Gary Fong style clear lightsphere that will fit a Sony HVL-F42AM?

Name
Bal Sanghera
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey guys havent had much luck with this at the moment, I am after a clear gary fong style lightsphere for my Sony HVL-42AM I can easily find the correct ones for the F32 and F56 but not sure about the F42...

Been on microglobe one ebay and googled for hours but cant get a definate answer.

Does anyone use one for the Sony HVL-F42AM if so which one and from where? Or can anyone confirm if the Sony HVL-F42AM is the same size as the Sony HVL-F36AM or the Sony HVL-F56AM :help:

He is unable to confirm, ideally would like to hear from someone already using one...

These are the dimensions according to sony site
Dimensions (Approx.) : (WHD) 2-15/16 x 4-13/16 x 3-15/16" (75 x 123 x 100 mm)

TBH don't bother just get a stofen type diffuser. same effect and you look like less of a **** lol

Already have a sto-fen diffuser and to be honest I have seen the difference the gary fong style diffusers makes and would really like to have one.

Already have a sto-fen diffuser and to be honest I have seen the difference the gary fong style diffusers makes and would really like to have one.

seriously? get one of the chinese copy's off ebay if you really want one. GF prices are stupid

HVL-F36AM
Dimensions (Approx.) : 2 3/4 x 4 7/8 x 3 5/8" (68 x 122 x 89mm)

HVL-F42AM
Dimensions (Approx.) : (WHD) 2-15/16 x 4-13/16 x 3-15/16" (75 x 123 x 100 mm)

HVL-F56AM
Dimensions (Approx.) : 3 1/8 x 5 1/4 x 4" (77.5 x 131 x 99.5mm)

from the above info can anyone tell me where I can get a lightsphere II for the HVL-F42AM

I recently got one of Graham's Lambency Diffuser's and it proved very handy at the wedding last Friday. Highly recommended for the price, really nice soft light and in most cases no shadow on the wall behind the subject, or at worst a very slight shadow.

Significantly better results than I've ever achieved with a Stofen.

TBH don't bother just get a stofen type diffuser. same effect and you look like less of a **** lol

Stofen diffusers are strictly for indoor use only. Anybody using them outdoors is wasting their time and wasting flash range.

Softness of flash light is made up of two key areas:

1. Bounce

2. Diffuse

The size of the light source is the main concern when you're looking for more natural results. The larger the source of light coming from your flash, the softer and more appealing the result becomes. If you bounce off a ceiling or wall then the ceiling or wall becomes the new light source. And because this new light source is hundreds of times larger than the head of your flashgun, the light reflected back onto the subject is much softer and more natural.

That's why a Stofen is so effective indoors. The Stofen spreads the light right out across the room so it bounces back off ceilings, walls, doors and your Uncle Bob's shiny head etc. That's also why a Stofen should ALWAYS be used with the flash head tilted up at 45 degrees. Using a Stofen straight on is a waste of time.

If you're outdoors or in a large hall a Stofen is useless. That's when you've got to resort to the more silly looking flash modifiers from Lumiquest and Mr Fong. They may look stupid but they work extremely well. I favour the Lumiquest models but that's just my own opinion.

Using a bounce unit such as the Lumiquest Pocket Bouncer effectively provides a small ceiling for your flash to bounce off. And because this little ceiling is 5 or 6 times the size of your flash head, the light it fires at your subject is much softer.

To take it a step further you can then also diffuse the light in addition to bouncing it. Using the Lumiquest Big Bounce as an example, it not only provides a little ceiling for your flash, it also diffuses the light through its diffusion screen creating an even softer result. The downside is that you lose more flash range. My advice would be to get the smallest diffuser/bouncer you think you can get away with. The results from the Big Bounce and larger softboxes are superb when taking portraits of individuals and small groups but you couldn't use one to take a picture of a group of 30 people in a hall because you wouldn't have enough flash power.

Also remember, the larger the light source becomes the more range you lose from your flash.

Take a look at this site. If you click on some of their Lumiquest products there are some videos that demonstrate what I am talking about. Unfortunately there is no mention of Fong diffusers but it is still useful info for people wondering what diffusers and bouncers are all about.

How do I know all this? I take a LOT of portraits (indoors and outdoors) and learning this stuff has helped immensely.

Back