Critique Goldfinch

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

One goldfinch, I wasn't sure how to frame this one as it was looking left but facing right, so I decided on this, Happy to hear thoughts and any Crit' as always.

1/500 - ISO 800 - f6.3 - @600mm - (EDIT to add this is a crop, forgot to say, sorry)

Thank you for looking :)

IMG_3838 by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
Is that a replacement background?

It works for me. I can't see any other crop working, TBH, save maybe a little off the top,
putting its eye on a center top 1/3rd?

I love a Goldfinch.

I'd take a fair bit off the top, as Chris mentions, get the eye as close to that top, cross third as possible. Roger has already covered the exposure, which was a little dark originally. I'd maybe try and pull the whites back a bit, the light has made the exposure difficult. You've handled it well though Gav.

I don't think, apart from the crop off the top that you will get it sitting right in the frame without it becoming unbalanced, I think you've composed it as best you can. Those ones are always difficult with a head turn like that.

It's sharp and you've nailed the background. You've kept some of the environment too and that is sharp enough as well. Would I tidy up the sprigs? On this occasion, probably not, it works as it is. (y)

Nice to see Gav, TFS.

Edit, meant to say, great eye contact.

It works for me. I can't see any other crop working, TBH, save maybe a little off the top,
putting its eye on a center top 1/3rd?
Thank you Chris, I went for body in lower third. I will have another look, thank you for the feedback :)
Position is fine for me, maybe lighten a little?

View attachment 355837
Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback and to do an edit for me, I will have another look :)
I love a Goldfinch.

I'd take a fair bit off the top, as Chris mentions, get the eye as close to that top, cross third as possible. Roger has already covered the exposure, which was a little dark originally. I'd maybe try and pull the whites back a bit, the light has made the exposure difficult. You've handled it well though Gav.

I don't think, apart from the crop off the top that you will get it sitting right in the frame without it becoming unbalanced, I think you've composed it as best you can. Those ones are always difficult with a head turn like that.

It's sharp and you've nailed the background. You've kept some of the environment too and that is sharp enough as well. Would I tidy up the sprigs? On this occasion, probably not, it works as it is. (y)

Nice to see Gav, TFS.

Edit, meant to say, great eye contact.
Thank you Dale, I will take a look at the crop, Exp and the highlights/whites.
Thank you for the feedback :)

The background is a little too smooth if I am honest it makes it look false somehow. But overall it works for me great image.

The background is a little too smooth if I am honest it makes it look false somehow. But overall it works for me great image.
This is my issue too. The bird looks great but overall ( to me) it looks cut n paste.

Nice picture Gav, I would crop the top too but I think framing is very personal. I have had lots of advice on framing but I often buck the trends because it suits my eye.

This is my issue too. The bird looks great but overall ( to me) it looks cut n paste.

Both fair points. I think it is overwhelming originally but that in my opinion is because there is so much of it, it's more background than subject, to begin with.

The crop would fix that I'm sure.

I have no doubt that's a genuine background.

edit:- I thought I could see a sharpening halo after a second look but I think that's Flickr adding it's bit to the mix.

Last edited:
It's a lovely smooth background that sets the bird off well, but yes a crop off the top would reduce its dominance.
As for 'cut and paste' well no not at all ... the bird does not have the synthetic appearance of a vinyl sticker that is becoming so common with many bird images here that have been sharpened and processed within an inch of their lives.
That in itself is a testament to the shot as the Goldfinch with its multi-colours is not the easiest of birds to capture.

I see your point :) does look flat, Thank you

Nice picture Gav, I would crop the top too but I think framing is very personal. I have had lots of advice on framing but I often buck the trends because it suits my eye.
Thank you :) Edit to follow ;)

It's a lovely smooth background that sets the bird off well, but yes a crop off the top would reduce its dominance.
As for 'cut and paste' well no not at all ... the bird does not have the synthetic appearance of a vinyl sticker that is becoming so common with many bird images here that have been sharpened and processed within an inch of their lives.
That in itself is a testament to the shot as the Goldfinch with its multi-colours is not the easiest of birds to capture.
Thank you Roger :)

Hi all

I've had another look, I think it's pushing it with cropping vs quality now, but the question on framing has been answered :)
I've struggled to pull the whites down something I need to look into doing in RAW edit. (DPP does show blacks are gone but whites aren't blown)
Canon DPP screen shot
Untitled.jpg

Crop added, how does this look for the framing side of things? hopefully levels are better too? (save for the whites):LOL:

IMG_3838 - redo
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

And just for fun another same field just a few mtrs to the right with a different plant ( again pushing it with the crop and struggling with the whites)

IMG_3842
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

To my eye that is much better.

Just a note to say I've tried one sky swap on a Red Kite image, this was made clear I had done so, but I felt that wasn't right for me, and have never swapped skys or BG's since that one.
I feel for me photography is to capture what is there not create a new version of what 'should' have been there as I feel that steps into digital art and strays from photography.
I've never anything to hide and happy to share anything that can help people help me :)

I can see why bg was questioned and have suffered it myself when it is so clean :) loving the framing the plants create very nice images Gav and the extra crop works

I can see why bg was questioned and have suffered it myself when it is so clean :) loving the framing the plants create very nice images Gav and the extra crop works
Thank you, I understand why, I may have defended a little too much.
Glad you enjoyed the plants, that was half the reason to grab the shots :)

Its all been said Gav but, if possible, clean bg for perched birds every time for me (y)

And the last two crops work well (y)

I agree with the others the reprocessing and framing certainly make it better.

I agree with the others the reprocessing and framing certainly make it better.

Same here, I like the expression on his face in the second pic,

Lovely picture Gav, I like it.

The smooth background is fine by me especially as you explained that it's natural. I've had similar backgrounds myself shooting flowers with long lenses and I don't think this looks fake as you can see graduations and variations.

All in all. Well done :D

Lovely picture Gav, I like it.

The smooth background is fine by me especially as you explained that it's natural. I've had similar backgrounds myself shooting flowers with long lenses and I don't think this looks fake as you can see graduations and variations.

All in all. Well done :D
Thank you Alan, nice of you to say :)

Back