Granny!

Name
lee
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all. Been getting to grips with the new D300. I've been doing a bit of high key type baby stuff recently so for a bit of a change of pase thought I'd go to the other extreme. This is my g/fs gran.

I've been on the strobist blog and thought I'd have a play with hard light and a gaffer taps/cereal box snoot :) as I really wanted to try and bring out all the wrinkles and character to her face (every line tells a story kind of thing).

Problems I have with it are:
  1. Shadows from the glasses are are very pronounced (I suppose they were bound to be with this type of shot) but was wondering if I could have done anything to mitigate them without changing the mood and idea of the shot too much. I adjusted to angle I was shooting from slightly to make sure they weren't covering her eyes but would like to have toned them down a bit more..
  2. Highlights are quite hot at the hairline.
  3. Line of the back of the chair goes through her head, but I wanted her sitting in her arm chair so she was comfortable

Other than that I quite like, but would like to know if people agree with my initial thoughts about areas for improvent and have any other comments? :)

05.09.12_14.45.49.jpg by leetalb, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lee, your first post has already pointed out the issues....you've done our job for us :lol

i agree you can see the problems for yourself lee so not much more to add but a great effort non the less

lol. cheers guys, I do tend to be my own harshest critic, but from what I'm learning on here I would image someone will point me to something I've missed ;)

Back