Critique Goldies

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Hmmm well it's very wild and free but image is taken with me esconced in me front doorway. Lying on a load of cushions (ACTUALLY LOTS AND LOTS shhhhh:p) with a tea table in front of me with my new mini tripod:cool: ( cheers Phil and Steve actually;)) and gimbal thingy:cool: (cheers rob) ,so frankly i'm being a lady of leasure:rolleyes: and clobbering the goldies on our feeders erm ish.

We've always had them here gorgeous things to live with, that song, their stunning beauty those wing bars.But never had them on the feeders and I've never really made an effort:oops: :$. So as time and energy levels are a bit condensed I thought i'd have a play with what is under me damn nose. We got a niger feeder and shed load of grub,that helped it took them somewhere around three days to find it and start stuffing themselves then I basically for hours and hours i've just lazed around like a slob on a shed load of cushions. This wildlife photography lark is hard core guys. There are mad folks here who scrubble about on rocks and stuff trying to get images cushions are good:D As said slow learner

Serious head on then: day one first crack i'm not the sharpest tool in the box a few hours later the start of the pennies dropping.......teasels were needed,the walk gave me some time to muse............. alot of food about right now two fold thoughts..... alot of stuff for props and the thought of if I can get them really used to me what might later in the year bring when things are a bit trickier for them,we have at least seven already.
My gaff faces north/ south ish feeders are north side so most of the day in shade early morns till 10 might be good but very early light will be largely scuppered by direction and trees. I was in bad shape monday mended now some bug ouch !! so made the effort to try most of the day, once I'd stopped sleeping:rolleyes:. Really i'm just trying to break a few barriers down they are jumpy but the hours have meant they are already fairly happy at around 4/5M me snapping away door open nothing but camera etc in front/ amount of light i've been under so far has been pretty much useless. I won't use flash so am an open book to thoughts i've already mused nonsense like reflectors all manner of stuff,

Mainly this is a bit of fun a way to grab a few mins with camera,but the subject is a stunner,I have some "what could have been" image history with this little bird.Well close enough to be able to see something I'd like to capture . If I can get enough dof and Ss the little dream i'm chasing is a spat. nowt much two birds( maybe only one i'd settle for that )in the air shouting at each other. My reality is a bird on a stick is a wicked little start. so here ya go onech item

Canon 1Div 300f2.8 is ext iii 1.4 1/640 f5.6 iso 5000 pushed iso to 6400 today for an hour not sure how much further I can go with her (camera). Guys blowing white is going to be easy on these little ones,so most of the images being shaded is in some ways a blessing. But I need more of something least ways I feel I do. Maybe this actual site will change I dunno just a bit of a crack and a type of practice really

image processed in dpp4

This whole little bit of fun is slightly weird it's like domesticated wildlife image making and I suppose a set up where as normally I bumble about in fields with hares and deer bla de bla.. so I guess part of the meander in this post is do the images look contrived?? Frankly i'm not terribly fused more curious as to anothers point of view. Second any thoughts muses improvements crit all welcome

tis already good fun and where ever this goes i'm learning much:). It's been funny they would leave I'd get up prune something the sods keep coming to the feeders through a morello cherry i've almost tunneled little paths in it and the roses to clear the spots. they frequent..seceteurs are an important tool for us:D

_70F7360 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cheers for all the help here guys

seeya

stu

I always have problems with goldfinches too. They've been coming to my sunflower feeder since the demise of the local greenfinches :( and just like the greenfinches they'll sit and stuff themselves for a ages. A week or so ago I had an adult going in the feeder then feeding a youngster sitting up the the feeder bracket. Lovely. It sounds like you're taking the same care and consideration with your goldfinches as you do with your hares Stu. It doesn't look like a contrived image to me. You could if you wanted that 'perfect' shot arrange them so you can frame them in isolation with a cleaner background but you can experiment to your heart's content. Most garden birds get quite tolerant if you give them what they want. I can walk up and down the garden and the sparrows don't take any notice of me at all - too busy stuffing themselves with nuts.

