gimbal head

It really depends on the length and weight of your lens, and the action/inaction you're trying to capture - you can't really say head 'x' is good for wildlife. Have a search though this bit of the forum for discussions various on which heads themselves receive praise (Manfrotto MN393, for example)

To be honest, there's not really a massive difference in the (proper) gimbal heads I've tried (Jobu, Wimberley and Indian Ebay knock-off). The Ebay one was noticeably more sticky - but not by a huge amount. I'm not sure I could tell the difference between the Jobu and Wimberley if I were blindfold. All of them are good for wildlife.

Is a gimbal head just a ball head? Bit of a newbie question but the only time i've heard the word 'gimbal' before is in relation to the SSMEs :)

Is a gimbal head just a ball head? Bit of a newbie question but the only time i've heard the word 'gimbal' before is in relation to the SSMEs :)

Nope, it's a head designed for long lenses so they can be balanced when not tightened up. A good one allows for full and free movement of the lens but when you let go the lens remains approx where you left it.

The lensmaster link above shows the concept.

Nope, it's a head designed for long lenses so they can be balanced when not tightened up. A good one allows for full and free movement of the lens but when you let go the lens remains approx where you left it.

The lensmaster link above shows the concept.

Okay, thanks. In which case the best one's money can buy are made by Rocketdyne ;)

I use the Manfrotto 393 with a D3 and 500mm f/4 - once you have balanced it the whole set-up is a doddle to move around quickly. It feels almost weightless to be honest. Not as pretty as the Wimberley but a whole lot cheaper and in my view works just as well.

I've a lensmaster too and am well pleased. I use it with a 500mm f4 +1.4 extender and it easily copes with that.

When I got my 500 I decided to go the whole hog and bought the full Wimberley. I decided that having spent so much on the lens I wasn't going to buy a cheap alternative.

Decision had paid off. It is superb for what it designed for and a pleasure to use

Neil

Back