Full kit? Your recommendations please

It sounds like your best bet is to start with the kit lens. Spend some time playing and you will soon discover if you need anything else. Are you finding that you want to go wider or are you wishing you had more reach.

for money then the kit lens 18-55 IS and the f1.8 50mm. (the 1.8 means that it'll take better photos in lower light conditions)

however, if getting shots of your daughter is a priority I'd try to borrow someone's 2.8 17-50mm sigma or tamron
very handy
also someone mentioned a flash, very helpful, the 430ex is a nice canon unit

1) For people a lens with a wider aperture is preferable, for a zoom lens f2.8, the longer the focal distance the better people look (less distortion), on a 450d about 50mm is probably better though indoors you may need a wider lens such as 20 or 30mm. Hence I would recommend the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 lens. For the best portraits a prime lens with a large aperture such as f1.8 or f1.4 is useful such as the 50mm or 85mm. A flash such as the Canon 430exii is useful when the light is not perfect (i.e. most of the time).

3) For landscapes you do not have to use a wide angle, if you use a long lens you can pick out different views. The 17-50mm would be a fine starting point although you can move to a 10-22 or similar lens in the future particularly if you enjoy the distinctive style you tend to get from these lenses. A tripod and a circular polarising filter are very useful.

2) + 4) Again the standard 17-50 would be fine, as would the 10-22mm. If you want to pick out individuals in a crowd or architectural details.

With regards to going 'wider', there have been so many many times in the past where my mind sees what I want to capture (say on the beaches in Barbados) and I'll be showing friends back home saying "Oh but if you could've been there and seen it for yourself ......" and I get frustrated that my shots end up looking like just another strip of sand by the sea :( Bear in mind ***, I am talking about my Canon Ixus 75 which, although I am happy with it as a "shove it in the handbag" camera, I have outgrown it. Would a kit lens to start be sufficient to capture what my eyes can actually see then?

I know what you're all saying about seeing what I need as I go along but I am an impatient little so-&-so and I want all my stuff at once so I can play with it and show off like you lot, teehee :D From what I've read about lenses, I don't think that the choices I have made are that 'far out'. They seem to be along the lines of what most people have so I'm guessing at some point I will want them too. Or is that dumb? Honest opinions welcome ;)

Some good advice being passed about on here, if you want to check out good prices and some vouchers, I found this site and it might help you in buying what you need.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/

I always look on here before buying anything, just the memory cards alone are a winner !!

there is both the tamron 17-50mm f2.8 and sigma 10-20mm for sale in the classifieds. These will probably satisfy most general photography. I'd investigate the longer end in more detail after you've had the camera for a couple of months and know what you really want.

however, if getting shots of your daughter is a priority I'd try to borrow someone's 2.8 17-50mm sigma or tamron very handy

Those are my nieces in the photos. I have a son (16 yrs). Alas, you won't be seeing many (if any) shots of him as he a) does not smile on demand or at all, and b) I'm not sure he actually has eyes/a face anymore. He's been hidden behind his hair for about 3 years now :LOL:

Edit: Found a couple of recent shots to show him off :)

My boy
Mike.jpg

Me and my boy, back to back
MeandMike.jpg

Thanks everyone for your continued advice - guess I still have some reading to do :bang:

we never stop learning about photography and kit...
that's why the forum is so popular :)

that and freesylte ability to opine about everyone's snaps :)

this is all great advice, and my gosh this forum has opened my eyes i have alot to learn. I was going to go for the 450d before jessops recommended I went for the 1000d and beings I was on a budget it was the better option.

Do you have the camera yet? you will love it :)

No not yet :( I'm in such a quandry now. I have been offered a second hand 450d but it seems that it isn't such a good price as I originally thought. And looking at various price comparison websites, looks like I can get a brand new one (obviously with full warranty) for the same price or just a little bit more.

