Good alternative to 24-70 2.8 L

Edit My Images
No
I need a fairly wide zoom to complement the 5d. However I can't afford the 24-70 L right now, but I do need something with a 2.8 constant aperture for lowlight and my shaky hands.

any advice, suggestions/recommendations? thanks!

If the rumours are true, then the 24-70 will be updated soon to IS. There should be a loads of the old version on the market (mine included) as people upgrade, so may be worth waiting a few weeks to see what happens.

Sigma 24-70 f2.8?? i think is your only option.

theres 2 made by sigma in that length. One seems to be half the price of the other. Do you know which one you are referring to?

yeah, i would love to go for the L 2nd hand, but I cant see any around lately. hopefully some may pop up as Edtog says.

There was two version of the sigma, the only difference appart from price was HSM motor. At one point the non HSM could be had for £239 in Jessops, fantastic price if you could get it at that. About 2 christmas's ago i nearly bought one in Jessops as they came down to £199. I have been kicking myself ever since!!! grrr

I'm just waiting to bite the bullet and go for a Tamron 28-75.

It's constant 2.8 too and gets rave reviews.

just got myself the tamron 28-75mm, not had chance to test it out but will over the weekend.

most people on here rate it highly though

onestop digital. they are from hong kong but iv never had any problems with them and considerably more cheaper than uk prices.

How long did it take from ordering the lens, to you getting it, did it take? Did you use the Fedex option?

im just wondering if i might miss the 4mm on wide, but i like what i get with the 17-50mm tamron on a cropped body. so the 28mm on FF may be liveable.

just got myself the tamron 28-75mm, not had chance to test it out but will over the weekend.

most people on here rate it highly though

I had one and found it to flare a lot, though it was admittedly in conditions were flare is likely (no UV or other filter to blame)

I currently have only a 28-135 on my 5D2 and it hasn't bothered me having only 28mm to play with...ok i'm looking for a wider lens just now, but the 17-30 range on a FF is a different kettle of fish.

A quick search of Google will show plenty of opinions and reviews.

17-40 L is a good lens *** used in the right circumstances on a 5d, it suffers a little distortion at the wide end when close ish to the subject but i suppose thats expected. I sold my 17-40 to part fund the 24-70 L and tbh, i've not looked back.

I'm not bothered about the IS, thats just something to fail outside the warranty and imho encourages poor technique.

17-40 L is a good lens *** used in the right circumstances on a 5d, it suffers a little distortion at the wide end when close ish to the subject but i suppose thats expected. I sold my 17-40 to part fund the 24-70 L and tbh, i've not looked back.

I'm not bothered about the IS, thats just something to fail outside the warranty and imho encourages poor technique.

I know it's irrelevant to the OP as they say they can't afford it, but I've just bought a new 24-70 L and it is an awesome lens, not sure I'd need IS on it

I had one and found it to flare a lot, though it was admittedly in conditions were flare is likely (no UV or other filter to blame)

did you end up selling it? if so, what did you replace it?

I currently have only a 28-135 on my 5D2 and it hasn't bothered me having only 28mm to play with...ok i'm looking for a wider lens just now, but the 17-30 range on a FF is a different kettle of fish.

A quick search of Google will show plenty of opinions and reviews.

ive read good reviews about that lens, but i would need something with 2.8 constant aperture.

Totally...that's why i've just ordered the Tam 28-75 from Onestop, to try.

If i miss the IS or extra range too much, i'll sell it on.

:)

There was two version of the sigma, the only difference appart from price was HSM motor.

erm no.

sigma 24-70 ex macro

Lens Construction 14 Elements in 13 Groups (3 asphericals 2 SLD)
Minimum Aperture F32
Minimum Focusing Distance 40cm
Maximum Magnification 1:3.8
Dimensions Diameter 89mm X Length 115.5mm
Weight 715g

sigma 24-70 ex HSM

Lens Construction 14 Elements in 12 Groups (3 asphericals, 2 SLD and 1 ELD element)
Minimum Aperture F22
Minimum Focusing Distance 38cm
Maximum Magnification 1:5.3
Dimensions Diameter 88.6mm X Length 94.7mm
Weight 790g

MTF charts are different to

HSM

24-70_hsm.jpg

non-HSM

24-70ex.jpg

did you end up selling it? if so, what did you replace it?

yep on here a while back for what I paid for it :D

replaced it with a tamron 17-50f2.8 which is a much more usable focal range on crop (about 28-75 on ff :D) this to me seems sharper and miles better for flare. I also found the 28-75 a bit slow to focus,

could be I had a bad copy of the 28-75 maybe? seeing as everyone else raves aout it

Anyone considered the Sigma 28-70? I picked one up recently for £189 form Jessops but not had the chance to put it through it's paces yet.

Back