gimbal advice please

Name
Al
Edit My Images
No
I am to be the proud owner of a 300mm 2.8 non IS very soon, I cant wait infact.
Im faced with a problem though.... I need to support the beastie and I dont think my head is going to cope. I currently have use Velbon tripods and heads. I am confident im covered with a good tripod as its a carbon fibre one and is nice stable, the head however im not so confident in (PH157Q).
So im guessing I should be looking for a gimbal?
specifically a budget gimbal! any advice welcome. anyone used a Manfrotto 393?

Last edited:
I just got one of the Indian made gimbals and I have used it with my 500mm f4 IS with no issues. Before getting it I read various reviews on the net which said that its good espetialy as its very cheap.
You can find them on eBay.

I've got the Manfrotto 393 and don't have any problems with it.

Di

I just got one of the Indian made gimbals and I have used it with my 500mm f4 IS with no issues. Before getting it I read various reviews on the net which said that its good espetialy as its very cheap.
You can find them on eBay.
is it this one per chance looks ok from what I can tell! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gimbal-Head-Ball-fr-200mm-400mm-600mm-800mm-Free-Plate-/140502671670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b69ca136
must admit I did see them but was a little put off by the location!

I've got the Manfrotto 393 and don't have any problems with it.

Di
I am seriously looking at this given the reviews on WEX and the price would have to find somewhere stocking them though
I have tried most, and have to agree, I use the Black Widow Lightweight MK2 with up to a 500mm f4, very good and offers the most elevation before anything hits the mount.
this would be over the top of my budget tbh

is it this one per chance looks ok from what I can tell! http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gimbal-Head-Ball-fr-200mm-400mm-600mm-800mm-Free-Plate-/140502671670?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b69ca136
must admit I did see them but was a little put off by the location!

I used this one from the same people.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mini-Gimbal-H...247?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b4eec0af

Both get good reviews when I was looking. The one you show was my first choice but I ended up after reading the reviews with the link above.

I also use the Benro GH-2 with a 300 2.8 and it is great, perfect balance and smooth. It is a RRS clone, it looks identical.

I have bought several Benro tripods and heads including the GH-2 from DC-stuffs on Ebay, very good service and reasonable prices.

I am seriously looking at this given the reviews on WEX and the price would have to find somewhere stocking them though

this would be over the top of my budget tbh

Haven't looked at the price of them recently but I was very lucky to pick mine up 2nd hand for about £60 still looking like new :woot:

the Benro's look nice can anyone point me in the direction of a UK stockist cant seam to find one on google?
Haven't looked at the price of them recently but I was very lucky to pick mine up 2nd hand for about £60 still looking like new :woot:
I would without doubt buy the manfrotto if I could find one used for that money! there is one used one on ebay at the moment and the buy it now price is £150!

One of the ones I bought on advice from here was a Benro GH 1, I would not pay washers for another, has to be the biggest waste of my money ever.

How anyone can compare the quality to the top makes baffles me.

If you are also considering buying a decent ball-head you may want to consider a Wimberley Sidekick. I find having the two gives me more flexibility.

The sidekick easily supports and balances my 1D with a 100-400 and I have the availability of the ball-head when not using a long lens.

The sidekick is also easier to pack in a bag.

If you are also considering buying a decent ball-head you may want to consider a Wimberley Sidekick. I find having the two gives me more flexibility.

The sidekick easily supports and balances my 1D with a 100-400 and I have the availability of the ball-head when not using a long lens.

The sidekick is also easier to pack in a bag.
I must confess I hadnt thought of that route, what sort of money would I need to spend on a resonable ball head?

One of the ones I bought on advice from here was a Benro GH 1, I would not pay washers for another, has to be the biggest waste of my money ever.

