Getting people in focus when using a flash

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I have the Canon Speedlite 430EX II Flash Unit as I take quite a lot of photos indoors as I have twin girls who I love taking photos of!! However, I really struggle to take photos with both of them in focus indoors. Am I doing something fundamentally wrong?! I'm not much of an expert on photography but I do understand apertures and shutter speeds and can use the Tv and Av modes ok but I just can't get to grips with flash photography.

Does anyone have any tips etc.?!

Thanks.

Got any examples?

If you're shooting with a large aperture i.e. f/2.8 then your depth of field is small if they're not in line with each other across the focal plane.
Also as you're using flash it could be dark and the camera is struggling to focus, is the assist focus beam on the flash activated?
And if you're at a slow shutter speed to bring in the ambient it could be camera shake rather than out of focus.

Sorry to sound stupid but what's the assist focus beam? I don't know much about how the flash works so I'd probably benefit from reading more about it as I just can't get to grips with it. I find it better for me to use my point and shoot Canon IXUS camera if I'm indoors which isn't great when I've got a nice DSLR and a separate flash!!

Sorry to sound stupid but what's the assist focus beam?

If it's too dark the autofocus doesn't have enough contrast to focus. The focus assist beam is a red light that's emitted from the 430EXII when the camera is in one shot focusing mode. It lights the target with a red light and helps increase the contrast which in turn helps the auto focus work.

If you are using Av / Tv in Doors the camera will be exposing for the Amibient Light.
While using Av/Tv in doors you must ensure your shutter speed is fast enough to 'Freeze' the image.

You can Open up the Aperture or up the ISO to Gain the required Shutter speed... (Or open the curtains)

The Flash will then be used as Fill in these modes....

Alternatively, switch over to Manual, set a reasonably shutter speed 1/125 or faster.(Some may say faster depending on ability of photographer and size of Lens). Set aperture (Start at F8) to suite and Fire away..... Flash will be main source of light....

Start your ISO @ 200 (You may wish to amend this incorporating changes to the above settings)

Thats a bit quick and there are probably a few other bits you could do ... but thats the main.

Last edited:
This is going to be difficult to answer without some background info...

- Kit you were using at the time?
- rough distance to subject for the shot(s) or space available (room, outside, hall etc.)
-light, what kind of lighting was available to you, we know flash but anything else?
- Suppose then we need to think about the kind of shot you want to create, one with movement ,maintain ambient light, etc.

Dan

Post an image so we can see if it's subject movement blur or a genuine focus issue :)

I personally never ever trust the camera to do the job by using Tv or Av modes with flash, it either sets an aperture / shutter combination thats unsuitable for what I'm shooting or it over lights the image.

Manual mode on the camera and ettl will often get it somewhere near as long as the subject isn't moving too much or there's reflective items in the background.

manual on the camera and flash will allow you to get exactly what you want from the shot at the expense of more time fiddling with settings instead of shooting.

Firstly dig around in the custom function menu (it'll probably be under CFnIII) and turn on focus assist infra red; with out knowing the camera model I can't say which number it is, but Google will know.

Then make sure that the camera is set to AF One Shot- focus assist won't work in AI Servo or Focus.

My default for flash foreground only is 1/160th, f6.3 and ISO 100 with manual flash setting, but it'll work with ETTL just as well.

Basically, if the camera bdoesnt have enough light, it won't focus- hence needing the focus assist mode.

if you understand apertures and shutter speeds why aren't you shooting in manual?
if your putting it in those modes it sounds like the camera is compensating way too much with the shutter being slow or your DOF is off.

Back