Critique Greenfinch - MK II added

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

A Greenfinch stopped by in the garden. Happy to take crit' as always, the green FG is a shrub I was behind, trying not to spook him.

Went for a square crop as I felt it suited better, happy to hear thoughts.

High SS as he is a fidget ;)

Thank you for looking

1/1250 - f5.6 - ISO 2000 - FF 600mm

Greenfinch by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
Certainly sharp enough where it should be Gav.

Lovely to see, not many around nowadays.

Encouraging to see one in the area Gav, would love to see one, I have my fingers crossed.

I think that works really well Gav. I think the foreground and the effect it's had gives the picture a little something different and the most important areas are clear and sharp anyway :D

Encouraging to see one in the area Gav, would love to see one, I have my fingers crossed.
I agree, if I can locate an area for them I'll let you know, we have one pair visit our garden, but the male stops by far more often.

I think that works really well Gav. I think the foreground and the effect it's had gives the picture a little something different and the most important areas are clear and sharp anyway :D
Thank you, Alan :) I felt it added a little 'depth' but I know it's not to everyones taste.

Gorgeous and sharp! The one thing I would potentially change is maybe some of the colours in the background. Because the subject, foreground, and background are the same colour and the saturation of the background is higher than the bird themself it can be a little distracting to the eye. Other than that it's brilliant!

Gorgeous and sharp! The one thing I would potentially change is maybe some of the colours in the background. Because the subject, foreground, and background are the same colour and the saturation of the background is higher than the bird themself it can be a little distracting to the eye. Other than that it's brilliant!
I agree, the finch looks fantastic

Hi, welcome to TP :)

Thank you for the feedback, I appreciate it, I will look at the edit to see if I can do something with it (y)

That’s perfect! Now the colours compliment it so well, you don’t lose the idea that they are meant to be somewhat camouflaged but they still stand out as the subject :)
Thank you, I will keep an eye on things like that in the future

Thank you again for looking back at this and for leaving feedback once again, I really appreciate it (y)

Thank you, I will keep an eye on things like that in the future

Thank you again for looking back at this and for leaving feedback once again, I really appreciate it (y)
More than happy to! I hope you’re pleased with the change too, this is all just personal opinion :)

Back