Fuji X20 Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
cancelled my order and bought the baby brother xf1 instead ideal for my needs but no thread :(

Well why not start the thread (y)

Not sure that the XF-1's lens is that much lesser than the X-10's. For one thing, it's marginally wider (24mm rather than 28 - both 35mm eq) and it's also slightly faster at that wide end at f/1.8 rather than f/2. Images from either will print well up to A3 SOOC and in a blind test here (look back in this very thread! # ), it was a fairly even split between as near as possible identical shots from the 2 brothers.

TBH, of the 2 (I own and use both), I prefer the XF-1 to the X-10, mainly due to the smaller physical size - it fits in a shirt pocket. Where it falls down (IMO) against the X-10 is the lack of OVF (although IMO the X-10's OVF is let down by the lack of any info, an issue partially addressed in the X-20), the lack of a hot shoe (not too big a deal for me, I rerely use flash anyway) and the difficulty in using filters.

I didn't start a new thread for the XF-1 since at the time I think I was the only user and it's so closely related to the X-10 that it fitted here anyway! Happy to contribute to a dedicated thread though! I do have an album in my gallery dedicated to XF-1 shots. http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=7195&page=1 Mainly test shots but a few of the more artistic variety as well!

ETA... ( # ) Oops! Not in this thread, in the X-10 one!

Last edited:
It has the same EXR cmos sensor as the X10 So it should deliver similar quality to an X10, though with a somewhat lesser lens.
Would seem to be an excellent pocket camera. Though a generation behind the X20.

considered this as well but I really fell hard for the x20's looks. :)

Looking at my XF-1 and X-10 side by side (and the X-20's the same as far as looks go), the XF-1 is by far the better looking! Of course, my XF-1 is in tan leather and silver while the X-10 is black on black but even in silver the X-x0 is the ugly brother! (IMO, of course!!!)

the X-x0 is the ugly brother! (IMO, of course!!!)

Am I allowed to say you have very odd taste ;)

Except coffee of course - if you still like Costa?

I do (both have odd tastes and like Costa - we've got a Tassimo machine and use the Costa pods for my Lattes and her Americanos)!

Hi there folks. My first post here, after reading a couple of threads for a while. Coming Fall I will be making a little trip to India, for a project I'm working on, and I want a smaller camera then my D700 to take with me.

Currently debating between a X20 and X100(s) (maybe OM-D, but probably not).

Will you be posting your experience with the camera here, once it has arrived?

Congratulations. I bet your very excited!

I'd be interested to see your settings once you've had a chance to play and of course some pictures would be great!

Enjoy your x20,

Here's one thread I'm looking at right now:

JPG Settings

I'll try the suggested settings as quoted below:

Film Sim: Astia
Dynamic Range: Auto
Color: High
Sharpness: Hard
Highlight Tone: M-Hard
Shadow Tone: M-Hard
Noise Reduction: M-Low
White Balance: Auto
WB Shift: +2 Red, -2 Yellow

You can find the source at Jonathan Fleming's Blog.

It's for the X100 but I'll give it a whirl tomorrow, then tweak as needed.

And, yes, excited like nothing! :LOL:

Here's one thread I'm looking at right now:

JPG Settings

I'll try the suggested settings as quoted below:

Film Sim: Astia
Dynamic Range: Auto
Color: High
Sharpness: Hard
Highlight Tone: M-Hard
Shadow Tone: M-Hard
Noise Reduction: M-Low
White Balance: Auto
WB Shift: +2 Red, -2 Yellow

You can find the source at Jonathan Fleming's Blog.

It's for the X100 but I'll give it a whirl tomorrow, then tweak as needed.

And, yes, excited like nothing! :LOL:

Just got 2 quick shots of my cat using the settings above, unfortunately the battery is flast and that is the end of my play time for a little :(

8638129182_73f38caef1_z.jpg
[/url]
DSCF0617 16 by Dan Clifford2012, on Flickr[/IMG]

DSCF0614 13 by Dan Clifford2012, on Flickr

Personally (see my sig for the disclaimer!), I stick all the settings to 0 or Normal and see what I feel needs tweaking for my tastes and final use (generally prints at up to A3+). I hate doing PP so try to get everything as "right" as possible in camera so I can simply upload to the 'puter and hit the Print button in the picture viewer.

Congrats on the X20 Chie - did you have to settle for the black on black version? (Hard to tell from the posted shot.) Enjoy!

Got the silver one, Devon. :)

Now then are you sitting there admiring it all day :LOL: or will you be using it and showing us some of the photos from it :)

Here we go. Got a feel for the camera today. Not much play done but here are a few images from today.