Some great feather detail on the chest. I always get really soft details with these because of the fine feathers.
Ben I wonder if them not being in direct sunlight light has helped me with the feather detail?? cheers for the reply I don't really have an answer as to why i've done ok ,but great point to make mate maybe someone will educate us both and maybe help janny too:cool: Many thanks Ben!!

I always have problems with goldfinches too. They've been coming to my sunflower feeder since the demise of the local greenfinches :( and just like the greenfinches they'll sit and stuff themselves for a ages. A week or so ago I had an adult going in the feeder then feeding a youngster sitting up the the feeder bracket. Lovely. It sounds like you're taking the same care and consideration with your goldfinches as you do with your hares Stu. It doesn't look like a contrived image to me. You could if you wanted that 'perfect' shot arrange them so you can frame them in isolation with a cleaner background but you can experiment to your heart's content. Most garden birds get quite tolerant if you give them what they want. I can walk up and down the garden and the sparrows don't take any notice of me at all - too busy stuffing themselves with nuts.

Cheers for stopping by Jan i'd hope to put care into anything i'm trying to make an image of mate I think the vast majority of us do our best the more relaxed the subject the better chance one might get I guess................. softly softly catchy piccy:D Jan I think we had a greenfinch here yesterday,I couldn't get a clear view but the yellow wing bar was in place and the head looked right for shape,but we aren't seeing what we used to either. i'm hoping some will show over the coming months. I think if memory serves spring is best for green finches

Also had a coal tit turn up yesterday which was a bit of a shock twenty sommit years here and bamm a first !!! We have three kids at best count so far,10 number were feeding as I left early this morn,but no kids being fed,only one is showing no red. so I suspect mine might be just a tiny bit older than yours,but so lovely to see kids being fed mate if I didn't have so much i'd be jealous of you. youngest kidlet turns up on his own and stays for hours,it makes me wonder how they find each other again. My lass reckons the blue tits have had their beaks put out by all these other folks on their feeders,it;s quite funny,she counted something like 15 blues she said we had a blue tit bush,it's amazing how many blue tits come to feeders when one sees them all at the same time it's bewildering.

Jan cheers on thoughts on the image being contrived,the two oof sticks are now removed and yes I shall play and experiment a lot here. Janny as you know this set up type of senario is not really what I do. There is nowt wrong with any approach to me so long as the little guys are catered for, I do feel like a fish out of water though. It does interest me what effects this might or might not have on an image for a viewer. It feels so strange Janny, wildlife togging from the front door I guess my perceptions might be bigger than a viewers here,but it does interest me.

It's all good so far they are here now but no blummin light but really going for the teasels now as well as the feeders They all but avoided them at first. They were chasing each other all ways this morn seeing two screaming at each other while hovering is enough to make one drool with regards to images,but that is going to be one tricky image to make. It's all so incredibly quick and two sharp and completely in frame birds is always reliant on luck,for them to be paralell roughly to the sensor.

Good fun though gorgeous little things thy are,I do love 'em

thanks muchly Jan I hope you are well:)

stu

Good start to the project Stu - and a lot more comfy than rolling around with the Hares. The shade should help with retaining feathers detail but will require a higher ISO - down to you to see what you prefer.

As its your setup it may be worth doing a bit of gardening to keep the BG cleaner without distracting branches like the 2 on the right of the frame

Should be an interesting project to keep an eye on

Mike

Aye it is that, so easy I could do this when I get home as a basket case it feels wrong Mike not suffering for my art ha ha "my art" lmao:D.

But it does mate it's really strange, huge feelings of guilt(maybe not the right word). Mind getting what I'd really like is going to be no easy thing,I got close on sunday no light to accomplish and they "done me:rolleyes:" anyway,but there is another frame now driving this lust. Trying to track these hovering and get the other,cor long odds for me mate But WOW haven't they come it's beautiful trying to wake up and stare out of the front door and goldies all ways

It's not the same Mike as the hares or what ever i'm trying to see..........is it because we need the wild to feel one is making images of wildlife,it is strange this!

