Guinness Premiership - Harlequins v Gloucester

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
A beautiful day with the sun shining and actually feeling warm meant I packed light and went up on my motorbike with everything in a smallish backpack. This is definitely the way to travel to any decent-sized sporting event - you can leave late and know you're going to get there on time, and then park straight outside the venue.

The good light meant that I went for my 300mm 2.8 with the 1.4x extender on giving a 420mm F4. Whilst 300mm is an excellent range, you do miss quite a bit of action around halfway when sitting at the end. However, if shooting from the side the 300 is excellent.

Another interesting challenge was that the strong sunlight brought big shadows (which I planned to use to my advantage as the afternoon wore on). However, going from 1/5000th in the sun to 1/500th in the shade meant I was happy to put it in Av mode and let the camera sort things out. I'd positioned my stool early, a bit like the Germans and their towels, to have a minimum of potential of players in shadow and the stand behind in bright sun with all the exposure issues that results in.

#1 Obligatory manager shots for stock archive
477863048_ZsHM3-M.jpg

477865375_8b5pr-M.jpg

#3 I'm sure they send these on to distract all the photographers
477865039_gjEUd-M.jpg

#4 Andy Gomarsall had an excellent game as usual. I was shooting tethered to my laptop for all the in-game action which lets me scan the shots full-screen when the action is down the other end, pick the best ones, then crop, adjust etc before sending them off. I use Canon Utilities for the tethering, and the pics are auto-imported straight into Lightroom with keywording, IPTC data etc, and then I use the Lightroom FTP export plugin to zap the pics off. The import function includes addition of a tadge of clarity & contrast during the import which saves me doing it manually, leaving a simple crop and player identification as the only manual tasks. Very clean and simple workflow that is fast & efficient.
477866281_gUzNH-M.jpg

#5 Eye there Jim lad. Strange expressions are great.
477867583_ccqbU-M.jpg

#6 Gloucester have to be one of the most agressive & physical sides I've seen this season.
477868260_ZKkyz-M.jpg

#7 I'm always on the look-out for interesting stock shots of players. The late sun was shining in a rather cool shaft across the pitch so whenever a player walked into it I'd dial down -2 exposure comp and take their picture. You end up with shots like this which are very cool.
477871470_dVBMa-M.jpg

#8 Harlequins scored a try with 5 mins to go to win the game. I'd removed the extender by this time so had the right reach for the close stuff.
477871922_XADkA-M.jpg

#9 After the try I packed up and moved to the sidelines to get some pics of the managers. I wanted to have both of them in shot. A bit still to learn here as I'd left the aperture on 2.8 when it really should have been 5.6 or smaller. Still, Dean Richards is so recognisable in profile it still (just) works. Another lesson learnt.
477873000_Fe8MK-M.jpg

Cheers

Tobers

Great photos as always, especially like #6, you've caught the different expressions well there (y)

What's the exif on these as I'd like to see if I can get the same (or as close) quality when I go to London Irish next week

Great set and thanks for interesting insight into your matchday workflow.

When the action is at the other end I tend to have a sup of my pint and a bit of banter with the other spectators!!!

Love #4 and #6. Good mix of action with superb facial expressions. T'was a good day for Rugby shooting yesterday!

What's the exif on these as I'd like to see if I can get the same (or as close) quality when I go to London Irish next week

All at max lens aperture so 2.8 or 4 depending on whether I had the extender on or not. ISO at 200 to begin with then up to 500 later on. Shutter speed never lower than 1/500th for the action (tweaking ISO to increase it if required).

So nice not to be using ISO 1600 or 3200 and to have some sun.

like no 5 and 6

5 obligatory coloured boots for a full back and no 6 obviously grimmacing how he was caught in the tackle.

interesting explaination of work flow, something to try this summer at cricket, enough time to practice before next rugby season.

how do you protect your laptop pitchside in winter ?

Last edited:
how do you protect your laptop pitchside in winter ?

If its raining I use the old fashioned method of deleting bad shots in-camera and then sorting out the pics afterwards in the dry. I did think about a waterproof Panasonic Toughbook but I'll need to wait for some back page publication for that!

All at max lens aperture so 2.8 or 4 depending on whether I had the extender on or not. ISO at 200 to begin with then up to 500 later on. Shutter speed never lower than 1/500th for the action (tweaking ISO to increase it if required).

So nice not to be using ISO 1600 or 3200 and to have some sun.

Thank you :D:D

Good set as usual,(y)
I quite like #9, as you say Deano being a bit of an icon,is still recognisable.

Back