Critique Hare in first light - Yet another edit in post, Sorry

Gav.

Challenge Owner
Name
Gav
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I found this hare just as the sun was coming up :)

Any feed back welcome

New Edit post #10 and another in #15 - sorry

Thank you for looking

Gav

Hare in first light by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well spotted :)

Gav are you cropping your images a lot ? I ask as some seem to lack some punch . Maybe upping the contrast may help , but my enhancement skills are a bit dire . I assume as he is standing , he has clocked you or something he not to happy about , I like seeing them pose this way , but am also some what disappointed when it happens to me as it likely means I have spooked the Hare .

Gav are you cropping your images a lot ? I ask as some seem to lack some punch . Maybe upping the contrast may help , but my enhancement skills are a bit dire . I assume as he is standing , he has clocked you or something he not to happy about , I like seeing them pose this way , but am also some what disappointed when it happens to me as it likely means I have spooked the Hare .
Hi, thank you for the feed back

Lacking punch - I think it's my fault either editing or camera use (probably both ;)) on this one I failed to adjust the metering mode it was a spot on the hare :banghead:

Cropping - I try to do as little as possible, but trimmed this one to apply the rule of 3rds, as I just wanted to get the shot and knew I could trim later

Hares pose - I was laying in the long grass at the top corner of the field (their home is the opposite lower corner), this hare was alone and moving up to my location, there are normally 2 together, I'm not sure where the other one is. It didn't appear to be bothered but yes I think it may have heard me lift the camera slightly higher in the grass but he/she never looked at me, it stayed for a bit before moving on across the field :)

90D - F5.6 - 600mm - 1/800 - ISO 1250 (Sorry I keep forgetting these details)

Re-edit and straight out of camera images below, hope I understood what you ment :)

Gav

Re-edit

Hare in first light
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Straight from camera - jpeg from RAW conversion only

IMG_6873 no edit

Gav, I think the thing that draws my attention is the OOF grass on both sides of the frame. Perhaps in future try to watch out for this. Good effort!

Gav crop wise i'd have cut in just right of the.... is it a dry nettle stem from last year ? ,that bright upwards stem is such a distraction bro...( Des has beaten me too that I ran off mid post to see a mummy frog carrying a tapole and depositing it (y) :D :cool: so cool hope she carries the other 3.....soz bud I still get silly excited)

Anyways

..mate a personal view forget about rules treat each image on it's merits do what pleases your eyes buddy it's your fun (y) I also agree with Des it is a cool effort mate it's lovely catching a hare upright like this........I hear Mark's mixed emotion to that response by the hare Gav ,but I still love catching them beiing as tall as they can, so all credit. well done !!

Buddy "punch"..................to me you have added colour maybe saturation in the edit and it's a tad too much for my taste... Mate to me you siimply have veggies between the hare's face and your lens and that's knocking back detail and contrast..it's ever so faint buddy but I'm as sure as I can be sommit is there.?

As always buddy keep chippiing away you are doing great kiddo (y)

Do you know about levels re contrast or punch as Mark put it?

Hi again Gav , your post where you quoted mine , I think the first pic in your reply is a major improvement to my eyes . When I see your first post , like Stu , I immediately thought dead Nettle stems , I remember one year in particular these were a royal pain in the .... for me when photographing Hares . Try and keep them in mind for the future , either bend , snap or try and pull them up out the way . If there are normally a pair of Hares as you say , there is a good chance he has seen his buddy maybe , and that`s making him stand . We all differ , but your photo is probably on a borderline where I would crop , if the Hare were any smaller , I may not delete it , but I probably wouldn`t waist time working on it . Like Stu said , your doing good , I think we will be seeing some even nicer images coming from you soon .

Gav crop wise i'd have cut in just right of the.... is it a dry nettle stem from last year ? ,that bright upwards stem is such a distraction bro...( Des has beaten me too that I ran off mid post to see a mummy frog carrying a tapole and depositing it (y) :D :cool: so cool hope she carries the other 3.....soz bud I still get silly excited)

Anyways

..mate a personal view forget about rules treat each image on it's merits do what pleases your eyes buddy it's your fun (y) I also agree with Des it is a cool effort mate it's lovely catching a hare upright like this........I hear Mark's mixed emotion to that response by the hare Gav ,but I still love catching them beiing as tall as they can, so all credit. well done !!

Buddy "punch"..................to me you have added colour maybe saturation in the edit and it's a tad too much for my taste... Mate to me you siimply have veggies between the hare's face and your lens and that's knocking back detail and contrast..it's ever so faint buddy but I'm as sure as I can be sommit is there.?

