Beginner Great Tit posing

Nice shot Steve. You really got the colours to pop.

Morning Steve, you've prefixed as beginner so I'm presuming you're after some honest feedback and advice, its not the easiest pose to get spot on due to the shallow dof :)

The shot does look soft around the head/eye area and sharper on the chest feathers, its one of two things, the obvious being missed focus. Checking the focus point in play back will confirm either way (y)

The other could be down to the 1/500th shutter speed. On small, fast moving birds 1/1250 would be minimum for me, I'm not saying its not possible at 1/500th but higher will increase your keeper rate.

Looking at the exif, 1/1250 would have put the ISO up to a 1000, that should be fine on close shots like this.

I've also done a quick edit, dropping the highlights in the white head feathers and yellow breast,possibly a tad too much but at least it shows there is detail there. Then I've done a little selective sharpening around the eye/head.

It does look to have increased noise to the bg but that's easily reduced using the Nik Dfine add on, all my editing is done using Elements 14.

If you'd like to know in more detail what I've done just ask (y)

Edit No point me leaving it like that so here's the edit with the reduced noise just to the back ground

34367521452_0b85e7ef23_k 1 nr.jpg

Last edited:
Nice clean background Steve, and there is interest in the pose as he looks for the next snack.

I'd echo Phils critique, for me the focus appears sharper around the feet than the head. When going for perched birds I'd strongly recommend just having one focus point in use which you need to try and hit the eye with.

Learn to move the focus point around the fame - and be aware it isn't the easiest technique to pick up overnight! However once you learn to do it you'll find the placement of the bird better in the frame and if its a tightly framed shot ten this can make a big difference.

After that, Phils processing work had shown the shot still has more potential. Depending upon how far you're into photography its something that needs learning at some point for the best image quality, but if you're at the beginner stage then just concentrate on getting the best possible file to work with as you should always be working hard to get as much right in camera as possible.

All said and done, its a pleasing pose - lets see some more

Mike

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.
A little background for you. The shot was taken at Watt Tyler country park, from a hide, about 15 feet from the bird. Taken on my ex D5300 and Tamron 150 - 600 lens. If I remember correctly, I was on spot metering and of course, as we know, birds do not hang around for too long. I thought that I captured the birds eye quite good, but that puts the rest out of focus. Then, I processed in Lightroom 6 - something that I am still trying to get to grips with. So, if that scenario were to happen again, or in the field, what would you suggest? AP, manual or shutter?
Phil - D , your editing is great and thank you - something that as a 64 year old, need to get to grips with.
Pooley, your comments are good and you are right. I need ( and really want ) to learn more.
I now have a D800 and going to get to grips with the settings. I'll ask lots of questions on here ( a brilliant site, with brilliant people ) I WILL take better photos, but it might take time.
Thanks once again .

Spot metering is fine Steve. The thing with metering is they all work, you just need to learn your camera and have a good idea when the meter is being fooled.

I would say use manual, with shutter set to around 1/1250th and aperture to f8 for small birds, high shutter speed because they move fast, f8 giving a touch more dof. Set ISO to auto, then all you'll have to do is dial in some +/- compensation depending on light conditions and colour of bird.

If you're happy shooting wide open, select shutter priority, again auto ISO with a ss as above, with +/- compensation

As for the editing, I'm 52 meself Steve (I know I look younger ;)) To me, computers are just a higher form of intelligence that take the p!$$ :D the last thing I am is computer literate, but with help from members on here, Mike being one, I've learned loads in the last 12 months and realised pp'ing isn't as hard as I used to think :)

Anything you want to know just ask, there's plenty willing to help, as Mike says, keep posting (y)

Spot metering is fine Steve. The thing with metering is they all work, you just need to learn your camera and have a good idea when the meter is being fooled.

I would say use manual, with shutter set to around 1/1250th and aperture to f8 for small birds, high shutter speed because they move fast, f8 giving a touch more dof. Set ISO to auto, then all you'll have to do is dial in some +/- compensation depending on light conditions and colour of bird.

If you're happy shooting wide open, select shutter priority, again auto ISO with a ss as above, with +/- compensation

As for the editing, I'm 52 meself Steve (I know I look younger ;)) To me, computers are just a higher form of intelligence that take the p!$$ :D the last thing I am is computer literate, but with help from members on here, Mike being one, I've learned loads in the last 12 months and realised pp'ing isn't as hard as I used to think :)

Anything you want to know just ask, there's plenty willing to help, as Mike says, keep posting (y)
Hiya Phil and thanks for your reply. I have noted your settings and will give them a try - thanks.
Going to Brands on the weekend and giving the 'new' camera a try.
52? pah, I have a packet of fags as old as you ;)
Thanks Phil
:nikon:

Back