough light.

I never thought of advising to use the flash as I don't like flashed photos in general. But the x100's flash is well-judged and can look very natural

Just a snap of my son taken during a late evening walk:

7846812366_695c996e19_c.jpg

I thought the different coloured garage doors would look good but they didn't, so a quick run through Silver Efex Pro gave me something I'm happy with.

It's a digital rangefinder, at least that's what its described as in all the reviews I've seen.

Andy

If it's been described as a rangefinder and not like a rangefinder as Allan suggests then you need to start reading reviews somewhere else, inability to identify the type of camera being reviewed would cast a fair amount of doubt on the remainder of the review.

Love your pics Mr Kiddle!

Also that pics by Ian Marsh of his son is a beauty.

Just been backreading some of this thread, did anybody realise the guy who started this thread has a total number of 5 posts to date?
You can tell its raining here cant you? And I just booked 2 weeks holiday, starting today, to spend in the garden......:shrug:
Allan

Here's one I took recently that I like:

Llynnau Mymbyr by osh80, on Flickr

Looking forward to seeing what the new X-E1 is like - if it's good I may get it with the 14mm as a wide angle companion to my X100 :)

Thanks Ian. I definitely used a polariser for the second one, don't think I did for the first. Both are from single RAW files processed in Lightroom. I'm very pleased with the amount of detail that can be extracted from the RAW files - I took a JPEG version of the second and the sky was blown out whilst the land and trees were silhouetted. Having said that I suppose I could have got better JPEG results using Auto DR (I tend to use DR100 for RAW as it seems to work better in Lightroom). This one for example was a JPEG at ISO 800 DR400, and it got a good level of detail in both the sky and the foreground (though it did need a bit of processing):

Ogwen and the Glyderau by osh80, on Flickr

2 more ir shots, had a play round in photoshop to reduce the red colours:-

These IR pics are great.

Three from the Eden Project today. A couple (can't remember which!) were taken with the Raynox DCR250 attached.

Love the greens.

Thanks Ian. I definitely used a polariser for the second one, don't think I did for the first. Both are from single RAW files processed in Lightroom. I'm very pleased with the amount of detail that can be extracted from the RAW files - I took a JPEG version of the second and the sky was blown out whilst the land and trees were silhouetted. Having said that I suppose I could have got better JPEG results using Auto DR (I tend to use DR100 for RAW as it seems to work better in Lightroom). This one for example was a JPEG at ISO 800 DR400, and it got a good level of detail in both the sky and the foreground (though it did need a bit of processing):

All of your shots are great but the last one is even better with the polariser.

Here are a couple I've taken with the X100. It's such a fantastic camera. The large sensor in a small package is what I've always wanted.

FIRE
p1074785528-4.jpg

Curious dog
p1074774462-4.jpg

Last edited:
Took a day out in Camden yesterday. Never been there before but will definitely go again, really interesting place full of interesting people and sights. I had my first go at street shooting.

I put the camera on auto ISO and auto DR with B&W red filter setting. I was a bit conscious trying to get pictures of people without being intrusive.

Need to practice more but really enjoyed it

_DSF0530 by dave.proctor, on Flickr

_DSF0531 by dave.proctor, on Flickr

_DSF0528 by dave.proctor, on Flickr

_DSF0521 by dave.proctor, on Flickr

_DSF0506 by dave.proctor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Back