Ahh mate you have to laugh,today was meant to be easy I left full of hope for an early finish with a round dozen on the feeders and photo ops to cherish,I was coming home early today had it sorted,by 8am it had already gone pants I was given a massive diversion and back track,hey ho got back at 8 not much light:( gonna need a ruddy night scope dunno about more iso:D

Yup gardening done bro those two are already heading for kindling;)

Mike, i'm digging again can I ask for a bit of help please?

At 420mm plus the 1.3crop subject goldfinch,two birds in frame one air born if not two......... Mate, what would be the optimum distance to make an image what dof would you be wanting?? I don't want to crop it mate ,sure as houses i'll have to , due to my failings, But in a situation like this it stuck me I can make them go where I want a little tiny bit so the best distance to be from a more experienced guy might help me a tiny bit I'd be grateful for your thoughts Mike.

this is one from monday I erm think? too late no light,but the time spent with them is never gonna be wasted 1/800 f 6.3 iso 5000

_70F7498 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cheers
stu

Aye it is that, so easy I could do this when I get home as a basket case it feels wrong Mike not suffering for my art ha ha "my art" lmao:D.

But it does mate it's really strange, huge feelings of guilt(maybe not the right word). Mind getting what I'd really like is going to be no easy thing,I got close on sunday no light to accomplish and they "done me:rolleyes:" anyway,but there is another frame now driving this lust. Trying to track these hovering and get the other,cor long odds for me mate But WOW haven't they come it's beautiful trying to wake up and stare out of the front door and goldies all ways

It's not the same Mike as the hares or what ever i'm trying to see..........is it because we need the wild to feel one is making images of wildlife,it is strange this!

Ahh mate you have to laugh,today was meant to be easy I left full of hope for an early finish with a round dozen on the feeders and photo ops to cherish,I was coming home early today had it sorted,by 8am it had already gone pants I was given a massive diversion and back track,hey ho got back at 8 not much light:( gonna need a ruddy night scope dunno about more iso:D

Yup gardening done bro those two are already heading for kindling;)

Mike, i'm digging again can I ask for a bit of help please?

At 420mm plus the 1.3crop subject goldfinch,two birds in frame one air born if not two......... Mate, what would be the optimum distance to make an image what dof would you be wanting?? I don't want to crop it mate ,sure as houses i'll have to , due to my failings, But in a situation like this it stuck me I can make them go where I want a little tiny bit so the best distance to be from a more experienced guy might help me a tiny bit I'd be grateful for your thoughts Mike.

this is one from monday I erm think? too late no light,but the time spent with them is never gonna be wasted 1/800 f 6.3 iso 5000

_70F7498 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cheers
stu

Tough to give an exact distance Stu, probably best to play around a little, starting wide and working your way in.

If it was me I'd be shooting in landscape, keeping it loose. Id move the focus point to where I wanted the perched bird - say on the lower left of the frame, and keep the focus on that one. That will give some room for the flyer to go into.

Its far from an exact science and not that easy to get, but whenever you can, stopping down to say f11 will help, as not only is it hard getting the second one in frame, getting it close to the plane of focus is very hard.

Might be worth not using the converter at first as well.

If you're on a tripod, lock focus on the perched bird, then don't look through the viewfinder just watch for a close encounter then fire off a few frames when they interact.

Lots of trial and error, hope that helps for starters

Mike

Tough to give an exact distance Stu, probably best to play around a little, starting wide and working your way in.

If it was me I'd be shooting in landscape, keeping it loose. Id move the focus point to where I wanted the perched bird - say on the lower left of the frame, and keep the focus on that one. That will give some room for the flyer to go into.

Its far from an exact science and not that easy to get, but whenever you can, stopping down to say f11 will help, as not only is it hard getting the second one in frame, getting it close to the plane of focus is very hard.

Might be worth not using the converter at first as well.

If you're on a tripod, lock focus on the perched bird, then don't look through the viewfinder just watch for a close encounter then fire off a few frames when they interact.

