Critique Glencoe on saturday

Superb.

Definitely on my "to go" list

Thank you.

Absolutely beautiful set.

oh! Clap hands from me. Masterfully composed and managed, brilliant AND with soft transitions. All really excellent for my taste, but 2 then 3 and then 1.
All the best!
Sandro

No. 1 for me.
I know the light is spectacular in 3, and less is more etc., but I find No.1 gives me the sense of being there, the others don't.

Fantastic set especially #3, a very well known location but you've captured it very well. #2 is very wonky though.

Fantastic set especially #3, a very well known location but you've captured it very well. #2 is very wonky though.

I was starting to wonder if I was the only one for whom this was a problem, and whether tilting horizons had suddenly become desirable in landscape. ;)

... the p***ed horizon in 2 kills it for me.
.but the terrain between the burn and the hill slopes away to the right...:naughty:

BTW it is a very good set, with No 3 my favourite- great light & depth of colour, very pleasing composition, very good image altogether IMO.

Last edited:
I've seen quite a few 'slanty' images from that area in my time but it's mostly the lie of the land. I've quite often thought my own images from the area are slanty but The Buachaille itself seems to slant to the right. I've often corrected for it in PP myself, even after getting all things level in camera.

Nice set of images Sir, with #1 being my fav'.(y)

George.

...but the terrain between the burn and the hill slopes away to the right...:naughty:

BTW it is a very good set, with No 3 my favourite- great light & depth of colour, very pleasing composition, very good image altogether IMO.

I've never been there, probably never will, so can only judge the image as presented. It's a lovely photograph, but there are no visual cues in the image that the camera is actually horizontal.

Last edited:
Agree with the above. If I focus really hard on the mountain in the background I can start to see how it could be a hill, but my initial look at it screams sloping horizon - even if that isn't the case. Maybe it's the flat light that isn't helping to give any cues in the shadows.

It's still a lovely shot.

All great Nick and you were blessed with the weather - let's hope it's like that in March when the TP Massive hit Glencoe :D

Thanks everybody, really appreciate the comments :)

RE the sloping horizon .... that's how the land lies so to "correct" it although maybe makes it appear more visually appealing would mean it wasn't a proper representation of the scene :)

I appreciate what you're saying though.

The tree points up and the water is going down

The more I look, the more I like it.

Stunning! If I had to choose a favourite the last one swings it. Great photography.

Nice varied series. Wish I had gone up but my motor was kapput.

You want to go back and retake the 1st shot at dawn and sunrise.

My only crit is one is a pano, and you can tell by the U or V shape in it as the foreground has that shape and the road is straight, not bendy.

My advice would be to take it on a single frame to avoid the distortion.

Last edited:
Nick, please stop posting these, it just makes me want to come on another of your workshops :)
Number 3 is a cracker

Cracking stuff Nick, No 3 is a fantastic shot, but No 2 is a belter the fall in the foreground is cracking, a great angle i've not seen before!(y)
Great Work!

These are really good, no critique to give. The angle of the hillside in the second does not bother me, and the third is beautiful.

A great set. Difficult to criticize these.
No 3, although one of the most photographed scenes in Scotland (I'm surprised the local council aren't thinking of installing parking meters along that road) has to be my favourite, in fact it's probably one of the best I've seen.

Back