Gorilla Pod vs The Pod

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
Funds are a little tight this month, and ideally I'd like to have both. But which would you have? A Gorilla Pod or a Green "The Pod" bean bag?

I decided to order the Gorilla Pod for now, and will order "The Pod" green at the end of October - hopefully getting delivery before our trip to America.

Just wondered if I made the right choice.

Not used a bean bag, But I do have a gorillapod SLR-Zoom with the Ballhead X.

I think it's an excellent bit of kit. Done some long exposure night work with it, group shots, bit of all sorts really. As long as you use it sensibly, it's very stable. Obviously if all 3 legs are near upright it's not! Has no issue with my 650d and kit lens, I see no reason why it won't also be fine once I pick up a tokina 11-16mm either.

I have the big gorillapod (focus?) with their ballhead... IMO, they are way overpriced for what they can do/support. BUT, I would say they are better than "the pod" as a tripod alternative.
Beanbags are great for specific purposes (i.e. long lens support from a vehicle), but they aren't very versatile. On a trip I would just use whatever I could find to pad/position a camera on a surface instead (i.e. a rolled up jacket/wallet/books/whatever).

Have to agree with Steven

Don't get me wrong the bigger gorrillapods can be handy and I've owned most but I've long since resorted to full tripod or make do.

Best thing I ever did was fill a waterproof bag with 4 bags of dry rice - tie it up in a pair of thick tights folded inside and out a few times and cable tie it.

It moulds to any shape, stands tall or lies flat takes a long lens or a landscape set up and is easily ditched.

I had the Gorilla focus too. Sold it on after a few months. I found it didn't live up to it's promises. It would slip and bend and dip under pressure when I put the D800 + average lens on it, let alone anything close to 5kg - which it is supposed to support. And I was using a Manfrotto ballhead that could hold a payload of 6kg along with.

I forgot to say, the reason for one of these is my trip to America. We're going to NYC, Vegas and Arizona. I think I'll take the tripod for grand canyon etc, but whilst in NYC, I don't want to be in people's way with a Tripod, hence the idea of something small and compact for evening skyline shots

What set up is it going to support? The bigger Gorilla pods can keep a D800 + 24-70 still enough for exposures running into the minutes but the Pods are better suited to compacts. If you are at all handy you can make a Pod - make a bean bag as above then stick a short 1/4" WW machine screw through it. (easier to find than UNC).

iv'e got one of the pod reds and to be honest i don't find it very useful its just not stable enough with a DSLR attached to it
i put an old cd into the filling to try and keep the thing a bit more stable it helped but not enough

a regular bean bag is a much better option which i use quite a bit

Sorry, it'll just be supporting a Canon EOS 1100D and standard lens. Was hoping to get hold of a wide angled lens for more "inner city" shots.

Back