Gull I.D.

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been trying to figure out what this gull is since last Friday. I initially thought it must be a juvenile Black-headed gull but even on first seeing it I thought there was something different about it. I have myself convinced it's not a Black-headed or Common gull but that probably means that it is one of either. Pics are terrible but hopefully somebody can I.D. it.

Looks like a young herring gull. Going by the feathers starting to show on the wing.

Last edited:
Hi Fergie. Where did you see these birds? It seems that at least one of them has been ringed but can't be absolutely certain from the shots you have posted. Can you tell from your original?

Hi Fergie. Where did you see these birds? It seems that at least one of them has been ringed but can't be absolutely certain from the shots you have posted. Can you tell from your original?

Evening, Steve. It's the same gull in all the pics, apart from the Black-headed that's also in one of them. Aye mate it was ringed. The pics were taken at Sandy Bay, Larne, Co.Antrim. N.I.

fergie said:
Evening, Steve. It's the same gull in all the pics, apart from the Black-headed that's also in one of them. Aye mate it was ringed. The pics were taken at Sandy Bay, Larne, Co.Antrim. N.I.

Well, my best guess would be a juv Mediterranean Gull based on the following: dark legs, shape and color of the bill, the lack of a distinctive white leading edge of the Blacked Headed Gull and the fact that it has been ringed; I could be wrong but I am not aware the the BHG is of huge interest enough to have such heave leg wear! That's my two penny worth. Let's see if others can suggest anything else. Nice action shot BTW.

I can certainlly see the idea of it being a 1st winter Med Gull, but I'm inclined toward it being a 1st winter BH Gull from the size of the area of brown feathers on the wing in the last photo, but I have to admit the legs look too dark.

Dave

Easy solution is to post it on the Wild About Britain bird ID forum and you will get the definitive answer in no time.

Thanks everybody for your input. Bit of a head scratcher ain't it :) I'll post it up on Wild about Britain shortly. Cheers.

would go along with med gull. Think a 1st winter common would have more markings on the underwing and no dark marking behind the eye

would go along with med gull. Think a 1st winter common would have more markings on the underwing and no dark marking behind the eye

Thanks everybody for your input. Bit of a head scratcher ain't it :) I'll post it up on Wild about Britain shortly. Cheers.

Definitely a Med' Gull.

Not a shadow of doubt.

A Mediterranean Gull it is. (y)

Med gull.

Thanks, folks. I posted it up on Wild About Britain and they also confirmed it. A first for me so I'm a wee but chuffed :D

fergie said:
Thanks, folks. I posted it up on Wild About Britain and they also confirmed it. A first for me so I'm a wee but chuffed :D

Well done Fergie. Glad you got a definitive answer. The guys on WAB certainly know their stuff!

Back