My main confusion however is still over lenses. The thing is - the money I have for this 'kit' is a gift in the form of inheritance. My grandmother died the other week and my mother has said that she will buy me a camera and the lenses that I need. I don't want to have to go back to her in a few months time and say "Hey, you know those lenses ... well I now know what I need so ...". Knowing my mom like I do, the money will have been spent by then LOL

I am not one to look a gift horse in the mouth and to be honest I would be happy just with the 450d and kit lens. I suppose I could buy any lenses I will need in the future on a 'need' basis BUT it is too good an offer from my mother to pass up getting it all now.

Oh what to do, what to do!!!

I get more confused the more I learn in all honesty ...........

I bet, I am like you and it took me months to decide what to go for and whether I was doing the right thing (costing for me) but now Ive done Im still umm and arring over whether I should have got the 450D! Someone mentioned the refurbished models on this thread from ebay, and I was thinking about them but had quite a lot of people advise me against it, but now Im not so sure.

Were women I think its in our nature to be indecisive!! Im still completely in the dark about what lens to go for next?!?

Could you not take the money off her or get jessops gift vouchers with the rest so then you can get a lens when you know what you want?

x

Good idea about the vouchers. Might just do that so I can get this camera bought! lol (y)

All I am pretty sure about is that I will need something that will reach further than the bog standard kit lens and that I will also need 50mm f1.8 plus a 10mm-20mm ......... or at least I think that's what I'm sure about lol

Hi

My fiancee... now wife as of three weeks ago recently moved from her compact camera to a digital SLR... I think because photography was my hobby she has just picked it up from me.... She was happy with her compact and I taught her much about composition etc until I felt it was the camera more than anything that was holding her back. The compact does not let you develop your photography creatively... ie selective focus... motion blur... depth of field etc.

So really she was in the same situation as you... and to be honest from your earlier post where you mention trips in the car with your mum and traveling... she takes a similar style of photo and was at the same level as you where at!

She got the 450d... and I have to say it's a cracking little camera... too small for me being a 5d user... but I feel ideally suited to a womans hand. It has all the features you need... and even to be honest I need... but I just opted for full frame when I moved over to digital two years ago due to its compatability with my lenses... but dont worry about that... for you a crop sensor camera would be ideal.

She got the 18-55 kit lens and its a great player and produces great results.

One thing i'd add to other peoples coments is that you should posibly consider a superzoom lens... there are some good and not to heavy ones about... something in the 18-200 range. The reason why I say this is based on two factors... the first being travel... traveling with this sort of lens is just so much easier... As a girl... now im generalising here I know... and you dont look like a butch german weightlifter you really wont want to be carring a huge camera bag about with you... or do you???

The second is simply less hassle... as you wont need to change lenses so much... as your subject varies so much when travelling... and in the general nature of your photography... you will want to shoot one thing in wide angle then you will find your next shot wants to be zoomed in on a detail... or someone candid in the distance... hence the superzoom means you are not changing lenses all the time which you unfortunately would do in your situation with other peoples recomendations... and trust me you would... I'm a travel photographer and you at least need the 18-70mm range covered in one lens or you will be changing all the time... but the superzoom of 18-200 will be even better.

The superzoom is a comprimise in quality... but at your stage of photography not one you need wory too much about. And use your kit lens for most things if you can get away with it... but if your are travelling you will soon find constant lens changing a real hassle.

Then other travel and general essentials do include... a good comfortable bag... If you are travelling i'd go for a kata or lowe pro one which gives you space for the camera and other stuff like sun cream, guide book etc.

Then a cable release... tripod and hotshoe spirit level if you want to do any landscape or low light stuff.

Erm what else... if you wanted another lens then go wide... but to be honest the 18mm on crop sensor is wide enough for most landscape applications... anything wider can get wackey and takes a lot of practase to master.

To be honest... If you get the camera and your lenses... anything else is not too much to buy later...

So as my advice get the 450d and then look at something like a 18-200... or see if you can get a kit with the 450d body and an 18-200mm.

Oh and finally... I'd always buy new... but that's me... I like the security of a guarentee!

Thanks Mark :) It's been really helpful hearing your views on it and how your wife came to her decision. I feel a lot more comfortable about my choice now (y)

Thanks Mark :) It's been really helpful hearing your views on it and how your wife came to her decision. I feel a lot more comfortable about my choice now (y)

Glad to be of help... what did you finally end up with regarding lenses?

