Got abit wet for this one!

Name
Elliott
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, decided to try out my new tripod, first go at anything like this!

Non of it is overly edited , just the b&w conversion as i used a few filter held in front of the camera and a small crop. Quite happy with how these have came out after climbing down into the river to take them! Let me know what you think....

9153394090_ff028b85d3_c.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0105 by Elliott Brown1, on Flickr[/IMG]

9151180809_711329f514_c.jpg
[/url]
IMG_0082 by Elliott Brown1, on Flickr[/IMG]

Last edited:
did you use a variable ND filter? Otherwise I do not understand the magenta cast; beside this, nice pics.

Yeah Nick spot on!

Just had a look at yours! Really like both!

As for the filters, i used 3 i think for that particular shot, one ND, one graduated ND and one graduated orange/red filter, just held together in front of the lens

yes your colour shot would benefit from natural tones
black to white is the way out of a lot of 'mistakes'

cheers
geof

yes your colour shot would benefit from natural tones
black to white is the way out of a lot of 'mistakes'

cheers
geof

It is, but it's also challenging to try to 'see' in b&w before you take the shot. There are so many things to learn in photography. Use of colour and light are a couple of the most important ones, but tones and contrast are also critical and these can be best learnt by looking for b&w opportunities IMHO.

As for the mono image, I think the area to the left of the falls is too blocked out. I'd have a look at backing off the contrast a little or using a little selective lightening to see if you can pull out more detail.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments!

I used the red/orange filters as it was a little darker allowing me to decrease my shutter speed just a little bit more to get a more silky looking water, it was my first time using any kind of filters so was all just an experiment really!

Now i look at it i agree about the area to the left, i wanted it dark to draw the eye to the waterfall itself but maybe over did it a little as it looks uneven compared to the other side!

Cheers, Ell

It is, but it's also challenging to try to 'see' in b&w before you take the shot.

i just take it in colour and try black to white out afterwards...sometimes i get a pleasant surprise to see the monotone throwing up more charisma than the true to life colour version
but i must admit i dont really 'see' black to white easily
some do and i envy them

cheers
geof

Back