Using the settings I posted, I took a few photos of things around me. This is one I was happy with:

Back to Basics by purplbutrfly, on Flickr​

I tweaked a tiny bit on curves (barely an S really, I just wanted the image to 'pop' a little).

I was very curious about in-camera processing for RAW files, so I played and this is what I got:

540731_10151552419427485_2055704512_n.jpg

The left one is SOOC, no tweaks. The right one is what I played with in-camera.

Biggest gripe? Battery life. I knew it was going to be bad... but this bad? :thinking:

Chie

I've just looked through your Flickr pages at every single photograph & they are so good. And I love the quotes at the bottom of each.

Had a quick play with one in John Lewis today. It's nice, and the viewfinder display is better than I was expecting. Along with shutter and aperture, you get an indication of the focus area. Couldn't do too much though, as there was no memory card, and the camera hated that.

They also had an x100s, bit the battery was flat. I'm annoyed about that, as I wanted to have a play and see how it compares to the original.

Chie

I've just looked through your Flickr pages at every single photograph & they are so good. And I love the quotes at the bottom of each.

That was sweet of you to say, John. Thanks.

Thanks, too, for prompting me to view my stream again. It was an interesting walk down memory lane. :)

Biggest gripe? Battery life. I knew it was going to be bad... but this bad? :thinking:

Lithium batteries need a few complete charge and discharge cycles before hitting their peak charge level.
Give it a week or two, then you'll see an improvement in the length of time it holds a higher charge.

A fever that's causing you to hallucinate that you've got an X20?
Or someone else's photo of their X20?

My photo of my X20.

Lithium batteries need a few complete charge and discharge cycles before hitting their peak charge level.
Give it a week or two, then you'll see an improvement in the length of time it holds a higher charge.

Thanks for the information, Phil. :)

Have to say the silver version looks lovely. Very tempted! But, I don't see it being one I would use. Have a canon s95 and don't use much as iq is never as good as my other gear, which to be fair it wouldn't be as its a d700 and 24-70 or a 50/85mm prime! Can see this not being used too.

Have to say the silver version looks lovely. Very tempted! But, I don't see it being one I would use. Have a canon s95 and don't use much as iq is never as good as my other gear, which to be fair it wouldn't be as its a d700 and 24-70 or a 50/85mm prime! Can see this not being used too.

I know what you mean, Simon. The only reason I got one was that I was never satisfied with the point and shoot I got for myself a few years back (a canon s, but real basic - not an S but a PowerShot A3300 IS). It was bought to be a toy camera but it was just too toy-ish after years of dslr. It's now with my little boy.

Nothing will equal our dslrs. :) I never even thought of losing my Canon 5D MkII and all the lenses I have to go with it. Except, it's quite bulky and heavy to carry around with me all the time - hence this little X20 beauty.

From what I heard, the s95 is quite enough to get the creative juices flowing. A friend of mine who owns one is considering the XF-1 only for the looks alone. He said the s95 is actually ok for a year or more but he saw my X20 and felt he wanted a new p&s. :LOL:

Last edited:
I'm another who has an X-10 for portability and runs it alongside his DSLR kit. I'm also an XF-1 user and TBH prefer it to the X-10, purely on pocketability grounds! (Well, actually I think it's also a better looking camera than the X-10 but that's probably down to the metal top and base plates rather than the black paint!)

Yes, the DSLR gives better results and has some other advantages but I don't carry mine everywhere, let alone it and a selection of lenses but the XF-1 can sit in my shirt pocket ready for use at a moment or 2's notice. (Note to self - get semi rigid case for 'phone to free up said pocket for camera use rather than comms!)

:wave: Hi Chie

Surely your battery is charged by now :shrug:

Where are the shots from your new 'work of art' :thinking:

Hi, I don't know if anyone is interested but I've had an X20 for a couple of weeks now and I'm very impressed with the images that can be produced (A3s are no problem). Auto focus is a little sluggish in low light but certainly not a problem, exposure accuracy appears to be pretty accurate and flash exposures using the built in unit are very good. Incidently I contacted Fuji Technical to find out what the maximum external flash trigger voltage is (as it's not in the user manual) and they got back to me the next day advising me that it will accept trigger voltages up to 300 volts.

However a problem developed with the viewfinder display and fortunately my local dealer (Seymour Harrison of Folkestone) changed the unit over for me. What happened was the viewfinder display started to shimmer as if looking at an old movie and appeared slightly fogged when looking through it. When focus was activated instead of the focus point showing up in green it just showed a faint uncoloured outline of the focus point and the whole of the viewfinder lit up green instead. All of the other information also lost all of it's colour and contrast. In low light when focus was activated the whole of the viewfinder just lit up red.

