Got my new toy last night

Yes an Auto, DSG (Dual clutch) 6 speed

I'm sure they are 7 speed now? Mine (Astra) is a 6 speed transmission, but I was also looking at a Golf and A class, and both those are the 7 speed transmission). Went with a used astra due to "penny pitching" but am quite happy with it. It will do for about 3 years until the new Shape c class and e class become an affordable option on the used market.

I recently got a more practical estate version. I get 57 mpg and in sport mode it does make reasonable progress. However I hope your turbo lag is not as bad as mine!

Pretty good! My 2 liter diesel tends to get about 45 generally (my commute is mostly a roads)

I'm sure they are 7 speed now? Mine (Astra) is a 6 speed transmission, but I was also looking at a Golf and A class, and both those are the 7 speed transmission). Went with a used astra due to "penny pitching" but am quite happy with it. It will do for about 3 years until the new Shape c class and e class become an affordable option on the used market.

Depends what engine you have, small engines (1.4 petrol, 1.6 diesel etc) will be a 7 speed, bigger engines (2 litre petrols and diesels) are a 6 speed. 6 speed box can handle more torque than the 7 speed.

Dirty diesel though?

EURO 6 is crystal clear and clean, or so tell us the authorities and manufacturers. So please keep that to yourself. Thank you.

P.S. You will be delighted I just got an older V6 diesel in addition to the other 2. I will sleep well tonight. Oh and its a Jag.

Last edited:
Yes an Auto, DSG (Dual clutch) 6 speed

I recently also bought a new toy, with the same power train :) EA288 TDI engine with 6 speed wet-clutch DSG. But it hasn't got the prestigious badge though. It's only a Skoda Octavia.

I've been getting 55mpg. I find driving at "motorway speed" uses (10%+) more fuel than driving at 70. Whereas my old Mercedes coupe uses only a bit more fuel, certainly not 10%, or it'd drop below 40mpg. The car is too tall, not as aerodynamic as my old coupe.

Regarding choosing diesel and pollution:

The EA288 engine has not used cheating device. Diesels are everywhere (unfortunately), it's hard to find a good car that's NOT a diesel. For example, adaptive cruise control was a Must have for me, in second hand market, that means Golf Mk7 or diesels, people usually don't spec ACC with petrol. The VW 7 speed dry-clutch DSG used in 1.6 TDI and all petrols are said to be sealed for life but notoriously bad both reliability and smoothness. Also Golf don't have big enough boot for me.

For cutting pollution, it's equally important to not change cars as often. The ONLY reason I'm buying new "toy" is due to my need for rear car door and bigger boot. The coupe is still with the family, keeping it until buying a town EV, like Renault Zoe. I plan to keep the new car until I can get my hands on a Tesla Model 3.

Back