Good wildlife spots near Edinburgh?

Name
Stacy
Edit My Images
Yes
After spending last weekend mainly photographing wildlife in the garden and out and about, I found that I really, really enjoy that kind of photography, and was wondering if anyone knew of any good wildlife spots in or around Edinburgh? I know there's the zoo, but was hoping to get some wildlife in more natural habitats.

Last edited:
gm43uk said:
This might be of help http://www.edinburghwildlife.com/
http://www.edinburgh.gov.uk/info/78/countryside_management_and_conservation/710/countryside_sites/1

If you want to venture a little further afield a boat trip to the Isle of May could be interesting, lots of gannets, puffins, seals etc. I keep promising myself one of these trips.

Thanks for the link! Will have a look at that on my lunch break today :)

I would love to see some seals at some point! Any tips on the best way to get to the Isle of May as a solo traveller??

I'm not sure about getting there as a solo traveller. There are regular trips to the Isle of May http://www.isleofmayferry.com/home.asp

and details of the bird observatory here http://www.isleofmaybirdobs.org/how-to-visit

Seals are great, I live in Dundee and it's quite common to see them swimming about. If the beach is quite they will often come quite close to the shore for a better look at the humans. And in the summer we're lucky enough to get dolphins in the Tay.

gm43uk said:
I'm not sure about getting there as a solo traveller. There are regular trips to the Isle of May http://www.isleofmayferry.com/home.asp

and details of the bird observatory here http://www.isleofmaybirdobs.org/how-to-visit

Seals are great, I live in Dundee and it's quite common to see them swimming about. If the beach is quite they will often come quite close to the shore for a better look at the humans. And in the summer we're lucky enough to get dolphins in the Tay.

Ah I envy you! Dolphins are my favourite animal. Haven't seen any in this country yet!

Thanks again for the links! :)

The dolphins are amazing, they usually appear on the river between May and September, the best time to see them is about an hour before high tide and the best places are either from Broughty Castle or Tayport (or from a boat, there are regular trips during dolphin season).

I got this pic a couple of years back from beside Broughty Castle http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmarkie_pics/2617502129/in/set-72157606094277245/

gm43uk said:
The dolphins are amazing, they usually appear on the river between May and September, the best time to see them is about an hour before high tide and the best places are either from Broughty Castle or Tayport (or from a boat, there are regular trips during dolphin season).

I got this pic a couple of years back from beside Broughty Castle http://www.flickr.com/photos/gmarkie_pics/2617502129/in/set-72157606094277245/

Gorgeous photo! Think I'll have to look into a wee trip up there around about May time too! lol I'm going to be busy with all these trips!! :D

Here are a few suggestions:

The Pentland Hills
- Lots of scenerary and perfect for all sorts of wildlife:
Corstorphine Hill - Good walk to the top and you can even see some of the zoo animals for free!:
Granton - Lots of Piers and sea birds:
Arthurs Seat - Lots to see if you walk around it, ponds, wildlife etc:

Thats just a few suggestions but Edinburgh is chock a Block with places. I drive around constantly talking snaps in weird and wonderful locations around the city.

boccers_2000 said:
Here are a few suggestions:

The Pentland Hills - Lots of scenerary and perfect for all sorts of wildlife:
Corstorphine Hill - Good walk to the top and you can even see some of the zoo animals for free!:
Granton - Lots of Piers and sea birds:
Arthurs Seat - Lots to see if you walk around it, ponds, wildlife etc:

Thats just a few suggestions but Edinburgh is chock a Block with places. I drive around constantly talking snaps in weird and wonderful locations around the city.

Thanks boccers! Was at Arthurs Seat last Saturday and had a ball with my camera!! Love how close you can get to the pigeons and swans!

I'll look into the other options that you've given me :) thanks! I suppose it's really just a case of exploring and see what I find?

It sure is. You can find a great picture in even the unlikliest of places but if its wildlife youre interested in then that should be a great starting point for you.

If I could recommend anywhere then drive to Flotterstone Ranger and Visitor centre (park up) and takle a walk to the nearby reservior. Loads of birds and hills around it, youll feel like your in a really remote location and you wouldnt think the city was nearby.

boccers_2000 said:
It sure is. You can find a great picture in even the unlikliest of places but if its wildlife youre interested in then that should be a great starting point for you.

If I could recommend anywhere then drive to Flotterstone Ranger and Visitor centre (park up) and takle a walk to the nearby reservior. Loads of birds and hills around it, youll feel like your in a really remote location and you wouldnt think the city was nearby.

