Got any change...

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
No
Don't think I have posted in this section before...so a newbie this side of the forum ;) Here is my latest Portrait image I took last week of this old guy asking for change...I gave him 2Euro coin in return for 4 images which I think turned out to be a good deal!

1.JPG

Glad to hear that you made some sort of contribution to him.

Upward looking portraits aren't supposed to be 'correct' but it does no harm to break the 'rules'.

And in this case I think that it rather turns the tables as he (a person that most people would look down on) is now the one who is doing the 'looking down'. And if that argument holds any water the angle is about right too.

?did you ask him to give any particular type of expression, pose in any particular way etc - would be interested to know as eg the background is unobtrusive

As regards the B&W conversion the image generally seems brighter at the bottom than the top - which tends to focus attention on the bottom (in my view) and I would have thought you would want to focus attention on the top ie his face. Eg the handkerchief (at the bottom) is the brightest part of the image

(It's so much easier to comment on other people's images than it is to get your (my) own right:))

Glad to hear that you made some sort of contribution to him.

Upward looking portraits aren't supposed to be 'correct' but it does no harm to break the 'rules'.

And in this case I think that it rather turns the tables as he (a person that most people would look down on) is now the one who is doing the 'looking down'. And if that argument holds any water the angle is about right too.

?did you ask him to give any particular type of expression, pose in any particular way etc - would be interested to know as eg the background is unobtrusive

As regards the B&W conversion the image generally seems brighter at the bottom than the top - which tends to focus attention on the bottom (in my view) and I would have thought you would want to focus attention on the top ie his face. Eg the handkerchief (at the bottom) is the brightest part of the image

(It's so much easier to comment on other people's images than it is to get your (my) own right:))

Thanks for the detailed Critique Chris :) Regarding your comments I did not ask him to do any particular expressions or poses and he was standing in the same place all the time, He spoke Germany and my German isn't that good so just know enough to ask him permission to take some shots which he gladly excepted, He was standing in the middle of a small bridge with a dark park area background hence the dark OOF background, the light on his shirt at the bottom was a light hole coming though the trees so just a natural thing I guess :) Just to note also the image was taken in Nurnberg Germany

Thanks for your response Joe - maybe altering the light so that you can have it where you want it (in Post processing) is a useful tool to add to your armoury (if you don't already know how).

This link:

http://www.digitalmonochromeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?6218-Point-Light-Source

gives a method for (probably more subtle) changes that might be of interest. It uses NIK software but if you read the comments section lower down you will see a suggested way of doing it using masks.

If you want to develop your B&W more generally then the site could be valuable to you. Some of the stuff posted on there is outstanding.

Thanks for your response Joe - maybe altering the light so that you can have it where you want it (in Post processing) is a useful tool to add to your armoury (if you don't already know how).

This link:

http://www.digitalmonochromeforum.co.uk/showthread.php?6218-Point-Light-Source

gives a method for (probably more subtle) changes that might be of interest. It uses NIK software but if you read the comments section lower down you will see a suggested way of doing it using masks.

If you want to develop your B&W more generally then the site could be valuable to you. Some of the stuff posted on there is outstanding.

Thanks for the link mate, will have to check it out as I haven't done much editing with Portraits in B&W before, yet again thanks for your input :)

Like getting into Fort Knox that forum I am still stuck in 'a moderation queue'. Not had that with any other forum I have joined. Strikes me as a very elitist approach

Surprised and sorry to hear that. I didn't have any problem joining.

Maybe there is a delay due to holidays etc as it is run by a small number of people.

So far as I know I didn't have to go through 'moderation'.

Surprised and sorry to hear that. I didn't have any problem joining.

Maybe there is a delay due to holidays etc as it is run by a small number of people.

So far as I know I didn't have to go through 'moderation'.
Hey Chris, no need to apologise my friend. Maybe it is down to shear volume of new members joining, who knows. I have just had notification that I am good to go any way. It looks like a superb forum, I look forward to having a good look around. Thanks for the link.

Back