George
Edit My Images
Yes
Here's hoping things are improving ;)

Gateau Breton with Rhubarb & Black Current Compot:

3784250229_8d27790f2c.jpg

As always I'd love your feedback.

Last edited:
Unfortunately KG it looks like you're suffering from a terrible thing called camera shake in this image.

What settings did you use? Was the camera mounted on a tripod?

I'd also prefer to see either the whole plate or no plate in the background (y)

I did take some without the plate for comparison:

3784255093_023f1f0ff5.jpg

Settings were for this photo:
Exposure: 0.1 sec (1/10)
Aperture: f/5.7
Focal Length: 85 mm
ISO Speed: 200

And for the first one:

Focal Length: 75 mm

No tripod - yes I know I should have done but I was rushing :(

10x better. Second one is still suffering from a bit of camera shake. Try either a remote release or the timed shutter button. Press the AF-Drive button next to the top LCD screen and then scroll till you see a little circle with a line through it with a 2 next to it. When you press the button, 2 seconds later it will take the shot.

Unfortunately your framing is still a little off for me. I'd prefer to see the whole plate or no plate! The cake is nice and sharp (i'm assuming it's cake?) and looks scrumptious. Tilt it a bit lower to see more of the cake though :)

The table cloth being creased is also a big distraction for me (along with everything our little foodpoison said ;)).

Try this: Camera on tripod, f/7.1, shutter 1/100, ISO 800 (if need be, maybe more maybe less) the 50D is great at handling noise, there is no reason to avoid whacking the ISO up a bit more :). Or you could keep your ISO at 100 and use a more powerful light source. I also agree with the removal of the plate.

Now, that is not how I perceive a Gateau. Where are all the chocolate, cream and cherries? :D

hmmmmmmmmmm.......

Any chance of seeing it larger? The full 800 pixel, on the longest side, size? The crop is a little tight to my eyes. Is this a new shot or one of the others cropped?

That last one is the best of the lot - the cloth could do with an iron though, or fold it so you can see the edges/folds (but not what is underneath). I must admit when I mentioned coloured cloths/backgrounds the other week I had not envisaged something quite so bright but it works for me.

PS - still eating the last of the raspberry/creme fraise cake - made miles too much and had to freeze it - such a shame :D

Couldn't get the aperture any lower with that lens. Have retaken this using a tripod - look any better?

3785072468_1a1a26df0a.jpg

Exposure: 0.067 sec (1/15)
Focal Length:85 mm

and ...

3784268689_e40cba83a2.jpg

Focal Length:85 mm

:cautious: I wanted to see the larger files to try and help a little more ... you do realise that flickr shows the time each shot was taken in your exif right? :LOL: All of these shots were taken within a couple of minutes, at around 12pm today, how could you have taken those above again since this thread was started almost 2 hours later?

Seriously though, speeds of 1/10 - 1/15 is where your problem lies, given that you are handholding. If you try it again with a tripod, and try some of the setting both foodpoison and I have suggested you might get the results you're after :)

Back