M

No purchases made as yet but hopefully tomorrow.

Am looking to get the 'nifty fifty' as so many people seem to mention that one :) And the 17-50mm 2.8 Tamron (is that right?). Only ones I am confused about are: 28-135mm, 55-200mm or 18-200mm. What's the real difference as they all seem pretty close in range (well, to my newbie eye anyway). Oh, and considering the 10-20mm which, again, I've heard a lot of people mention.

So that would be 4, plus the kit lens as well. Too many? Oh wait, I suppose I could just buy the body of the camera and ignore the kit lens entirely, utilising the Tamron and one of the longer range ones above that I haven't managed to decide on ...... :thinking: Oh dear. See? I just can't get my head round this.

If my choices are correct, anyone want to point me in the direction of links? If any of you lived in my street, honestly at this point I would be handing you a wad of cash and saying "Please just do it for me because my brain has melted" :LOL:

Don't forget a memoy card so you can start snapping, and these are much cheaper online than in the shops.....

If you ar ebuying this kit all in one go, from one shop, thn get the best online prices to take with you and haggle haggle haggle........

I have 3 or 4 SD memory cards already for my Ixus, randomly collected over the years. I presume these are compatible?

If the camera takes SD you will be fine, just check

Canon 450d. Will this take SD??

Re: Lenses - Off to bed now but hoping some night owls might jump in and advise me before my trip to the shops tomorrow :) Night everyone! :wave:

I started with a 300D and the kit lens.
Next lens i got was the Sigma 10 -20mm
After that I really noticed that I needed a zoom lens and a flash,
so went for the 430EX flash and
50 -150mm Sigma 2.8 - my fav lens.
Of course a bag to put it all in,

since then i have changed the camera body to a 40D, bought a tripod and am on the hunt for a fast prime lens (50mm 1.4 perhaps)

And then a tripod as I found myself taking more and more pics at sunset (and even sunrise)

So, I think you are along the right lines, but for 'life' photography, i normally use the kit lens on the 40D, or my zoom.

The 10-20 was great at first, but i find that i use it less and less now. Still not selling it as it is great when the right opportunity arises.

I borrowed a 50mm price (1.8) and was impressed by it, but have plans to take more indoor shots and so am planning on stumping up the extra for the 1.4 (£300 vs £80).

Dunno if that really helps? But if it is a case of buying as much as you can in one go, then my preference would be for the 40D kit, a good zoom lens and a bag and tripod.

If you're going for a replacement for the kit lens there's little point buying the kit lens! buy the body only and a decent walkaround lens.

You haven't considered the sigma 17-70 f2.8-4.5 - many people on here like it and it's a solid performer. The other is the tamron 28-75 f2.8 - very sharp if you get a good one. These two lenses have a good range so you probably won't want anything else for a while, until you become familiar with what the limitations of the lenses/focal lengths are.

If you find you don't need a wider angle lens as 17mm is wide enough (it will be for most things) then you'll have more cash to splash on the longer end, like one of the canon 70-200 L lenses or sigma 70-200 f2.8.

I'm sooooo glad I read this post - It has saved me asking the exact same question!

Looks like the Canon 450D is the one for me too. My main purpose is to capture family and work events and hopefully to photograph my sisters wedding in 2011 if I'm good enough by then.

This is going straight into my favourites!

Stephanie, I know what you mean about the shoes! I got married 2 weeks ago and the hubby bought be 2 pairs of Louboutins as a wedding pressie - I was supposed to get a camera but couldn't resist the shoes!!

x

450d does take an SD card.

If you go out today looking for a specific lens in a specific shop... be prepaired to be disapointed... especially with Tamron or Sigma lenses esp... that's been my experiance... they will order it for you etc... but rarely will they have what you want in... that said you might be lucky!

I'd look at these lenses in your position...

