Grey Import Talk Again !

Edit My Images
No
hi Guys ,

I have seen this topic has been mentioned a few tiimes but didnt see any pointers to a question I.

I have bought a grey import camera a Canon 700d to be exact.

My question is this : Has anyone registered a grey Camera with Canon ? If yes would you register with the Canon site of the country you imported from ?

Is there a way to know from Canon which country the Camera belongs to ?

Usually the supplier provides a third party warranty within the country purchased from.
This is because the UK isn't the only place you can buy a grey import.
Generally a grey import is something a supplier buys in via a non producers official outlet, it doesn't have to be a camera.
If the supplier hasn't given a third party warranty there are places you can get them from or at the very least you can insure it which
usually has some sort of clause which says if it can be mended that's what is paid for rather than a replacement thus working exactly
as a warranty in the end, so all good.
I have purchased grey imports from HDEW based in Surrey & they provide a third party UK based warranty.

So basically your camera is exactly the same as any other 700d from Canon wherever bought from just no warranty.
So do some research & buy either a warranty or insurance, if the insurance has the mend if can be clause that would be the better option
as it can if the right type of insurance include theft or loss which of course a warranty won't.

Thnaks for the reply .. Am going to definitely look for a decent insurance as this was my second camera .. my 600d was stolen :*(

When you bought using some of these grey sites , was the product seal packed when it arrived ?

I ask because the box in which I got my camera was for a 700d with 18-55 but it had a 700d with 18-135 ( which is what i ordered )

I guess what i want to know is ... is that something which all grey importers like hdew , Digital Rev etc have in common ( no seals on the box ) ?
I bought mine from Portus Digital..

They will often open the box to remove the warranty card and sometime put their own in.

Also it looks like for yours they have split a kit ie one with the 18-55 lens to swap it for the 18-135 you ordered.

They will often split kits to make it cheaper I. E. It's normally cheaper to get kits and sell off the body and kit lens separately.

If they hadn't opened your they wouldn't have been able to remove the 18-55 lens.

Sometimes they will also add in thing like (1) the correct manual, (2) correct plug or a UK adaptor etc

The box I received came unsealed but had no signs of being opened via the 'tucked in' cardboard lip securing the lid.
The box was in extremely good & very new looking condition, I had no reason to expect the lens a Canon 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM
was-is anything but brand new.
Secondly I received it days after ordering which strongly suggests their claim of UK stock to be true.

Referring to your opened box & the lens mentioned on the box I feel Mike's comments to be very accurate.

Thnaks for the reply .. Am going to definitely look for a decent insurance as this was my second camera .. my 600d was stolen :*(

When you bought using some of these grey sites , was the product seal packed when it arrived ?

I ask because the box in which I got my camera was for a 700d with 18-55 but it had a 700d with 18-135 ( which is what i ordered )

I guess what i want to know is ... is that something which all grey importers like hdew , Digital Rev etc have in common ( no seals on the box ) ?
I bought mine from Portus Digital..
House content insurance would be the most cost effective. I just did a quick quote for mine, it was around £100/year, but my gear is in the thousands. The only thing to watch out is the exclusion I.e. if you left the camera bag unattended then got nicked which may not be insured.

Back