Lots of trial and error, hope that helps for starters

Mike

Really useful Mike thank you very much indeed,great tips for me to get going. I knew you would have some good ideas

Mike sorry this is only brief 'cause i'm dying to have a spell with them. things are boardering surreal,My darling did a head count this morn 26 in one visit oh and a bully must have stopped by to see what it was missing out on.

thank you thank you :)

stu

Could do with a shed load more light purveys everything with these guys of late,just need light and time at the right time of day. but i've kicked some hours at this,trying to get my head around it all.

For now a fav from today ,very much work in progress but an attempt at an image I was actually centered on while leaving a bit of head room just in case another turns up and they have the sreemers at each other:D

. the sheer hours have warn them down and the shutter means little now,simply they got a clicky thing with a new source of some grub. They have reams all around so i guess clicky thing isn't so bad.

I can have around 30 now within 4m so have been trying the two bird images with bare 300 as with this frame a bit more shall we say working room. I expect my keeper rate to be somewhere around one in a million,but that's ok

being in your own front doorway with twenty or so little angles with gold in their wings descend all but on top of you ,no hide just cushions;) is silly cool.

They feed on the floor picking up the bits they chuck out of the blummin feeders their scraps...........all is well all is harmony.

By a feeder it's insane they are monsters,I have seen kids kung fu kicking adults might even have pics we were so busy laughing when we saw this they might be might be unshow able couldn't see for tears funny !!!!!:D . I didn't know they were like this never seen this side.of them before even though they have always been right here.

amazing subjects it's been really interesting this first just basically firing off a shutter until it means nowt did something like 8 hours of silent mode first then switch to hi speed. continuous get them used to this watching how they react,that side of it's been cool

and slowly trying to work out how in the hell to get something that i can't track with my eyes barely in little flights meters in duration. I'm prefocusing and slowly working out how to put the birds on a penny I guess. Then enough ss and dof. and a monster dollop of luck
anyway one single for now of a landing need to pull frame down but as I say room for another above. i'm going to try a rouse soon for better focusing small teddy;). No point in cropping too noisy but lovely to see those wings.

They are stunningly gorgeous just sat doing nothing on a stick but when those wings open wow OMG wow

Any tips thoughts crits fun all welcome

Mike yeah f11 good call. i'd pulled back here for the single alighting kind of image basically because my Ss is nowhere where near where I have wanted for most of the time. so was questing for something sharp even if only a bit. Fascinating to work through :)

_70F9078 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

shattered so a somewhat quick edit as I say work in progress

stu

Could do with a shed load more light purveys everything with these guys of late,just need light and time at the right time of day. but i've kicked some hours at this,trying to get my head around it all.

For now a fav from today ,very much work in progress but an attempt at an image I was actually centered on while leaving a bit of head room just in case another turns up and they have the sreemers at each other:D

. the sheer hours have warn them down and the shutter means little now,simply they got a clicky thing with a new source of some grub. They have reams all around so i guess clicky thing isn't so bad.

I can have around 30 now within 4m so have been trying the two bird images with bare 300 as with this frame a bit more shall we say working room. I expect my keeper rate to be somewhere around one in a million,but that's ok

being in your own front doorway with twenty or so little angles with gold in their wings descend all but on top of you ,no hide just cushions;) is silly cool.

They feed on the floor picking up the bits they chuck out of the blummin feeders their scraps...........all is well all is harmony.

By a feeder it's insane they are monsters,I have seen kids kung fu kicking adults might even have pics we were so busy laughing when we saw this they might be might be unshow able couldn't see for tears funny !!!!!:D . I didn't know they were like this never seen this side.of them before even though they have always been right here.

amazing subjects it's been really interesting this first just basically firing off a shutter until it means nowt did something like 8 hours of silent mode first then switch to hi speed. continuous get them used to this watching how they react,that side of it's been cool

and slowly trying to work out how in the hell to get something that i can't track with my eyes barely in little flights meters in duration. I'm prefocusing and slowly working out how to put the birds on a penny I guess. Then enough ss and dof. and a monster dollop of luck
anyway one single for now of a landing need to pull frame down but as I say room for another above. i'm going to try a rouse soon for better focusing small teddy;). No point in cropping too noisy but lovely to see those wings.

