Great Nebula In Orion - M42

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
First time I have ever seen this nebula, so my very first photo of it. It wasn't my intended target so only a few frames before I had to call it a day...Astrophotography is seriously addictive and seriously frustrating at the same time.

Taken from a fairly darkish site in Lincolnshire, although this object is so bright almost anywhere will do barring heavily light polluted city centres.

More details and larger version by clicking on the photo.

An excellent image.... and really helpful to have included some extra details...thanks for sharing it.

Fantastic image, I so want to get into this sort of thing, what is your setup?

I can only echo this request...I have a 7D but surely you did not use this with a "normal" lens.

Wonderful images.
Keith (y)

words to sum this pic up are NSFW but starts with F and with G and got Amazing after it cracking shot (y)

Thanks guys, this was taken with a "normal" Canon 500mm lens, fitted to the 7D. The main item needed is a tracking mount. I used an Astrotrac for this, since I already had the camera kit, tripods and heads I wanted to use it all as much as possible.

I bought a 2nd hand Astrotrac so it was quite a cheap route into this.

Of course I'd like to go bigger mount wise in the near future for longer exposures.

You can get some decent shots of deep sky objects with just about any lens as some are huge in the sky.

Gorgeous image. Lovely.

Thanks guys, this was taken with a "normal" Canon 500mm lens, fitted to the 7D. The main item needed is a tracking mount. I used an Astrotrac for this, since I already had the camera kit, tripods and heads I wanted to use it all as much as possible.

I bought a 2nd hand Astrotrac so it was quite a cheap route into this.

Of course I'd like to go bigger mount wise in the near future for longer exposures.

You can get some decent shots of deep sky objects with just about any lens as some are huge in the sky.

Thanks for the info...
Keith (y)

Wow absolutely amazing photo. Love the colours!

Quite literally out of this world :p

I'm astonished. especially with the equipment used. Stunning work

I am also surprised what can be achieved with "regular" camera kit. If I had known, I would have been doing this for years :bonk:

I've read your description on Flickr and still don't understand how it was created! :)
It's absolutely fantastic... Incredible.

Basically a lot of 1 minute exposures stacked together and then processed.

That is phenomenal. I'd be very proud!

Wow absolutely amazing photo. Love the colours!
Quite literally out of this world :p

Thanks everyone :wave:

Back