Yeah I definitely love photographing wildlife and really want to improve on this area! I was proud of myself getting my first good bird shots on Sunday in the garden, but want to get out there and experience other wildlife in Scotland.

That sounds really good, think I'll do that in the next few weeks-weather dependent of course!

Not exactly 'wild' life, as in herds of wilderbeasts, but don't forget Butterfly World for something different.

DD

Dirty Donkey said:
Not exactly 'wild' life, as in herds of wilderbeasts, but don't forget Butterfly World for something different.

DD

I was thinking if butterfly world, but wasn't sure about humidity affecting the camera? Or if u can use flash?

If its cold outside and you take the camera on condensation will form and you wont be able to use it so either go on a warm day or keep the camera insulated before you go in (or stay in or a while and let the camera temperatire match the temp inside)

Park at Cramond seafront and walk up the River Almond to the waterfall, there is a heron regularly fishing around there also lots of swans and ducks to photograph also plenty of birds along the seafront.
There is also the Five Sisters zoo at West Calder, good for meercat photos - check out their webpage.

Park at Cramond seafront and walk up the River Almond to the waterfall, there is a heron regularly fishing around there also lots of swans and ducks to photograph also plenty of birds along the seafront.
There is also the Five Sisters zoo at West Calder, good for meercat photos - check out their webpage.

Thanks for the tips! Will add those to my expanding list (y)

Lets get out and about!

Portmore Loch and wood lands in Midlothian for Roe Deer and birds although this is a private loch for fishing you can still get some migrating wild birds.
Also Gladhouse reservoir for a more natural surroundings for birds.
The Moorfoot hills unspoilt and a lot of dense vegetation for wildlife, not popular with hill walkers so unlikely to be disturbed unlike the Pentlands.

For birds of prey the city bypass for Kestrels. Ospreys nest in Glentress forest and have been spotted at Portmore.

Buzzards in many woodlands around Midlothian.

Here's a pdf for springfeild mill for otters, kingfishers and other wildlife.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...2D9MX2wWYd1vxBPxg&sig2=0SEUpASNtJgyoYSrYrBaVA

Hope this helps

Last edited:
prjohns said:
Lets get out and about!

Portmore Loch and wood lands in Midlothian for Roe Deer and birds although this is a private loch for fishing you can still get some migrating wild birds.
The Moorfoot hills unspoilt and a lot of dense vegetation for wildlife, not popular with hill walkers so unlikely to be disturbed unlike the Pentlands.

For birds of prey the city bypass for Kestrels. Ospreys nest in Glentress forest and have been spotted at Portmore.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CDMQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.midlothian.gov.uk%2Fdownload%2Fdownloads%2Fid%2F299%2Fspringfield_mill_leaflet&rct=j&q=%20otters%20midlothian&ei=IGJzTcelII2WhQfJ4b1F&usg=AFQjCNHS0xeziVl9z2D9MX2wWYd1vxBPxg&sig2=0SEUpASNtJgyoYSrYrBaVA

Hope this helps

That's great thanks!! Another one for my list :)

Lets get out and about!

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...2D9MX2wWYd1vxBPxg&sig2=0SEUpASNtJgyoYSrYrBaVA

Hope this helps

Just been having a look at the link for Springfield Mill and really would like to visit there sometime in the near future. Any ideas on how to get there? I can't seem to get that information on the pdf file.

Stacy,

Have you thought of the Bass Rock? It's off North Berwick, so not too far from Edinburgh. There are boat trips March-October - see the Scottish Seabird Centre website here

I haven't been there myself, but gannets are lovely looking birds, some flew past the boat on my trip to the May Island.

TooLate said:
Stacy,

Have you thought of the Bass Rock? It's off North Berwick, so not too far from Edinburgh. There are boat trips March-October - see the Scottish Seabird Centre website here

I haven't been there myself, but gannets are lovely looking birds, some flew past the boat on my trip to the May Island.

Thanks, yes we're planning a trip to North Berwick for mothers day, so going to visit the seabird centre, and I hope to go out to Bass Rock! :)

I work in Midlothian and a colleague was talking about Aberlady Nature reserve recently.
Looks like it could be worth a visit.
http://www.aberlady.org/Nature reserve.html

I appreciate some of the suggestions here too. I'd never heard of Springfield Mill before, looks great! (y)

Thanks for that link Ian - looks like it would be another great place to add to my list of explorations! (y)

I've never heard of Springfield Mill either, but look forward to visiting there! It's amazing the places that are right under your nose that you never really pay attention to

Have you thought about heading south to the Farne Islands off the Northumberland coast at seahouses? You'll see hundreds of seals and depending when you go, thousands of puffins too. The various boat trips have options for going onto the islands themselves so not all of your shots will be from a wobbly boat.