They are stunningly gorgeous just sat doing nothing on a stick but when those wings open wow OMG wow

Any tips thoughts crits fun all welcome

Mike yeah f11 good call. i'd pulled back here for the single alighting kind of image basically because my Ss is nowhere where near where I have wanted for most of the time. so was questing for something sharp even if only a bit. Fascinating to work through :)

_70F9078 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

shattered so a somewhat quick edit as I say work in progress

stu

Will have a proper look after work tonight Stu, but what a great thread!

This last image would be better suited to a landscape crop what with the wing positions, etc.

Catch up later (y)

Keep then coming Stu!

This one looks like the focus is on the teasel, maybe try setting something up beforehand and get 'our Shaz' to hold something in place on which to focus on if you're trying the pre-focus method.

I agree with Wez that horizontal was the ideal here.

Its going to be a fun project, and certainly not a simple one!

Mike

Wez how the devil are ya mate? Buddy cheers on the beginnings of this, mate if I get there and do get something in the realms of what I want ,then there has to be a monster of a learning curve for me involved,so I thought a bit of waffling might be of use to others. This is slightly different to the hares as i'm trying for particular images with I suppose FC taking a major back seat. Bar those initial hours (and hours and hours of me simply breaking down barriers between me and the subjects

Wez maybe not everyone is soo unbelieveable fortunate to have stacks of goldies but many of us do feed our garden birds and so have similar chances. most of those bird in da garden type pics are fairly static BOS (bird on stick) type shots.Obviously i'm questing for something a bit more,I'm not trashing bird on stick type images mate just interested in what might be possible.

It struck me that this alone might be interesting but also someone not so able could have these chances too,so sort of mused dwelling on this a bit more than maybe is usual. Ten years as a careworker means I can't help but think of the inspiring lads and lasses whom do amazing things but have to fight harder than more fotunate folks whom are blessed to be able bodied!!

I'm learning trying to get my head around all this,so obviously loads of mistakes will occur Basically folks are going to probably see me fail,but if by some fluke I do get what i'm after then another guy might have a method to try. Hopefully as is already happening more advanced guys like you and Mike et al might chime in put me straight or at least bung some ideas in to the pot.

To the image good call mate, landscape never even entered my head ,as above the bigger picture at play is, I am framed deliberately like this leaving room for a second bird up top. But yours and Mikes words noted when I try for this image properly i'll use landscape great shout i'll also take that at 420 not 300..

Mike how ya doing bro? Cheers on the landscape aswell !!!!!

Yup if you dig into the waffle you'll note a comment on a rouse with a small teddy,I don't spell things out much huh:D Basically tiny teddy has legs close to same length as goldie ,so yes exactly shaz will hold teddy in exactly the right position , feet touching teasel replicating goldie landing, I will then nail focus on his eyes;) and bingo i'll be focused in the right place. VERY aware here mate,I am living these mistakes and thinking Just not as quick as I should be tis all. Mind this is shocking in how different it is for me to what I normally do,so I have little experience wise to draw upon. so the lessons being learnt are hard won ,leastways at this stage.

Yup it is fun,very strange and weird,but at the same time an exercise in trying to get a particular image which is a really good thought process for me to try. Good learning tool for me mate this. Cheers for the encouragement and help bro,much appreciated. My darling is also musing while I'm not here details on when exactly they come and when light might help all being logged and discussed.

thanks both

stu

An interesting 'targeted' project :). I look forward to seeing how it develops.

We do get Goldies and have had a good few juveniles this year. I have plenty of bits of branch to set a scene......just need time to think through something to create that is naturalistic for next year???

An interesting 'targeted' project :). I look forward to seeing how it develops.

We do get Goldies and have had a good few juveniles this year. I have plenty of bits of branch to set a scene......just need time to think through something to create that is naturalistic for next year???

