Good printer under £1500

For photographic paper I'd default to an A3+ Canon Pixma, but if you are printing on heavier material the Epson 3880 is superb.

The Epson will take up to 1.5mm thick and the Rag is 0.5mm, so loads of clearance.

No idea about the thickness that the Canon's can take because I only use photo paper. It'll be on their website though.

theres a promo vid of canon printers by b n h on youtube, its long and pretty good

the key thing is how well whatever printer u end up with behaves...

Yeah, I'm looking at the Canon Pro 10. It was the approx bit that made me slightly concerned, along with Canon special media "Rear Tray: Plain paper (64 to 105 g/m²), Photo paper up to approx. 300 g/m² (Canon special media)
Manual Feeder: Canon special media up to approx. 350g/m² and 0.6mm"

theres a promo vid of canon printers by b n h on youtube, its long and pretty good

the key thing is how well whatever printer u end up with behaves...

Will check it out.

What do you mean by the last line?

every printer ive ever know has played up at some point, so its a matter of how annoying or repeatidly it has a problem, or not. but im used to consumer level stuff

Yeah, I'm looking at the Canon Pro 10. It was the approx bit that made me slightly concerned, along with Canon special media "Rear Tray: Plain paper (64 to 105 g/m²), Photo paper up to approx. 300 g/m² (Canon special media)
Manual Feeder: Canon special media up to approx. 350g/m² and 0.6mm"

Will check it out.

What do you mean by the last line?

I have used lots of different papers on mine the older 9000 pro,they always say Canon media :)

every printer ive ever know has played up at some point, so its a matter of how annoying or repeatidly it has a problem, or not. but im used to consumer level stuff

Right. Got you.

I have used lots of different papers on mine the older 9000 pro,they always say Canon media :)

Cool.

Will decide whetehr to go for the Pro 10 or not. Initially I wanted something that would print wider/larger height in landscape (like the Epson) but maybe this will be big enough.

I'm a Canon fan and I've got a Pixma 9000 but if I had the dosh now, and I was printing fine art/prints for retail purposes, I'd go for the 3880 every time. The ability to print at A2 for under £1,000 is really very impressive (and I've used them a fair bit too).

Have a good think if A3 is the biggest you want to do. A2 or A1 look much much better on the wall which points to something like Canon iPf 6**0 or 8**0 or the corresponding epsons. You'll have to watch the used market within that budget and only buy newish, but regularly used ones.

Pro 1 print to 350gsm

Thanks.

Have a good think if A3 is the biggest you want to do. A2 or A1 look much much better on the wall which points to something like Canon iPf 6**0 or 8**0 or the corresponding epsons. You'll have to watch the used market within that budget and only buy newish, but regularly used ones.

Thing is, it's for weddings and I can't see the couples I attract wanting A2 sized prints of themselves on the wall. The main reason for wanting larger than A2 print was for personal photos but to be honest I don't think I'd print enough to warrant the higher cost of the printer now I think about it.

Pixma Pro 1 seem to be very very popular choices for many.

Thanks. I think the Pro 10 is the one I'll go for but will check the Pro 1.

Thanks.

Thing is, it's for weddings and I can't see the couples I attract wanting A2 sized prints of themselves on the wall. The main reason for wanting larger than A2 print was for personal photos but to be honest I don't think I'd print enough to warrant the higher cost of the printer now I think about it.

Thanks. I think the Pro 10 is the one I'll go for but will check the Pro 1.

Pro 10 is competitively prices, yes. However have you considered consumables, where the iPf series are clearly cheaper over the time?

Pro 10 is competitively prices, yes. However have you considered consumables, where the iPf series are clearly cheaper over the time?

I'm costing it all up at the moment, but I have a feeling that even with inks being cheaper, the more expensive printers won't pay for themselves over time based on how many prints I'll be doing.

I'm costing it all up at the moment, but I have a feeling that even with inks being cheaper, the more expensive printers won't pay for themselves over time based on how many prints I'll be doing.

just remember that you can't leave them for weeks doing nothing or printer head will clog up and cost hundreds to fix. A print a week seems to be the minimum use.

Back