Fungi

Edit My Images
Yes
I'm pretty new to all this - usually photos are "snaps" thrown up onto the likes of Facebook but, having had a DSLR for a couple of months, and enjoying it, I bought myself a nifty fifty.

Here's one of my shots taken at the weekend - I got a bit carried away with low DOF (pretty much everything taken during the afternoon was taken at f/2.8!) having been using the kit option lenses.

Anyway, here's some small fungi, growing on a plywood step in the garden. Only modification is a change of the WB.

IMG_3629-Flickr by virmin78, on Flickr

Looking forward to some comments - good or bad! :)

why so small a dof...really most of the shot isnt in focus...
need to do a bit of cropping to make a balanced composition out of it
cheers
geof

I think part of the low DOF on this, was likely to me using a low ISO and hand-holding. Re-looking at the EXIF, I was at ISO 100, f/2.8 and 1/80s. I remember being a bit unsteady taking the shot as I had several attempts at getting it relatively still!

Fair comment though, next time I'll make use of the DOF preview, increase the ISO and aperture.

Out of interest, how/where would you be cropping?

I think part of the low DOF on this, was likely to me using a low ISO and hand-holding. Re-looking at the EXIF, I was at ISO 100, f/2.8 and 1/80s. I remember being a bit unsteady taking the shot as I had several attempts at getting it relatively still!

Fair comment though, next time I'll make use of the DOF preview, increase the ISO and aperture.

Out of interest, how/where would you be cropping?

firstly i can commisserate on the iso and light problem
i am the same...i wont go over 100 if i can help...
really more dof is possible with a wider angle focal length...then actually stopping down and slightly underexposing with the lowest speed you can ...and jam your body around the camera..
so for my 4/3 sensor camera at the 17.5 setting on the zoom i would go down to 1/30 and really tense up as i gently applied the shutter ...then another shot at 1/40..if the first was suspect...and for good measure anyway

as for cropping...just make the shot seem as if you were closer
and i put a bit of spin on it

Fu by mrcrow_uk, on Flickr

cheers
geof

Would you believe I did get shots just like your edit - well, the angle anyway! I was unsure of those and went with the posted pic! If I get chance I'll add some to my Flikr. Thanks for the tips too - was a pain kneeling and bent over trying to what I got. I should have tried with my tripod. There's always next time! :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using TP Forums

Would you believe I did get shots just like your edit - well, the angle anyway! I was unsure of those and went with the posted pic! If I get chance I'll add some to my Flikr. Thanks for the tips too - was a pain kneeling and bent over trying to what I got. I should have tried with my tripod. There's always next time! :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using TP Forums

dont mention the kneeling...i get cramp and a sore neck sometimes trying to get close and steady the camera..

i have used all sorts of things...bits of wood and rocks with my handkerchief under the base of my camera...breathing like thunder all over the viewfinder and then finally breathe out...hold it...press the shutter...exhale
stand up and uncreak all my legs and arms and then muster strength for another go...all the time my jeans are getting wet or muddy at the knees and my elbows on my old fleece
always wear old clothes to do photography in the country
cheers
geof

Back