Great Kit or the numpty behind the lens challenge - Sat 13th to Sun 28th September

After two years of finding the cheapest possible cameras for this challenge (first year I used a 99p camera from the local 99p store), I think that this year I'll look for one that's got some decent film in. Every little helps and I need all the help I can get!

They were next door to PoundLand for a while and I did think of taking on the adjacent unit to open a £1.99 store but I didn't want to price myself out of the market.

Ok folks, after a quick confab in the staffroom too, we have decided the two weeks I mentioned several posts back is the best way to go. It includes a couple of weekends for those that work regular hours, allows a couple of weeks for you to get hold of your chosen one use camera and we generally still get some good weather in September. I'll change the thread title and OP accordingly :D

I'm in.

What's the deal with disposable cameras - if I buy a B&W one, am I supposed to crack it open, process the film, and throw the rest away?

I'm in.

What's the deal with disposable cameras - if I buy a B&W one, am I supposed to crack it open, process the film, and throw the rest away?

Only if the desire so takes you, or you can send it into a lab to be done just like the colour ones ;)

For the filmies who normally develop their own btw, this was discussed last year, some people have actually done this, but you are advised to be aware of the risks as breaking them open can have issues, if I recall aright, because the flash has some high resistance capacitors in there or something like that. So if you do it, on your head be it! :p

I'm in and will try to be better organised this year and submit!

I just had a rummage around ebay, they are more expensive than I remember,
but I guess that's because they are being advertised as wedding "table" camera's ;)

Mind you if this bloody rain doesn't quit, I'll be buying an underwater one :D

I'll try and give this another go, maybe not deliberately try for distortion like last year!

I had great fun on holiday with a couple of kodak ones last year, £15 for the two.

They were next door to PoundLand for a while and I did think of taking on the adjacent unit to open a £1.99 store but I didn't want to price myself out of the market.

We have a Poundland - Last year a 99p store opened opposite and started a price war, The Pound shop got down to 94p per item and stuck 94p stickers over all the £1 signs on their advertising and shop signs.

Steve.

For the filmies who normally develop their own btw, this was discussed last year, some people have actually done this, but you are advised to be aware of the risks as breaking them open can have issues, if I recall aright, because the flash has some high resistance capacitors in there or something like that. So if you do it, on your head be it!

It's quite easy and you normally don't have to break it open. These cameras have a normal 35mm film cassette in them. The film is unwound onto a spool before you get it and as you use it, the film gets wound back into the cassette.
If you remove the card covering, you should be able to find a flap or door you can get the film out of - at least, that's how it was last time I did one.

Steve.

Reactions: Yv
It's quite easy and you normally don't have to break it open. These cameras have a normal 35mm film cassette in them. The film is unwound onto a spool before you get it and as you use it, the film gets wound back into the cassette.
If you remove the card covering, you should be able to find a flap or door you can get the film out of - at least, that's how it was last time I did one.

Steve.

Cool, thanks Steve, like I say, only mentioning something that cropped up last year, just to be on the safe side ;)

Umm sounds interesting only suggestion maybe run it at height of summer for better lighting conditions. :)

There's just as much nice light in winter. Perhaps more so.

I'm up for this.

@Yv

Can I use a pinhole camera?

I don't suppose it winds back to leave the leader out does it?? I could try it in my new daylight tank if it does :)

I don't suppose it winds back to leave the leader out does it?? I could try it in my new daylight tank if it does :)
If you don't keep winding after the last frame you'll keep the leader though you might lose the last few frames.

There's maybe a different game in there. MYO Pinhole and see the results.

Surely a box with a hole in it is as simple as a camera gets. That's in keeping with the challenge isn't it?

There's just as much nice light in winter. Perhaps more so.

I'm up for this.

@Yv

Can I use a pinhole camera?

That is true but based on recent days here where it is grey and dull and very flat lighting for the last 2 weeks.

That is true but based on recent days here where it is grey and dull and very flat lighting for the last 2 weeks.

Flat can be nice :)

Surely a box with a hole in it is as simple as a camera gets. That's in keeping with the challenge isn't it?

There can be pretty big differences between pinholes but single use cameras are pretty much identical. The way I've always thought of this is the closest thing to standardised gear you're likely to get. Even once you get into film choice and development options.

Not to someone with not a great deal of experience. :) wouldn't know what type of shots to get with flat light.

Isn't the point of this competition to demonstrate that it's the skill of the person wielding the camera and not the camera itself? If you don;t know what kind of shots to get with flat light, then that's your problem :) (meant in the nicest possible way)

I think we probably need to keep it to the one use cameras for this one, but happy to have you all aboard, this should could really interesting methinks :)

No probs. I just had a pinhole camera kit someone bought me here. never used it.... thought this may be a nice time to put it to use.

No probs. I just had a pinhole camera kit someone bought me here. never used it.... thought this may be a nice time to put it to use.

I think that might well be an idea for another challenge, seen such kits and really fancy having a go.

TinTin, there are some subjects that are much easier with flat light, especially on such basic kit, so don't despair, just look around you a bit more, maybe do something you wouldn't normally do ;)

Yvonne's right. Bright Sunny days are a MUCH bigger challenge to limited equipment.

Interesting imagery doesn't mean "wow".

Isn't the point of this competition to demonstrate that it's the skill of the person wielding the camera and not the camera itself? If you don;t know what kind of shots to get with flat light, then that's your problem :) (meant in the nicest possible way)

Can't really comment on this... I'm doing this just to see what I can do with the limited kit and see what my natural ability is which is the point of the competition in my eyes. Guess that is what you are saying! But you know what they say about assumption.

Can't really comment on this... I'm doing this just to see what I can do with the limited kit and see what my natural ability is which is the point of the competition in my eyes. Guess that is what you are saying! But you know what they say about assumption.

do what you want, feel comfortable with, and have some fun ;) Oh and remember, these things usually have a minimum focal distrance of about a metre if I recall.

I have decided to go with the straightforward Kodak ones this time, have played around in past years with Rollei Crossbird and majorly out of date film in uber cheap versions, so going for the 'highstreet' bog standard for a change. Also had a brainwave today of about one of the locations I am going to use, if I get time to get over there.

Now then, as an aside and as I am posting after midnight, get out of here filks, grab your big cameras, go and take some photos! Today is TP Day, we want to see a photo from all of you pretty please :D

Just a little heads up, Maco Direct in Germany have got some cheap single use cameras at the moment, obviously delivery adds a bit to the price but if you're buying film and other stuff it's worth adding a couple to the basket. http://www.macodirect.de/single-camera-c-706_551.html
They're a really helpful bunch and deliver in a couple of days.

Can I join in please, sounds like fun.

Back