Laurence,my humble apologies,I think i've replied twice but am a basket case tired after this madness I do to live,so obviously haven't hit submit DOH.

Go for it now mate not later not next year,good time the kids are that bit bolder. Methinks like with other beasties making friends with kids might be a good investment,they'll be shinning in weeks now i'd guess lots of porcupines about right now:D.

Naturalistic in a garden is the strangest concept isn't it ???? I suppose food plants have been my first choice to work towards this,one might expect to see them there Thanks for the reply, join in buddy:)

Hmmm banging me 'ead against the wall here:banghead: I go off to work around sunrise now,have to push lot's (30 40 now I dunno) of gorgeous ickle folk off their brekky,some days it's also wonderus spangly golden hour light jees it's harsh going to work right now...mutter mutter muble moan lol.

Ok teddy implemented, no ruddy light evening image, this is a morn shoot,but ya know doorstep goldies, time to think, life ain't so bad. 1/1600 f 7.1 iso 6400 a kidlet coming in. I'm just focusing on a landing image and working through that one first trying to wrap my head around timing of shutter press and where I actually want the dof but teddy being roughly similar in both leg and body to goldie seems to be worth a crack

Very much a work in progress again . A couple of things, the double image is still in the works it's just without strength of light the lack of ss and dof is making the odds so slim,but I can still grab details on the single alighting image. If I can get two screaming then portrait ironically is throwing the best odds smack up against the feeder. Frustrating this but good learning something so different post in DPP4 420mm as framed /no crop tripod / gimbal locked down pre focused

_70F9178 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

oh and it's meant to be cloudy and rain here tomorrow morning surprise surprise sunday maybe;)

have a wicked weekend all

stu

Loving these Stu. There's too much in the hedgerows for many birds to come to my feeders, but I'm not complaining - it's the way it's supposed to be. A bit of a cold snap and they'll come.

Exactly Jan:) that's what is perplexing me: when we had four that was it OORRAAA, I was stunned and chuffed to bits,thrilled sort of what I might have hoped for. As I say they are here I do know them. And naturally I see the flocks come winter all around us all as it should be................ but a pot of niger and again exactly as wiith yours sunflower kernals and boom.

Jan it reminds me of the waves of waxwings ,alighting in their chosen feeder tree all around one,I am stumped by it though;)

Cor mate going out the door in the most gorgeous light was so hard this mor,wish me luck at around 10 /11 tomorow morn might be a chink in the grey don't want bright just want a chance:D Dawn is rain so that's clobbered

Hopefully more soon janny I have a stack already but I know there is better once I catch up.... this will come if it lasts long enough could have so done with two killer dawns now !!!

look after yourself mate;)

stu

Laurence,my humble apologies,I think i've replied twice but am a basket case tired after this madness I do to live,so obviously haven't hit submit DOH.

Go for it now mate not later not next year,good time the kids are that bit bolder. Methinks like with other beasties making friends with kids might be a good investment,they'll be shinning in weeks now i'd guess lots of porcupines about right now:D.

Naturalistic in a garden is the strangest concept isn't it ???? I suppose food plants have been my first choice to work towards this,one might expect to see them there Thanks for the reply, join in buddy:)

Hmmm banging me 'ead against the wall here:banghead: I go off to work around sunrise now,have to push lot's (30 40 now I dunno) of gorgeous ickle folk off their brekky,some days it's also wonderus spangly golden hour light jees it's harsh going to work right now...mutter mutter muble moan lol.