As always buddy keep chippiing away you are doing great kiddo (y)

Do you know about levels re contrast or punch as Mark put it?
Hi Stu,
Good to hear the frogs are going well!! fingers crossed for their tads :)
Thank you, looking back at it I have added a tad to much, I may have miss understood, I had the metering wrong so I tried to recover the light and colours.
I was laying in last years tall reed grass and I had seen the Hare coming so froze instead of trying to push forward a little
New edit below
Hi again Gav , your post where you quoted mine , I think the first pic in your reply is a major improvement to my eyes . When I see your first post , like Stu , I immediately thought dead Nettle stems , I remember one year in particular these were a royal pain in the .... for me when photographing Hares . Try and keep them in mind for the future , either bend , snap or try and pull them up out the way . If there are normally a pair of Hares as you say , there is a good chance he has seen his buddy maybe , and that`s making him stand . We all differ , but your photo is probably on a borderline where I would crop , if the Hare were any smaller , I may not delete it , but I probably wouldn`t waist time working on it . Like Stu said , your doing good , I think we will be seeing some even nicer images coming from you soon .
Hi, I was using last years dead grass to hide in but I failed to clear it as I had seen the Hare, Thank you, fingers crossed I'll get something better

Thank you all

Last edit - Can't polish a turd but you can roll it through photoshop :LOL::LOL: Flickr link -

Hare in first light

Hi Stu,
Good to hear the frogs are going well!! fingers crossed for their tads :)
Thank you, looking back at it I have added a tad to much, I may have miss understood, I had the metering wrong so I tried to recover the light and colours.
I was laying in last years tall reed grass and I had seen the Hare coming so froze instead of trying to push forward a little
New edit below

Hi, I was using last years dead grass to hide in but I failed to clear it as I had seen the Hare, Thank you, fingers crossed I'll get something better

Thank you all

Last edit - Can't polish a turd but you can roll it through photoshop :LOL::LOL: Flickr link -

Hare in first light by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

That's the one Gav - brilliant.

Lovely shot and only something I can dream of.
That said, I'm glad I read the full thread before typing. I thought the OOF grasses were some strange form of lens flare, which I do find distracting. Now I know what it is, I can understand why they are there. :)

That's the one Gav - brilliant.
Thank you (y)

Lovely shot and only something I can dream of.
That said, I'm glad I read the full thread before typing. I thought the OOF grasses were some strange form of lens flare, which I do find distracting. Now I know what it is, I can understand why they are there. :)
Thank you, glad you read it, it's due to a strange man hiding in the grass :LOL:

Shuddup already................. there is nothing strange what so ever about hiding in long grass from fluffy fings or dressing as a tree. for that matter.... :exit:

Yes mate the last one for me too rock'n' roll (y)

oh and" roll it in photoshop" is pure class Gav :cool: :LOL: plus fanks for the froggy wishes all digits crossed bud now she's gotta feed it !! Soz for the derail mate I'm like a kid get too excited, just imagine translating that into a hare or deer right in front of me.....how I ever nab a sharp frame is a miracle :banghead:

Shuddup already................. there is nothing strange what so ever about hiding in long grass from fluffy fings or dressing as a tree. for that matter.... :exit:

Yes mate the last one for me too rock'n' roll (y)

oh and" roll it in photoshop" is pure class Gav :cool: :LOL: plus fanks for the froggy wishes all digits crossed bud now she's gotta feed it !! Soz for the derail mate I'm like a kid get too excited, just imagine translating that into a hare or deer right in front of me.....how I ever nab a sharp frame is a miracle :banghead:
Thanks Stu (y) don't worry about the derail, love hearing about animal projects :)

I like the comp and increase in contrast in the 2nd shot just fine and it's not pixelating/noisy like in the cropped, last shot. Good job, Gav.

All been said and you've ended up with a very decent image Gav. If you're using PS, have a look at levels, which might help with the contrast in that chellenging light.

I will say, it's refreshing to see somebody willing to take advice on board and put it into practice. Good stuff. (y)

All been said and you've ended up with a very decent image Gav. If you're using PS, have a look at levels, which might help with the contrast in that chellenging light.

I will say, it's refreshing to see somebody willing to take advice on board and put it into practice. Good stuff. (y)
Thank you Dale, I've been reading the software manual (Affinity Photo) and getting to grips with it slowly :LOL:

Thanks again :)

Back