Critique Gavarnie Cloud Inversion

All nice, Steve, but three is a bit special.

All nice, Steve, but three is a bit special.

Three stands out indeed. The composition has that extra layer of complexity which makes all the difference.

Processing wise more contrast, clarity and saturation would be quite helpful.

I am pretty pleased with 3 and 2 I love because the clouds mirror the mountain shape. It's just a great place Ruth and anyone who likes being in nature and away from it all should come here.

it sure is a great place. Where did you stay, steve?

On two visits to Gavarnie I've seen cloud inversions both times. It must be very prone to them.

it sure is a great place. Where did you stay, steve?

On two visits to Gavarnie I've seen cloud inversions both times. It must be very prone to them.

In my Lexus :p - sorry couldn't resist. Well actually I was going to but hotels are cheap in the off season - http://www.luz-terminus.fr/UK/ down in Luz Saint Sauveur.

On four visits I've had three inversions. The next one didn't give one but it gave the sort of golden light and redish sky you aren't so keen on

All the pictures here - http://www.sftphotography.co.uk/september-2018-landscape-photography-gavarnie/

Pic du Tentes for both of these. Nice walk and really should mix things up a bit.

Interesting post on your blog, Steve. I guess you must have walked from the car park at Col de Tentes up onto Pic de Tentes and then along eastwards towards Pic de la Pahule? I did that walk in June with a mate although it wasn't very photogenic that day.

There are some really good views into the Cirque from just north of village. For example there's a statue called "Notre Dame des Neiges" (at 1519m) which is easy to access and also from the GR 10 long distance path just north of there on the other side of the valley.

About your photographs: the ones in this thread don't really do it for me. I much prefer the ones in your blog which you haven't included here. It seems to me that photographers are seduced by sunsets and sunrises and that sometimes seems to over-ride any other consideration. But that's just me.....

Just for information, there are some Air B&B places in the village that work out quite reasonable and there's plenty of cafe's etc. nearby.

Interesting post on your blog, Steve. I guess you must have walked from the car park at Col de Tentes up onto Pic de Tentes and then along eastwards towards Pic de la Pahule? I did that walk in June with a mate although it wasn't very photogenic that day.

There are some really good views into the Cirque from just north of village. For example there's a statue called "Notre Dame des Neiges" (at 1519m) which is easy to access and also from the GR 10 long distance path just north of there on the other side of the valley.

About your photographs: the ones in this thread don't really do it for me. I much prefer the ones in your blog which you haven't included here. It seems to me that photographers are seduced by sunsets and sunrises and that sometimes seems to over-ride any other consideration. But that's just me.....

Just for information, there are some Air B&B places in the village that work out quite reasonable and there's plenty of cafe's etc. nearby.

Yep you’ve nailed the walk I’ve done. It’s a lovely one for sure

Two years back I did the statue (well shot from it)- I couldn’t get a composition that clicked for me.

I’ve done the walk up to the circ two years back - couldn’t do it for reasons mentioned in the blog this time.

Thanks for the tip on the Gr10 though - I’ll be back.

Fear not, the pictures from the blog will also end up on here. I like sunsets/sunrises but I’m not allergic to day time shooting either.

Last edited:
Back