Hadrians Wall

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
I was up in the lakes last week and poped up to the closest part and took this

DSC_4780 by +1 Rob, on Flickr

I would be happy for any C&C as I want to improve.

I like the strong composition the positioning of the elements with in the fram is great with the wall forming a perfect lead in. I can't put my finger on why but it lacks that certain something to give it real impact maybe just a different time of day and different light required to give it more punch.

a1ex2001 said:
I like the strong composition the positioning of the elements with in the fram is great with the wall forming a perfect lead in. I can't put my finger on why but it lacks that certain something to give it real impact maybe just a different time of day and different light required to give it more punch.

Thanks, I was thinking the wall itself should make a good lead in line, unfortunately the time of day was not something I had a great deal of control over as the Mrs would not have been impressed if I'd turfed her out of bed whilst it was still dark!

You don't think it's left heavy with those trees on the left and just the grass this side of the wall?

I keep looking at this and there is just something niggling me about it but cant put my finger on what!
Maybe try cropping the bottom up to the bottom of the wall in the left corner and take a little off the right, not quite flush up to the stones on the right half way up. Might just help 'balance' it a little. Just my thoughts and might not look right but thought I would share :shrug:

I have to agree. It's a sound image, but there's just something missing which means the image doesn't really grab at me.

I hope you don't mind me being a little harsh but I feel your pain with this shot also. I live near the lakes and take dozens of photos that 'just don't do it somehow'
For me, it's a perfectly good shot, well exposed but there is no point of focus - no subject as such. Sure, you've got the wall but not much about the wall really draws me to it for interest. It's just there. Instead I look at the empty foreground and keep expecting to see something there instead or not have it at all. Perhaps then a tighter crop. A little off the RHS and similarly off the bottom. That would bring the wall in the foreground to fill the shot a little more - have something to really look at - and you still keep that lovely snake of the wall into the distance and the moody sky. Just a thought - if it was my shot...

Can see what people are saying here - for me it's the way the "lead in" wall stops suddenly and your eye has to double back to then follow the nicely flowing wall off into the distance - it's discontinuous. Maybe moving a bit to the right would have given you a viewpoint where a more flowing front to back view of the wall could have been achieved. Would have shown off the spot-on exposure that you've achieved!

Thanks everyone for their ideas and feedback so far. I've tried cropping and also made a tweek to the white balance and would appreciate to know what you think :)

DSC_4780a by +1 Rob, on Flickr

Personally, I think that is a better crop. I feel like I'm looking at something more specific now. And I can also see what Chris is saying regarding the 'flow' of the wall. I guess the thing is, this is the shot you have and you have to make the most of it. I'd say this is a more pleasing shot (y)

Personally, I think that is a better crop. I feel like I'm looking at something more specific now. And I can also see what Chris is saying regarding the 'flow' of the wall. I guess the thing is, this is the shot you have and you have to make the most of it. I'd say this is a more pleasing shot (y)

Cheers, I'm happier with it now as well :)

Back