Google OS

Personally no. I read that all user data is stored on googles servers, don't like that idea at all.

Personally no, but I think many will and I think it is the way that things will go.

No data stored at home all your data in a secured vault accessible from anywhere on anything, cross platform with no glitches.

I think security has got a ways to go yet and there are issues regarding the use of the data but eventually home, work, leisure will all be in one place and we will pay for it or be bombarded with adverts and offers.

Linux (gentoo) is my OS of choice and I don't see the changing in the near future. I am forced to boot to windows to use lightroom (contemplating a virtual install but not gotten around to it).

I have no intention of using an operating system from a company that seeks to catalogue everything and anything it can get its hands on.

7 second boot-up and free............

..........very tempting!

It seems that the devices will be positioned somewhere between a laptop and a smartphone and tbh owning both products meets all my needs, so don't think I'll be getting one.

From the spec I've read it seems as if works via a web browser window. You can access email's and similar via Google's servers, which looks like you are going to have to use Gmail and other Google specific aps Although it's said that it could be run as a stand alone OS for data already on the computer.

The target market looks like Netbooks

Doubt if it will support Photoshop or other similar programs. It appears to be a fairly simple OS running limited aps. Not that that is a criticism, but for serious stuff it may be not suitable. Will it run iTunes?

7 second boot-up and free............

..........very tempting!

Dont expect to be able to press the power button and have a running system in 7 seconds though. Things like the BIOS all add on top of those figures (some computers can take as long as 15 seconds from power on to exiting BIOS).

That being said, i do like the idea of a fast boot light weight system for the 50% of the time when i just want to use the browser.

Dont expect to be able to press the power button and have a running system in 7 seconds though. Things like the BIOS all add on top of those figures (some computers can take as long as 15 seconds from power on to exiting BIOS).

That being said, i do like the idea of a fast boot light weight system for the 50% of the time when i just want to use the browser.

The point is that it does away with traditional BIOS etc, it will only be compatible with specific hardware, so less devices to scan/drivers to load etc.

The point is that it does away with traditional BIOS etc, it will only be compatible with specific hardware, so less devices to scan/drivers to load etc.

Didnt realise that and it would seem a lot of people dont.
Rather than being a linux or windows alternative it is looking more like a Mac alternative. An OS that must have set Hardware, thus the hardware will undoutedly be overpriced.

Depends what you want from an OS really

If you want quick bootup, basic apps and the ability to use the web then Google OS serves the purpose

Most people are so used to Windows or MacOS that it would be hard to change due to the restrictions with Google

Im still on XP, it works as I need it, I can run Photoshop CS4, Dreamweaver and Firefox and thats all I need to be honest. I am an IT Engineer by trade and see no reason for me to go to Windows 7, let alone Google

Back