I'd be interested to hear if this problem happens to anyone else. Other than that these really are exceptional pieces of kit.

Hi, I don't know if anyone is interested but I've had an X20 for a couple of weeks now and I'm very impressed with the images that can be produced (A3s are no problem). Auto focus is a little sluggish in low light but certainly not a problem, exposure accuracy appears to be pretty accurate and flash exposures using the built in unit are very good. Incidently I contacted Fuji Technical to find out what the maximum external flash trigger voltage is (as it's not in the user manual) and they got back to me the next day advising me that it will accept trigger voltages up to 300 volts.

However a problem developed with the viewfinder display and fortunately my local dealer (Seymour Harrison of Folkestone) changed the unit over for me. What happened was the viewfinder display started to shimmer as if looking at an old movie and appeared slightly fogged when looking through it. When focus was activated instead of the focus point showing up in green it just showed a faint uncoloured outline of the focus point and the whole of the viewfinder lit up green instead. All of the other information also lost all of it's colour and contrast. In low light when focus was activated the whole of the viewfinder just lit up red.

I'd be interested to hear if this problem happens to anyone else. Other than that these really are exceptional pieces of kit.

Thank you for the information, George. They are quite lovely things. It is unfortunate that you had to go through that but quite fortunate that your local dealer helped you resolve it.

How long after you purchase did you experience that? And, have you past that time frame with your replacement with no similar incident?

A friend of mine is considering the X20 but only if it works with the Canon flash. Do you think it would do that with no issues? (I'm not a flash user myself.)

Lastly, please do share images from your X20. I'd love to see other real-life images! :)

Hi. It took 13 days to develop the fault and have only had the exchange unit since Thursday this week and no problems as we speak.

I've tried the unit with Nikon D800, & Metz 32CT2, Metz 45CT5, flash units and all work perfectly, all of these units are "POSITIVE" centre terminal.

I've also tried it with a couple of old Courtenay Colorflash II studio flash units which have a triggering voltage of 180 volts, these units are "NEGATIVE" centre terminal so to use these with a digital camera via the hotshoe the terminal contacts in the conecting lead MUST BE reversed. It's very easy to do just open up the jack plug and re solder the wires to the other side of the terminals at one end and Hey Presto job done.

Your friends Canon flash should work perfectly well on the X20 but of course it won't be dedicated. Any flash power adjustments will have to be done manually or if the unit has internal computer settings you can use them. Apertures will have to be set on the X20 manually and shutter speeds will work perfectly with flash up to at least 1/1000s with any aperture and probably higher than that with apertures of F2.8 or smaller (the shutter on the X20 has a maximum shutter speed of 1/1000s when using either F2.8 or F2). The triggering voltage will not be a problem as Canon cameras I understand don't like high voltages (probably no more than 6volts) so if it's a genuine Canon unit there shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this all helps you and your friend and anyone else that's interested.

Hi. It took 13 days to develop the fault and have only had the exchange unit since Thursday this week and no problems as we speak.

I've tried the unit with Nikon D800, & Metz 32CT2, Metz 45CT5, flash units and all work perfectly, all of these units are "POSITIVE" centre terminal.

I've also tried it with a couple of old Courtenay Colorflash II studio flash units which have a triggering voltage of 180 volts, these units are "NEGATIVE" centre terminal so to use these with a digital camera via the hotshoe the terminal contacts in the conecting lead MUST BE reversed. It's very easy to do just open up the jack plug and re solder the wires to the other side of the terminals at one end and Hey Presto job done.

Your friends Canon flash should work perfectly well on the X20 but of course it won't be dedicated. Any flash power adjustments will have to be done manually or if the unit has internal computer settings you can use them. Apertures will have to be set on the X20 manually and shutter speeds will work perfectly with flash up to at least 1/1000s with any aperture and probably higher than that with apertures of F2.8 or smaller (the shutter on the X20 has a maximum shutter speed of 1/1000s when using either F2.8 or F2). The triggering voltage will not be a problem as Canon cameras I understand don't like high voltages (probably no more than 6volts) so if it's a genuine Canon unit there shouldn't be a problem.

Hope this all helps you and your friend and anyone else that's interested.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this exhaustively. Very helpful information. :)

Can't help but share an image of the camera itself. :)

The Instrument by purplbutrfly, on Flickr

(in order of appearance) Fuji X20 Silver, MatchTechnical Bug Silver, Manfrotto Nano IV (not in picture), NP-50 batt (not in picture), Gordy's Wrist Strap String Long Black Leather and Gray Wax Thread

Last item on the list: Filter. Can't find a 40.3mm. Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back