Getting emotional over photos

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
Just had a nice morning browsing some of my photos from 2007, and they gave me a lovely happy feeling as I remembered the moment so well. I was very busy doing various things back in 2007, and I was pleased I had captured some of the memories. I used a poxy little Canon powershot A40 that used AA-size batteries and was a measly 2.0 megapixels. What was I thinking, I had the image setting to the very lowest, obviously due to the small storage space on the Compact Flash cards I had. But I was pleasantly surprised at just how good quality the photos are, all things considered.

Nice to dig out those older photos to re kindle happy memories, got nothing done this morning, but I am happy :)

I have a load of photos/slides taken by my granddad and great uncle I want to go through. Planning to scan any ones that really speak to me

I can dig that!
These pictures are witnesses of fixed moments in ones life and they
hold more details than the brain dare to remember!

Getting emotional over photos?
…they just do what they were created for!

I can dig that!
These pictures are witnesses of fixed moments in ones life and they
hold more details than the brain dare to remember!

Getting emotional over photos?
…they just do what they were created for!

Did not realise I was having so much fun at the time, but thinking back I really was. Nice to know I have a record of the events :)

you have hit on the joy for me in photography, being able to look back on photos especially of my kids and grand kids, and holidays with the misses,:)
Memories, for your self or for others.......
They are the photographs that really matter to me. Not the 'scapes, birds, floweres etc.

Wished I had of started taking family and friends photos sooner :)

For me this is why I take photos. It's great being able to look back at past events or pictures of the family when we were all much younger. Even more so the ones with my Nan who passed away recently.

Some photos I took, I wish I had not of taken them wide open. Some family in background de focused out..

I took a lot of photo's during the mines strike in (gulp) '84. Some very emotional pictures indeed. What I managed to save from the Police disposal team (each one of 'em) were great memories. Kids..... forget your landscape photography and snap (yes snap) your kids..... because they grow up too quickly and then it's too late. You will never get another opertunaty. Or have I missed the poimt? LOL

Last edited:
One of the downsides to this digital age is that there are fewer and fewer boxes of family pictures being put on top of the wardrobe/in the attic/or wherever to be forgotten about and discovered sometime in the future.
Instead the huge majority of images stay on the memory card/hard drive/phone, never to be printed, or indeed lost totally when the hardware dies.
That makes me quite sad.
I've had many hours looking through boxes and boxes of old prints from my childhood which we found in my parent's spare room.

Some of mine or good and some bad. The ones of my kids always makes me very emotional. I yearn for those years back whilst they were growing up. Its not happy feeling i get from those pics. But Some ;landscape shots and moments in time really fill me with happiness.

I was looking through my picture archive the other day as well.

The ones of my daughter made me both laugh and cry, special moments that will always be locked in my heart

One of the downsides to this digital age is that there are fewer and fewer boxes of family pictures being put on top of the wardrobe/in the attic/or wherever to be forgotten about and discovered sometime in the future.
Instead the huge majority of images stay on the memory card/hard drive/phone, never to be printed, or indeed lost totally when the hardware dies.

That makes me quite sad.

I have fallen foul of this and it's the worst feeling. All in I lost all images ranging from the late 90s through to 2010 or so, over a decade of memories gone in an instant.

To this day I kick myself at not printing them or at least managing them better (backing up etc).

FFWD to 2015 and my son is now 10 months old and this is his first Christmas. Sure I'm glad to be getting a new camera on Friday, but the first thing I'll be doing is strapping on the 35mm and taking snaps (yes, snaps) of him and the rest of the family before getting them printed into an album. Who knows, I may do one summarising each year of his life as a kind of '52' but only the one subject.

We all love taking photographs, but the real joy and I guess why we do it, is to illicit that emotive response whwn looking at them again ourselves and showing them to others.

I can see a lot of my hard earned going on printing in the coming years but you know what, it's gonna be worth every penny.

My Mother-in-law (sadly lost last year) embraced the digital age and she could really teach us all a thing or two.... Everywhere we went she had her camera and was always snapping away, be it a Sunday meal or a night doo. She had prints made and has or had box's of photos going back through her life.... What a pleasure to see and look back!

That makes me quite sad.
I've had many hours looking through boxes and boxes of old prints from my childhood which we found in my parent's spare room.
Every so often my wife randomly sends a load to photobox for printing, so we still have boxes of memories

Next year I plan on taking more family photos, when we do finally move house I will get some printed and hung up :)

For our first wee boy who was 2 in September past, we took one photo every day for his first year from the hour he map born right up to him holding his first birthday cake. A lot of them were just snaps with a phone but they are nice to look back on. At the end of the year we got a photo book printed with around 80 of our favourite shots in it so hopefully we will always have this and can give it to him at some stage. Our second boy was born in May past so we are 7 months into the same project for him too.
I did take a big shoe box from my mum's recently and scanned loads of them so I now have pictures of myself and my brother and sister as babies and growing up and some lovely ones of my parents wedding day and also Me and my Granny who is no longer with us. I must get round to printing some of these too.

Interesting topic. Ive just acquired loads of slides of me (and environs) in Spain, in 1965, yet somehow I just feel like chucking them all in the bin. Tho I guess the sensible thing to do would be to scan them and give them to my kids, but they would have no relevance to them. I guess Im not one to dwell on the distant past.

Every day I look at photos I took in my 5 years in Spain and it fills me with both happiness and sadness. Happiness that I had the good fortune to learn and love such a wonderful culturally-rich country, and sadness that I am no longer there.

Every day I look at photos I took in my 5 years in Spain and it fills me with both happiness and sadness. Happiness that I had the good fortune to learn and love such a wonderful culturally-rich country, and sadness that I am no longer there.
It is good you have some emotion attached to your photos, I have some old video clips saved along with my photos :)

Back