Critique Great Spotted Woodpecker with chick

Nice find, I also love #4 :)

Nice set Nigel (y) Number 4 got a loving smile and a big Awww from my missus.:)

Nigel it's lovely to watch this isn't it:)

Cool work, I think you might look at how you frame a picture as a next step,they all seem to be made using center point?? ,move those fp's mate;)

stu

I think you might look at how you frame a picture as a next step,they all seem to be made using center point?? ,move those fp's mate;)

stu

In this instance I don’t think it matters and actually the central framing works very well.

As the saying goes, “rules are for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of the fool” (or something like that).

Superb to see Nigel and always great to capture such moments (y)

Its also good that you've asked for C&C and I agree with Stu, composition could be better.

It's not always about rules and we don't always have time to change focus point, so a quick crop can make a better composition, making the photo more pleasing to the eye.

I've cropped a couple to give you an idea. To me, the crops improve the composition, obviously these are only my opinion and not everyone will agree :)

The two of the adult feeding the chick might crop into portrait but I'm not a fan of portrait for wild birds, Stu @Stuart Philpott won't agree :p :D

41817678625_a195238a84_b cropped.jpg

40907341090_57a8bf0d52_b cropped.jpg

Nigel,there is one thing for sure here as you can see from the posts above framing is very much an each to there own thang,were they all shot on center point mate ?? Do you move focal points about when framing??

Ned Toni I'm not much one for rules,didn't even muse ROT (rule of thirds presumably?) I just felt that Nigel's images were all shot on center and maybe it might help him by thinking about how he can best frame his image by moving FP's tis all. I don't agree with you guys personally I feel some of these frames could be improved some I love the center framing ,but all no, not so much......................... but as already said each to their own,:)it would be damn boring if we all took images in the same way. !! I'll tell you why I chimed in lads:I see this focal point moving and the flipping of the camera as a really useful skillset of a wildlife image maker to learn. I am not in any way proficient at it myself especially at speed but I genuinely do think it is overlooked and worth raising for the next guy. i've seen so many folks frame in landscape and then crop to portraiit to present. This seems mad to me ,we throw so much away as an example,but no not thinking rules at all,but I'll be ya fool Ned:D

Oh,mate, Phil ( bless him ) and I have a running joke about portrait being for jesses' lmao,:D I do like portrait hence the poky tongue,he's not having a pop at me,at all just taking the mick,which i'm well up for It's nice to be able to have a crack and learn especially with crit
Phil cheers not only for the laugh:cool:,but also helping Nigel along one day I'll be able to do that,thanks buddy!!

I would prefer those two feeding images shot in portait,not cropped from landscape I might add ;),

Lovely set Nige,thrilled you posted them. I showed this to me cared for guy(RIP bro) ,sat him under a tree just out of hos poor sod:( Big mug of tea, comfy chair, in the middle of an incredible wildflower.meadow that hasn't been ploughed for 100years plus. The look on his face was brilliant,I left him to sit and watch all quiet like as mum miight have been bothered by two of us and snapped a couple of orchids:rolleyes: Your post has taken me right back, to that afternoon and that look of wonder on his face Thank you Nigel !!!!!!!!

cheers all
take care

stu

Love these, 4 made me chuckle :D

Thanks, I liked 4 for the same reason :)

Nice find, I also love #4 :)

Nice set Nigel (y) Number 4 got a loving smile and a big Awww from my missus.:)

Thanks, always good to an aaawww :)

Nigel it's lovely to watch this isn't it:)

Cool work, I think you might look at how you frame a picture as a next step,they all seem to be made using center point?? ,move those fp's mate;)

stu

Thanks for your comments Stuart they are all cropped from the original but can where you are coming from but 4 and 5 I purposefully left dead center as too me they seemed to work better but do normally try and move my points about a bit if you check out my Flickr :)

In this instance I don’t think it matters and actually the central framing works very well.

As the saying goes, “rules are for the guidance of the wise and the obedience of the fool” (or something like that).

Thanks Ned, as you say rules are there for gudance or to be broken :)

Good set of images of something I've not seen happening before, so thanks for sharing. I don't have a problem with the framing, especially with #4 which is the standout one on many levels, and really suits being dead centre.

Thanks for your comments thought they were worth sharing.

The framing works well in all cases here - ROT is a guide only.

Thanks that’s what I thought :)

Superb to see Nigel and always great to capture such moments (y)

Its also good that you've asked for C&C and I agree with Stu, composition could be better.

It's not always about rules and we don't always have time to change focus point, so a quick crop can make a better composition, making the photo more pleasing to the eye.

I've cropped a couple to give you an idea. To me, the crops improve the composition, obviously these are only my opinion and not everyone will agree :)

The two of the adult feeding the chick might crop into portrait but I'm not a fan of portrait for wild birds, Stu @Stuart Philpott won't agree :p :D

View attachment 128386

View attachment 128388

Thanks for taking the time to comment with suggestions I can see where your coming from , also see what you say about a portrait version of the feeding not sure but will have a play and see what it looks like.

Nigel,there is one thing for sure here as you can see from the posts above framing is very much an each to there own thang,were they all shot on center point mate ?? Do you move focal points about when framing??

Ned Toni I'm not much one for rules,didn't even muse ROT (rule of thirds presumably?) I just felt that Nigel's images were all shot on center and maybe it might help him by thinking about how he can best frame his image by moving FP's tis all. I don't agree with you guys personally I feel some of these frames could be improved some I love the center framing ,but all no, not so much......................... but as already said each to their own,:)it would be damn boring if we all took images in the same way. !! I'll tell you why I chimed in lads:I see this focal point moving and the flipping of the camera as a really useful skillset of a wildlife image maker to learn. I am not in any way proficient at it myself especially at speed but I genuinely do think it is overlooked and worth raising for the next guy. i've seen so many folks frame in landscape and then crop to portraiit to present. This seems mad to me ,we throw so much away as an example,but no not thinking rules at all,but I'll be ya fool Ned:D

Oh,mate, Phil ( bless him ) and I have a running joke about portrait being for jesses' lmao,:D I do like portrait hence the poky tongue,he's not having a pop at me,at all just taking the mick,which i'm well up for It's nice to be able to have a crack and learn especially with crit
Phil cheers not only for the laugh:cool:,but also helping Nigel along one day I'll be able to do that,thanks buddy!!

I would prefer those two feeding images shot in portait,not cropped from landscape I might add ;),

Lovely set Nige,thrilled you posted them. I showed this to me cared for guy(RIP bro) ,sat him under a tree just out of hos poor sod:( Big mug of tea, comfy chair, in the middle of an incredible wildflower.meadow that hasn't been ploughed for 100years plus. The look on his face was brilliant,I left him to sit and watch all quiet like as mum miight have been bothered by two of us and snapped a couple of orchids:rolleyes: Your post has taken me right back, to that afternoon and that look of wonder on his face Thank you Nigel !!!!!!!!

cheers all
take care

stu

Hi Stu, thanks for your comments yes these were all shot center point mainly due to the very short time frame I had to frame the shots as I didn’t have my tripod with me so had to get them in the frame each time so it was quicker and easier to use the center point to give me more of chance of getting them :) I do normally try and move my focus points about.

Glad I was able to brink back some nice memories for you by posting them, to me that makes these very worth while if someone gets that from any of my shots , can only apologise for the poor framing

Thanks again one and all for your comments all very useful.

Back