Gert Jan

Name
Robert Hofstra
Edit My Images
No
Pictures are a few years old,but i want to share these pictures and story with you.
During one of my visits to Oosterbeek war cemetery,i met a Scoutfriend with his troop.While his Cubs walked the cemetery,he held hands with what apeared a autistic boy. He introduced him to me as Gert Jan.
We start talking,and Gert Jan let go of his hand,and walked away while the leader held a close eye to him.
At a given moment we missed him (most boys wear green,so sometimes it takes a moment to find the right green kid),but in a second we found him sitting at one of the graves.We both had the idea.."what is he doing???".It looked like he was talking!. I took my camera, came a bit closer,and made a few shots.We could not hear all what he was saying,but we hear him say his name,and where he lives while he toughes the stone and sort of stroked it.
We both feeled the hairs on our neck and arms rais. When his leader called his name,'HE Gert Jan!!' he sort of woke up.Once back,he asked 'what were you doing?' he replied 'Oh just things'
A special Kid!.
_DSC5596_zps27b5a7c7.jpg

_DSC5602_zps35483345.jpg

Last edited:
Very thought provoking.
I like No1 for the composition and his face.
I think No2 is just sheer brilliance, bearing in mind your story and wondering what he is thinking.
For me, by far, one of the simplest, yet moving images.

Concerning the autistic boy and his actions, a quote from Hamlet.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Concerning the autistic boy and his actions, a quote from Hamlet.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
:plus1:

Back