General Filter Questions

Name
Lee
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to invest in some filters, but on doing some research it's a bit of a minefield of different options

I originally thought about getting a screw in polariser filter and a 10 stop to go on my new tok 11-16mm, but found out the polariser can be a bit temperamental on a uwa.

I then found out how hard to get correct exposures are with a bright sky, so need a nd grad filter when doing some landscapes.

I am now unsure whether to get a cokin system or some screw in filters? What do the good people of tp recommend?

I am currently using a d7000 with tok 11-16, Nikon 35mm 1.8 and Nikon 60mm macro.

Gary, many thanks for the feedback, I will look into the lee system. Am I correct that I will just need adapters to mount this system on my different lens?

I got a Heliopan slim CPL and a B&W 10 stopper to use with my Sigma 10-20mm very pleased with them and no problems so far.

Another vote for Lee. You will need the holder plus adapter rings for different lenses.

Heather

If Lee is out of range (price) can anyone recommend an alternative?

Thanks

Longimanus said:
Gary, many thanks for the feedback, I will look into the lee system. Am I correct that I will just need adapters to mount this system on my different lens?

Yes but you'll also need a Filter holder / Lee Foundation kit depending on what system tou settle in. To shoot at 11mm you'll need a wide angle adapter ring ( is the Tokina 82mm ? I forget..) then you'll need 100mm filters which is Lee / Cokin Z. The Cokin P takes 82/85mm filters and as they're smaller, they're considerably cheaper than the 100mm versions.

EDIT - sorry, didn't see that Heather had already replied to the same effect.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback

The tokina is 77mm.

I was looking at the lee filters, quite pricey, but I suppose you get what you pay for. So if I were to go with cokin, go for the z series, not the p?

If Lee is out of range (price) can anyone recommend an alternative?

Thanks

Lee are expensive, but they're the best. Hitech are an affordable alternative, and are decent quality. Cokin are cheaper again, and better than some people make out - you'll certainly produce decent pics with a bit of care.

Cokin A and Hitech 67mm filters are interchangeable.
Cokin P and Hitech 85mm filters are interchangeable.
Cokin Z, Hitech 100mm and Lee filters are interchangeable.
Lee RF-75 aren't interchangeable with anything, but I love them!

Pick the best you can afford. I'd recommend Cokin P or Hitech 85mm to start with if you're unsure.

I'd definitely invest in one of the above - all you'll need afterwards are adapters for your different lenses.

Never tried Lee filters but I started using Cokin P probably about 20 years ago and it has never disappointed, good value and pretty much future-proof.

Older Cokin NDs had a quite pronounced colour cast (magenta IIRC) but I believe newer ones suffer less from this problem.

Personally, I use screw in filters as far as CPs go and rarely use any others (apart from protection filters when there's a lot of airborne debris around - dust, mud or water). Many filter effects can be replicated in PP (should you want them and enjoy PP work) but polarization can only really be done with a filter. Screw ins also mean you can use the lens's hood, although the hood can make adjusting the pol a little awkward - I tend to do the pol adjustment before refitting the hood.

Not a great fan of daylit long exposures, so NDs are wasted on me - if I want to play the milky water game, I'll plan to be there at dusk and use a pol if necessary to get a long enough exposure.

Cheers for this info, appreciated.

Do you think the 85mm version will be ok for my tokina 11-16 though? Or should I go for the 100mm version?

Lee are expensive, but they're the best. Hitech are an affordable alternative, and are decent quality. Cokin are cheaper again, and better than some people make out - you'll certainly produce decent pics with a bit of care.

Cokin A and Hitech 67mm filters are interchangeable.
Cokin P and Hitech 85mm filters are interchangeable.
Cokin Z, Hitech 100mm and Lee filters are interchangeable.
Lee RF-75 aren't interchangeable with anything, but I love them!

Pick the best you can afford. I'd recommend Cokin P or Hitech 85mm to start with if you're unsure.

I'd definitely invest in one of the above - all you'll need afterwards are adapters for your different lenses.

Mark

Thanks for this, the CPL info I researched is why I have had a look at the Cokin/Lee filters, I am still a bit unsure what to do about a polariser if I go with the 100mm filters

You'll want 100mm for an ultrawide like that.

I'd be very wary of using a CPL on a lens as wide as that, the field of view is so great that different areas of the shot get differing amounts of polarisation which gives you unpleasant effects.

You'll want 100mm for an ultrawide like that.

I'd be very wary of using a CPL on a lens as wide as that, the field of view is so great that different areas of the shot get differing amounts of polarisation which gives you unpleasant effects.

It can give you unpleasant effects, if you don't properly understand how a CPL works and when it won't. The basic thing to remember is that having the sun directly behind, in front of, or above you is OK. Having the sun low in the sky to your right or left is likely to cause problems. Using a CPL to reduce reflections will work regardless of the focal length.

I'v got a Lee system aswell but personally I think the usefulness of screw in grads is understated.

Not being able to move the graduation makes them less useful for more extreme work(sunrise/sunsets for example I use my Lee system) but for general daytime UWA shooting I find my Tiffen 2 stop grad very useful. Shooting UWA I personally find my horizons are around 3/5ths of the way up the frame pretty often which matches the graduation very well.

As with a camera/lens I'd say theres an arguement to be made that the best one is the one you have with you and having a screw in in your pocket is alot easier than a big filter system.

Last edited:
Cheers for all the info, some wise words here

I think I am gonna go for a nd grad and nd to start with, not sure which make at present though, probably a cokin one to start with

If your going with the smaller 65mm Cokin's I'd look at getting the one slot wideangle holder rather than the more common 3 slot one for use at 11mm.

If your going with the smaller 65mm Cokin's I'd look at getting the one slot wideangle holder rather than the more common 3 slot one for use at 11mm.

As the Tokina lens is 77mm I suspect the small cokins are right out!

....but you are spot on with needing the W/A holder....

Heather

You'll need the WA holder with the 85mm filters and even then may get some vignetting at 11-12mm. If you're keen only to buy once, it may be worth considering the 100mm filters. I bought the 85mm ones and wish I'd spent a bit more!

I am looking at the 100mm holder due to the tokina, there seem to be various options with regards to filters as well

As the Tokina lens is 77mm I suspect the small cokins are right out!

....but you are spot on with needing the W/A holder....

Heather

I'v heard differing opinions here, some claiming the 1 slot holder doesnt have a problem even at 10mm others that it does below about 12mm. Thats on a Canon 10-22mm which also has a 77mm thread but I spose the position of the thread relative to the lens will be a big factor aswell.

Personally I would agree that its better to buy quality and buy once although I spose how much that costs depends somewhat on how many filters your looking at buying. As I said my expereince was that one advanatge of going for 100mm filters is that a wideangle adaptor ring that costs alot more wasnt needed(again on a canon 10-22mm) so you could save a bit there.

Last edited:
Back