Ok teddy implemented, no ruddy light evening image, this is a morn shoot,but ya know doorstep goldies, time to think, life ain't so bad. 1/1600 f 7.1 iso 6400 a kidlet coming in. I'm just focusing on a landing image and working through that one first trying to wrap my head around timing of shutter press and where I actually want the dof but teddy being roughly similar in both leg and body to goldie seems to be worth a crack

Very much a work in progress again . A couple of things, the double image is still in the works it's just without strength of light the lack of ss and dof is making the odds so slim,but I can still grab details on the single alighting image. If I can get two screaming then portrait ironically is throwing the best odds smack up against the feeder. Frustrating this but good learning something so different post in DPP4 420mm as framed /no crop tripod / gimbal locked down pre focused

_70F9178 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

oh and it's meant to be cloudy and rain here tomorrow morning surprise surprise sunday maybe;)

have a wicked weekend all

stu

I wasn't going to mess around with these Stu as I know you're frustrated with not having PS at the moment, but this last one was is good that I thought I'd give you a little taste of how it could look after a couple of mins at the computer!

Looks like the teddy did you proud - great timing - pin sharp.

37504931022_697bba5bdb_bRP.jpg

Oh wow bless ya mate...Mike PS is frustrating ,but it is coming I'm nearly there please feel free to share your skills I learn so much. Mate is was always gong to be like this i'm still banking me RAW's and having a ball and learning i'm getting a fantastic grounding if I have the base right then I can build off that can't I:). I'm much more frustrated by sitting here in the dark with all this under me nose. Mate I didn't feel this was up to speed i'm maxed on iso and under exposed due to sraping about for more SS I'm studing the raws so hard Mike at times I might be being too harsh on what I have taken so I appreciate this on a huge level

I wondered about that bright area I can't move right or left but have been pondering that,mind if a get a chance early in the day this might not manifest it'sself. I'll be back later mate need to have a bash although it's dark as hell here only need a few seconds of bright and smidgen of luck

Thank you mate I'm quite surprised and a tiny bit thrilled;):D

stu

Hmm framing I know 300mm would be good I have slappedmyself, but hey this is really tricky,it's so blummin fast. I can't seem to replicate the above but I guess I have a couple of three goldie images now.

Weird how as one learns the odd really cool chance comes along. .when that happens what was once one's best becomes obselete and images that you would have almost given an arm for a close chance at getting become almost ordinary, Sorry I'm maybe not articulating this well but although properly hampered by light it's been a good couple of weekends. Biggest lesson learned here is sit on a chnce when it come recognise it,I walk past waaaayyy too much !!!

I guess I haven't really measured up as a photographer, but man it's been fun............ really testing in many different ways to normal. Good fun going away from what one knows even if it is at home lol. Guys I am not there yet but here's sommit for now I like there will probably be a couple or three following not really got my head around it all or what I have
as yet
Screamin' goldies 420mm regret this I just never seemed to get that break to get the 1.4 off and that cost me dear,not only here, but hey ho I just wanted me lass to have a couple of goldies on her feeders!! what a blast 1/600 f8 iso 6400 processed in dpp4 open to thoughts. I know i'm curious if the framing just kills it dead for you??...but two is HARD man !!!!!:D

_70F9671 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cheers for the thoughts previously

stu

A simple portrait just cause they are so gorgeous really not yet at it's (his? this red lark looks hard to master) splendid best but cropped to 4;5 from 2/3 one of the most stunning visiting at the mo.

I wonder whether the kids are so aggressive because they are hungry,goldies seem to be doing well I wonder how finding winter grub in our gardens is really helping these kids when their parents have kicked them out . Field in front of house, set aside, cut yesterday things might change I wonder??

Stunning little birds are they not oh typo on image obove this onee ss 1/1600

ss for this image 1/2500 f8 iso 6400

_70F0050 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cheers

stu

1/1600 f8 iso 6400 cropped to 4;5 poor framing...........hmmm fast it is !!! I do like this though, to have just the one would be nice but I asked for two lol:dummy:

_70F9689 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

stu

Funny looks like something sort of snowman shaped:D This is the puff up before shake I presume to get all the feathers back where they should be. Most are still moulting some shinning now but maybe not quite at their best yet.. How much the red varies is amazing in the different individuals.

Bit of a grab been trying a while to catch this it amuses me.

some might think he simply ate all the sunflower and niger,this would probably be true;) but it isn't why it's this shape bless!!

_70F2889 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

stu

Back