go pro for sports stills

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
Anyone tried a "go pro" for behind the goals footage and take still from the video? If so how do they fair.. any examples blah blah

ta :)

PS Just to save some time.. Not all football is played at pro level :)

Treat it like a normal remote; ie set it to high fps stills capture and use a remote.

Not used one myself but I've seen them used pretty successfully in racing.

I've used one shooting hockey many times, unfortunately when taking stills from a video the quality is not as good as using the photo mode on the gopro. However the latest gopro hero 4 allows you to shoot video and photos simultaneously but it will only capture a photo every 5 seconds which is not ideal if you're trying to catch goalmouth action.

I personally use the 'continuous photo' mode along with the gopro's wireless remote and whenever there is some action in front of goal I hit the shutter button. GoPro's continuous photo mode will capture a photo every 0.5 seconds until you press the shutter again. I believe the .jpg's are 8 or 12 megapixels and once they are cropped they aren't the greatest to be perfectly honest, GoPro's in low light for sports action is pretty much useless too. A better option will always be to use a dslr as the bigger sensor will benefit you more.

I have also added an example of one of my images which got used in the telegraph last year.

I hope this was helpful :)

5.jpg

Yeagh a dslr is always going to be better... got my tripod bent and my camera face down at deepdale (preston north end) last time i used it :( Was thinking a gopro for other reasons and wondered if it would also double up as a good behind the goals.. but am thinking not now ... oh hum

Cheers Josh yes helpful thanks :)

I use a Gopro behind the goals and use the video if i catch any goals . I have taken this 10 x 8 crop from a snapshot, as you can see the quality is real poor.gopro.jpg

Back