Going to Skye - What not to miss?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
I will be going up to Skye in a few weeks time and will spend as much time as I can with the cameras. Short of climbing a mountain, what are the 'not to be missed' photo-opportunities to be found whilst I am there?

Hopefully I will be able to take a boat to catch the eagles.

If driving, make sure you get Eilean Donan castle.

Not far before you come to the Skye bridge.

Elgol, Old Man of Storr/Trotternish, Cuillins from the old bridge by the Sligachan Hotel, Neist Point.

If you are driving best approach is stop off by Eilean Donan as mentioned then also take the wee road up over to Glenelg and there is a spectacular viewpoint looking back towards Kintail and the Five Sisters.

"Passing the Five Sisters you arrive at Shiel Bridge at the head of Loch Duich, here a minor road on your left takes you over the Mam Ratagan Pass to Glenelg. Many years ago this was quite a scary road, twisting and turning as it did and reaching a height of a thousand feet or so. Today the road attains the same height, but is wider and less twisty. Roughly halfway up, an area has been dug into the side of the hill where you can stop and admire the magnificent view and look down on Loch Duich and across to the Five Sisters. Take a picnic, as the panorama will have you glued to the heather.The scene laid out before you, must rank as one of the best views which can be enjoyed from the comfort of a car, in all of Scotland. " From: http://www.dwrobertson-photography.com/gal_five_sisters_kintail.asp

You can also get to Skye that way - going to Glenelg and via the Glenelg ferry - still the nicest way to get there imho, although the bridge is quicker and easier.

Good suggestions and thanks for the links ... anymore :)

http://www.skyeboat-trips.co.uk/

Keep an eye out for aurora forecasts because with high activity and clear sky you could get to see the northern lights in October.

The Glenelg ferry mentioned above stops in mid october so be aware of that.

Eilean Donan castle is best shot at sunset if possible and/or after the lights are switched on. On a dreary wet day it doesnt look very photogenic ;)

Quiraing for sunrise...not to be missed when conditions allow (y)

There have been a few 'what to photograph on Skye' threads so I'll just swipe what I'd said previously......

If you're up for climbing hills or 'walking in' to locations I'd give you a different list of suggestions but:

As far as 'landscapes' go - things don't change too much so I'll say what I've previously said...

Loch Cill Chroisd AKA The Hairy Loch
Elgol (Cuillin Views)
Ord (Cuillin Views)
Tokavaig (Cuillin Views)
Loch Slapin nr Torrin (Bla Bheinn Views)
Claigan Coral Beaches
The Quirang
The Storr
Neist Point
Fairy Pools (Glen Brittle)
Camasunary (walk over)

Like much of the Highlands - Skye can take longer to get around than you may think so whilst there's loads of amazing locations - you can soon find yourself dashing around like a headless chicken getting the light and time of day all wrong.

My tip would be to take the B8083 early out of Broadford village and with the time / light in mind.....

Loch Cill Chroisd AKA The Hairy Loch - is just a few miles down the road and in addition to the loch and it's backdrop of Beinn na Caillich - there's a great wee deserted church Cill Chroisd (Christ's Church or "Kilchrist"). Too many folk whizz past on the way to Elgol so be sure to stop if your early enough to catch the lovely morning light.

If you're early enough then don't feel rushed as next is Torrin and the shores of Loch Slapin which offer great views of Bla Bheinn (Blaven) and eventually you will will reach the end of the road at Elgol offering great sea views to the Cuillin with good afternoon light or later sunsets.

There are loads more places really but the above are all well known and (if you're with family or trying to be a diplomatic photographer lol) they're quick and easy locations without undertaking an expedition or climbing hills.

Loch Coruisk is probably my favourite place. You can 'climb' Sgurr na Stri for the most amazing vista or walk in (low level) via the 'bad step'. If you don't fancy the climb or the trek you can get a short 'drop off and pick up' boat trip from Elgol.

Having said all that - I think I'd be looking for less photographed locations LOL

Very helpful, thanks a lot ... really looking forward to the visit :)

A lesser known location that can be great for sunset seascapes is Score bay, just before Duntulm castle ruins. You can park at the castle ruin and walk back down the hill (as if going toward Portree). You will see the bay with rock formations that can make fantastic foregrounds. If its a bit wild you will get crashing waves, or on a calm day shoot long exposures.

Some examples:
http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=27481399@N02&q=score%20bay

If you find a bag of Nikon gear - give me a shout LOL

Oh heck yes, that was a disaster!

What a great site, thanks :)

Back