How anyone can compare the quality to the top makes baffles me.
cheers martyn will avoid, so one slightly used GH 1 for sale soon? :LOL:

I had hoped to pick up something second hand but i dont recall anything coming up on the for sale section recently and ebay is quiet at the moment as well, I'll keep my eyes peeled.
If im looking at new from the collective feedback its
-£100 ebay indian mini
£100-£200 Manfrotto 393 if i can find one
£200-£300 Benro GH2 from Hong Kong
£300-£400 Black Widow LW or Sidekick and Ball head WEX?
£400+ ive not got a chance as my pockets arent that deep

Lens arrives today so I guess it'll be stuck ontop my monopod without a head for a while

I must confess I hadnt thought of that route, what sort of money would I need to spend on a resonable ball head?

something like this perhaps:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-benbo-306-professional-ball-and-socket-head/p10811

together with this:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-kirk-2in-quick-release-clamp/p1010354

would give you the basis for a good (IMHO) setup.

then add this :
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy...nd-Panoramic-Heads-_-Wimberley-Sidekick_15129

which if all bought new would cost about £383.

I managed to source my stuff mostly second hand on this forum so it worked out cheaper.

This head is slightly cheaper but with lower load specs:
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-manfrotto-498-midi-ball-head/p1518556

Last edited:
Manfrotto 393 for me too....300 2.8 and 500 f4..

The 300mm 2.8L can be set up so that it see -saws perfectly balanced on the Manfrotto 393 with no torque applied at all on the side knobs.- they're pretty much a perfect combination in that respect.

I'll probably get rid of the 393 at some stage, but it has nothing to do with the quality or functionality of it - simply that it uses a non standard Arca style plate which isn't compatible with the rest of my arca plates and heads.

It's a little bulky and heavy but still represents great value for money compared to the alternatives.

given the recent spurt of 393 fans I think i'll go with it, going to look for a second hand one for a week or two. if im not able to find one I'll buy new.
thanks for the advice guys and gals.

I use a 300/2.8 with a blackwidow HD MkII and find it superb for a lens of this size. The advantage of getting the HD version is that you can easily turn it into the LD and visa versa - you have two heads in one. A lightweight sidekick or a heavier duty full gimbal. I prefer the full gimbal set-up as I find it easier to mount/dismount the lens.

Last edited:
I use a 300/2.8 with a blackwidow HD MkII and find it superb for a lens of this size. The advantage of getting the HD version is that you can easily turn it into the LD and visa versa - you have two heads in one. A lightweight sidekick or a heavier duty full gimbal. I prefer the full gimbal set-up as I find it easier to mount.
Cheers Roy, that combination does sound like a really good set up. given a fatter wallet I would undoutably go for it. Its the price difference between the ball/sidekick and 393 and the fact that I tend to either go out shooting wildlife or landscapes. I rarely carry both sets of lenses. I can stick to the velbon head or 393 when I go out.
If I see a smiliar used arangement for sale below £200 mark ill jump at the chance but thats unlikley i :thinking:

Ive been looking at these as well on ebay, basically copies of wimberley sidekicks but a fair bit cheaper. I want another gimbal head but like the idea of these being convertible.

Would the 393 be OK for the 400 F2.8 IS? I have the 300 2.8 which looks like its fine on the 393 but need something to fit both.

Would the 393 be OK for the 400 F2.8 IS? I have the 300 2.8 which looks like its fine on the 393 but need something to fit both.

It will be fine. You'll struggle to find any lens too heavy for the 393 - it's a substantial head. The only thing is that whereas you can balance the 300 2.8 perfectly on the 393 without any torque at all applied on the side knobs, you'll find a you need al ittle torque applied to stop the 400 2.8 tipping when it isn't perfectly horizontal and you let go of the lens. That's exactly the same situation when I use the 500mm f/4 on the 393, but it's no problem in pratice and with a small amount of torque applied you can still tilt the combo quite a way forward or backwards on the vertical axis and still remove your hands with no danger of tipping.

I was told recently that Calumet do a gimbal equal in quality to a Wimberly but a lot less expensive. There is another called a Lensmaster for less than £140. That looks interesting.

thanks Malc1 I ended up picking up a second hand 393 and two plates for £80 from the used section on here. very pleased with it in every respect, would recomend anyone with the same priorities as me.

Back