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy...-vc-ld-aspherical-if-macro-canon-fit/p1028429

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-canon-ef-s-18-200mm-f3-5-5-6-is-lens/p1028041

You should stick to lenses designed for the crop sensor camera... that is with a wide angle focal length of about 18mm... honestly that will be wide enough initially. Then if you feel you want wider get the sigma 10-20mm which is a cracker. And if its a money issue later you could always put the money away now and spend later if you find you really do get into SLR photography... which at this stage you only think you will and you dont know!

As for other now purchases... def a tripod and cable release... nice rucsac type bag... a polarising filter... a few books and then spend your time using your equipment rather than getting gear sickness like I get sometimes and spend too much time wishing for this or that!

Hope that helps... honestly dont rush into buying all this kit at once!

Mark

have you got it yet, if you're buying kit once i'd be tempted to get a 40d tamron 17-50 canon 70-200 f4L either a 50mm f1.4 or a
50mm f1.4 and a 430ex
a bag, a few filters (cokin stuff) a spare battery and a few cf cards

you should be set untill you find you need something more in a few years

just an idea sorry for derailing you

I'm a Nikon shooter so I'll vote for a Nikon :)

The D90 is a good high-end body that sits just below the professional lines and I'd suggest one of these if you plan on getting serious. The Nikon kit lenses are pretty good so with any Nikon grab the body+lens kit.

Probably the first thing to get would be a fast normal prime lens. On the consumer bodies a normal lens is below the 'conventional' 50mm -- so, go for the new Nikon AF-S 35/1.8.

For a flash an SB-600 will give you plenty of power and control. An alternative would be to initially go for a more compact 'mini'-flash such as the SB-400. ... less power and control but easily fits in pretty much any pocket.

Bags: Two I like are LowePro Mini Trekker AW backpack and the LowePro Rezo 180AW shoulder bag. Both would give you room to grow your kit. There is a Micro trekker backpack, smaller and still ok for a D90 though it doesn't have the all weather (AW) cover.

Tripods -- I'd go for a Manfrotto 190XPROB Pro Tripod and a good quality ball head.

I'd maybe wait on the tripod until you can afford an Arca-Swiss type ball head (e.g. a Markins Q3), they are expensive (~£260) but far, far better than anything else -- a joy to use. You will need a plate for your camera that slots onto the type of ball head you pick (~£40).

Other things to look at: a good circular polarizer, a rocket blower, a lens pen, an OpTech camera strap.

...I'd resist the temptation to buy more lenses until you've got used to the above. Wait until you know what you want to do... Landscape, portrait, wildlife. You can then get a good lens (and maybe accessories) for that rather than lots of lower tier lenses to cover everything. By then you'll also have a far better idea of any trade-offs you're making.

For software, Gimpshop is pritty good. designed to replicate the feel of Photoshop. Its free also.

I have tried this on my spare pc. GIMPshop 2.2.4 for Windows, and it handles images well. http://www.gimpshop.com/ use the download link at the top. no ads. no spam either.

Photoshop and Lightroom can also be had in the underground ways. but i am not suggesting it can be downloaded for free, of course, hehe

What hasn't been mentioned is how one changes the settings, on the Nikon D200 for example most of the main settings are in the menu, in other words you have to go into menu-find the setting you want- alter it -then come out of menu. The Nikon D300 has most of the major settings are situated on the body via switches or dials. I am not a Canon expert so can't say about them, but no doubt some Canon owner can advise on this better.

THis is one big advantage the Nikon D300 has over the Nikon D200 .

Realspeed

My 450d (bottom end canon) has dedicated buttons for most things, WB, ISO, AF type, Picture style, Shutter mode, metering mode etc

Reading "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson will help your knowledge increase rapidly.

:plus1:

I'm a complete novice with these camera thingys too and have been unfortunate enough to get the 'photography bug' (costing me a bloody fortune :nuts: :bonk::bang:)

Anyway, do as the quote above says... reason being, I used to poop myself at mere the thought of using manual mode on my D60 and after getting this book a couple of days ago, my camera is never off manual. It makes you want to get out and experiment with all the different combinations regarding shutter speed and aperture... results are terrific :clap:

I'm by no means a competent tog but even I can see a difference in the pictures I'm taking now (y)

Happy snapping (y)

Back