Gift of nikon v1

Name
paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, after working for twenty five years for a firm we get the chance to choose a gift from a book. One of these gifts is a nikon v1. I currently have a nikon 3100. How does this compare and do I need this new camera? Kind of shy away from pocket cameras but it would be nice to have something I easy carry. Does anybody have any advise or has this camera. There is another, a lumix but there is no information about model but it would be around the £250 price mark as I'm allowed two silver gifts or one large gold gift. The lumix and nikon are both in the silver range. Any help would be appreciated.

From all of the reviews ive ever read, they were all pretty favourable IIRC. Solid build, great image quality and obviously much easier to carry around with you than a DSLR.

Ive never used one myself, but then ive never really felt the need. If I had some disposable income to spend on a walk about/compact camera, I would consider one of these definitely.

probably not the in depth review with pros and cons that you were looking for, but if you can get one for nothing.... ;)

Oh, and by the way, there is an 'owners thread' for this camera in this very section of the forum :)

Sorry the nikon is v1 j2
It can't be both as the V1 & J2 are different models within the Nikon 1 range so check which it is. The V1 has an electronic viewfinder but the J2 just has the rear screen. They're both going to be quite bulky with the standard 10-30mm lens and won't take your existing lenses without a £200 adapter. Access to the controls is limited even compared with the D3100. They're also now superceded by later models.

One good thing : we almost never hear anything bad about any model in that Nikon-1 series, go for it!
Whether its a V1 or a J2 ... should be fun. Very good focus and fast.

Sorry Jonathan my mistake. I'm swayed by the lumix just because it's different make more than anything and a friend has one which felt good in my hands. Just wish I could find out what model it is as the book we've been given doesn't state and the picture isn't conclusive. It's annoying as my friend I work with got he thought was a laptop but when he received it it was actually a NetBook. Mine you can't complain as the company are treating us for our long service.

Is it worth asking someone which model it is? It could be that they're offering either, in which case I would go for the V1 rather than the J1 because the V1 has an electronic view finder as well as the rear screen while the J1 only has the rear screen. There again, the J1 has a built in flash which is missing from the V1...

Take both and sell the one you don't wish to keep. I have the J2 and it's a fun little camera that takes surprisingly good photos, IQ is much above any point and shoot and the AF is blazingly fast, makes my dslr's look a bit slow. The not so good, a weak flash although you could use a cheap off cam slave, no PSAM dial (have to menu dive bu you can set your fave mode and leave it... I usually leave it on A), not a great selection of lens unless you buy the adapter and have a good selection of nikon lens, and no one yet knows how much Nikon will support the system.

Back