Grand Canyon

Some cracking shots there.

Remember to those folks who haven't goen yet that the West Rim is essentially a tourist ripoff/scam and to go to the South Rim (or even the North rim). You cannot get a helicopter from Vegas to the Canyon (South Rim) and will either need to get a plane to the local airport at the South Rim or drive (if doing a road trip).

Some cracking shots there.

Remember to those folks who haven't goen yet that the West Rim is essentially a tourist ripoff/scam and to go to the South Rim (or even the North rim). You cannot get a helicopter from Vegas to the Canyon (South Rim) and will either need to get a plane to the local airport at the South Rim or drive (if doing a road trip).

What's better about the north and south rims?

North rim is quite a journey, but much less tourism there, very baron in places. South rim has much more tourist interest... shops, visitor centre, viewing areas and trailheads.

Also, north rim is 8200ft whereas south rim is 7200.

Some would say so, we only flew over the north rim in a helicopter so can't speak for actually wandering about but it looked more of a wilderness than the hustle of Grand Canyon village on the south rim

I've done both north and south and I have no photographs of the north side which come anywhere near the ones I took on the south. I travelled to the main viewpoint northside, and to several others east of it, which required quite a bit of time and miles. It was ok, but unless you have plenty of spare time it's a lot of effort for little reward, and it's the south side every time.

Of course you'll find people who gush over the wonders and superiority of the northside, just like you'll find people who say that Shakespeare was the greatest ever writer and Ipads are the only tablets worth having.

The question is, I suppose, how much time you have. The north rim is a long long drive (even by North American standards) for a little more serenity. South rim is where the action is, and just (!) a few hours drive from Las Vegas.

we were there last year, it is an amazing place, we also saw yellowstone, south dakota, bryce canyon, monument valley...etc.. only had a compact still managed a few good shots, bought dslr with the oz trip later on in the year,

nice pic you took, sorry got a bit carried away :LOL:

Awesome shot, we turned down the opportunity to go there by helicopter when in Vegas back in 2002 on our honeymoon.

Before you all go "you did WHAT?" it was going to cost about £400 and we had spent a packet over the previous 3 weeks!

Wish I had done it now, couldn't you have posted a murky, blurry photo instead?!!

I've done both north and south and I have no photographs of the north side which come anywhere near the ones I took on the south. I travelled to the main viewpoint northside, and to several others east of it, which required quite a bit of time and miles. It was ok, but unless you have plenty of spare time it's a lot of effort for little reward, and it's the south side every time.

Of course you'll find people who gush over the wonders and superiority of the northside, just like you'll find people who say that Shakespeare was the greatest ever writer and Ipads are the only tablets worth having.

That's good to know. Do you have any shots of the north you could share with us?

The question is, I suppose, how much time you have. The north rim is a long long drive (even by North American standards) for a little more serenity. South rim is where the action is, and just (!) a few hours drive from Las Vegas.

How long are we talking? Over 5 hours?!
Do you have any shots you can share with us? This should be the dedicated thread for Grand Canyon shots.

we were there last year, it is an amazing place, we also saw yellowstone, south dakota, bryce canyon, monument valley...etc.. only had a compact still managed a few good shots, bought dslr with the oz trip later on in the year,

nice pic you took, sorry got a bit carried away :LOL:

Shame you only had a compact. Would love to see Yellowstone and Monument Valley.

Thanks! :)

Awesome shot, we turned down the opportunity to go there by helicopter when in Vegas back in 2002 on our honeymoon.

Before you all go "you did WHAT?" it was going to cost about £400 and we had spent a packet over the previous 3 weeks!

Wish I had done it now, couldn't you have posted a murky, blurry photo instead?!!

That's fair enough I suppose. I was very lucky to have it paid for (I was there with work) but I'd happily empty my bank account to go ahead. It was phenomenal.

I'll try find a really horrible view of it! Haha

My flickr has a set in it called USA...quite a few Grand canyon shots in there, amongst Monument valley, the national parks etc. When I'm back at a computer I'll post a couple of images, just can't figure it out on the iPhone!

That's good to know. Do you have any shots of the north you could share with us?

I've got a few from my trip in 2007. It was a hazy day and as such most are just really average snapshots. I have a busy weekend ahead but I might find a bit of time to post something late Sunday to give an idea of the general views possible. I'm not comfortable just jumping in to your thread and taking the attention off your photos unless you want to keep things here or start a new thread? Your decision.

Timescales, looking at the photos of the north side. I stayed in Kanab - one of the closest towns with motels. I was up at 4, set off at 5 in darkness. Entered the northern boundary of the park about 6.30. But it's a long drive before you see anything. My first real canyon shot was at 7.30. I took a fork off the main road and headed to the north eastern end. There isn't a huge amount to see, and then you've got to backtrack to get back to the main road which takes you to the north viewpoint. I stopped several times to take photos of areas of controlled forest burning by the roadside. I arrived at the north viewpoint at 11.00. You can take all the photos you want in just a few minutes. To be generous, say half an hour. By 13.30 I had exited the park and was on the road to Page, arriving there at 1700.

So in all, say 9 hours for the GC, and 3 to 4 hours to get to civilisation/accommodation with some stopping time for photos.

I was lucky enough to visit a couple of years ago, but I found it very difficult to shoot due to its sheer size. I got better pics from some of the smaller canyons or the scenery around Sedona and sunset rock. I'd love to go back again now I've had chance to get more familiar with my camera though.

Back