Beginner Getting creative

Name
Jessica
Edit My Images
Yes
IMG_0662.JPG In addition to being completely new to photography I am also completely new to editing software and so I have a few questions.

I really enjoy the magical type photos created and images being turned into digital art. I created the image above yesterday evening in photoshop mix (for iPad) (feel free to give cc if anyone has experience in creating these types of images)

My questions are; does anyone know if you can turn images into digital art on any websites or apps compatible with the iPad? Doesn't seem possible in photoshop apps available for iPad.

Also looking at laptops what are the best ones for photoshop ect without a hefty price tag

Last edited:
I have seen some Mac books on groupon for a reasonable price older ones I think, but the RAM is only 2GB am I right in thinking I need a higher RAM to run photoshop smoothly on? Definitely don't have the money for a pro 15

I use Adobe CC Creative Cloud (a monthly subscription with student discount) on an Apple Macbook Pro 15. Not the cheapest option, but one I'd highly recommend. I can't deal with Windows computers anymore!
Adobe CC has all the creative programs you need, also you would be learning to use the industry standard.

http://www.adobe.com/uk/creativecloud.html?mv=search&s_kwcid=AL!3085!3!88914538130!b!!g!!cloud adobe&ef_id=VhGYxAAABH3h9iOU:20161014152309:s

I have seen some Mac books on groupon for a reasonable price older ones I think, but the RAM is only 2GB am I right in thinking I need a higher RAM to run photoshop smoothly on? Definitely don't have the money for a pro 15

Being honest, assuming you're willing to put a little leg work in for the same money you'd get a higher specs'd PC.

A Macbook that came with 2GB of RAM as standard is going to be painful to use photoshop & Lightroom with (I have one - it's painful to use even when upgraded to 8GB). As Hugh said, you'll get a much more powerful PC for similar money, and windows is no more hassle than OSX. Image processing like this benefits from a powerful processor (i.e. quad core Intel i5) and 8GB RAM is good as standard, although it's certainly possible to work with 4GB.

About the image, you had a good idea. It will help to learn to mask in layers so that you don't have parts of the image showing through other parts.

Last edited:
A Macbook that came with 2GB of RAM as standard is going to be painful to use photoshop & Lightroom with (I have one - it's painful to use even when upgraded to 8GB). As Hugh said, you'll get a much more powerful PC for similar money, and windows is no more hassle than OSX. Image processing like this benefits from a powerful processor (i.e. quad core Intel i5) and 8GB RAM is good as standard, although it's certainly possible to work with 4GB.

About the image, you had a good idea. It will help to learn to mask in layers so that you don't have parts of the image showing through other parts.

Thank you! Defiantly going for more of a pic rather than a MacBook for now I think. Would an intel i3 be okay or aim for the i5

On the image do you mean the mountains showing through the horse? I increased the opacity for that effect (the horse passed away recently which was my reason for doing that as I feel it gave more of the 'magical feeling'?

Definitely better to go for an i5 and quad core (be aware some i5 chips were dual core). There's a PC for sale in the classifieds right now, although it's collection only, so may not be local enough.

About the semi-see through horse, I wasn't sure because the image was obviously assembled, rather than being 'lifelike'.

Back