Have you thought about heading south to the Farne Islands off the Northumberland coast at seahouses? You'll see hundreds of seals and depending when you go, thousands of puffins too. The various boat trips have options for going onto the islands themselves so not all of your shots will be from a wobbly boat.

I have started to think about straying further afield down south to explore as much of the British wildlife as I can, so this is great too! Thanks, will definitely have a look and see what I can find out about that area (y)

There is a very good bird hide up in the Pentlands Click Here. It is a big hut with room for quite a few folk to watch out onto Bavelaw Marsh in comfort, theres benches to sit on while you watch. Also there is a feeding station just to the front of the hide which allows some good close up opportunities (depending on lens) and is visited by large variety of mostly small birds. I've visited this hide a few times and got some good shots of small birds.

If you need directions let me know and I'll post them.

There is a very good bird hide up in the Pentlands Click Here. It is a big hut with room for quite a few folk to watch out onto Bavelaw Marsh in comfort, theres benches to sit on while you watch. Also there is a feeding station just to the front of the hide which allows some good close up opportunities (depending on lens) and is visited by large variety of mostly small birds. I've visited this hide a few times and got some good shots of small birds.

If you need directions let me know and I'll post them.

Thanks very much for the link Frank! Directions would be great, as I've never actually driven to the Pentlands before! :bonk: Thanks (y)

I don't know how well you know Balerno but here goes.
When you turn off the Lanark Rd W at Balerno, take 1st left after the high school onto Bavelaw Rd. Stay on this road and it continous into Mansfield Rd. Follow this road all the way uphill, You can follow it on Googlemap.

When you get to the end of the houses you will see a bus terminus at the top on the right at Cockburn Cresc', you carry straight on ahead taking you up to the countryside. As you follow the road up past the vetinary surgry on the S bend you come to a fork in the road, keep to the left.

As you are still climbing (Watch for the potholes...winter damage) the road starts to level out. Follow on for a few hundred yds and you will see a car park on your left, It's signposted.

Once you have parked the car go back out to road and turn left, about 4 or 5 mins walk till you come to a bridge, Immediatly on far side of bridge is a gate on the right. Through the gate along wooden walkway and a few mins walk leads you straight to the bird hide.
It is alway unlocked, usual countryside rules, close gates behind you and doors and window latches in the bird hide when your finished

If you have time can walk through the other end of car park, it takes you down to Threipmuir reservior, you might get lucky and see some wildlife there, or scenry at least. Pick a nice day for it.

Have fun

I'm from Lanark and a couple of my favourite spots in the area are Peebles and Doune.

There are Red Kites at Argaty near Doune and these can be photographed from the hide. In Peebles if you walk along the river towards Neidpath Castle the chances are you will see at least one Heron as well as Dippers (the Dippers nest along the river), Kingfisher(if you are lucky. I haven't seen them for a while. If you do go and see the Kingfisher can you let me know please) and in the summer Sand Martins nest next to the bridge in the park.

There are also the Peregrines at New Lanark but you need upwards of a 500mm les for them

Hope these help

Neil

I don't know how well you know Balerno but here goes.
When you turn off the Lanark Rd W at Balerno, take 1st left after the high school onto Bavelaw Rd. Stay on this road and it continous into Mansfield Rd. Follow this road all the way uphill, You can follow it on Googlemap.

When you get to the end of the houses you will see a bus terminus at the top on the right at Cockburn Cresc', you carry straight on ahead taking you up to the countryside. As you follow the road up past the vetinary surgry on the S bend you come to a fork in the road, keep to the left.

As you are still climbing (Watch for the potholes...winter damage) the road starts to level out. Follow on for a few hundred yds and you will see a car park on your left, It's signposted.

Once you have parked the car go back out to road and turn left, about 4 or 5 mins walk till you come to a bridge, Immediatly on far side of bridge is a gate on the right. Through the gate along wooden walkway and a few mins walk leads you straight to the bird hide.
It is alway unlocked, usual countryside rules, close gates behind you and doors and window latches in the bird hide when your finished

If you have time can walk through the other end of car park, it takes you down to Threipmuir reservior, you might get lucky and see some wildlife there, or scenry at least. Pick a nice day for it.

Have fun

Perfect thanks!! (y)

Back